Suggestion that high fat diet could reduce type 2 diabetes risk: Diabetes UK's response

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Behind-the-headlines-Dairy-diet-to-beat-diabetes/

I read this link with interest and a little bit of OH MY GOD!

"There is a story in today’s Daily Express about a study that has suggested a high fat diet could reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.

But we at Diabetes UK do not think this study represents a breakthrough, and will not be changing our diet advice"

This bit too:

"However, this does not mean that adding high fat dairy products to your diet will actively help to protect against Type 2 diabetes and we would not recommend this."

It's interesting that DUK fail to see the other side of the coin which is that low fat diets are consistently being shown to be more harmful than higher fat diets.

"This doesn't support our view, therefore we're ignoring it" - is how one could see this response!!

WHY?!?!?!?!?!!?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
All this argument over which is best, high fat or low fat... what is wrong with being somewhere between the two?

I think low fat (presumably high carb) diets are unhealthy, but equally, if not more so, is a high fat low carb diet that goes to the extreme of excluding fruit and the majority of vegetables.

And who are we talking about anyway, diabetics or the general population? I just don't get it - there's no 'one size fits all' approach, we're all unique individuals and what works for some may not work for others.

Reactions: 9 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All this argument over which is best, high fat or low fat... what is wrong with being somewhere between the two?

I think low fat (presumably high carb) diets are unhealthy, but equally, if not more so, is a high fat low carb diet that goes to the extreme of excluding fruit and the majority of vegetables.

And who are we talking about anyway, diabetics or the general population? I just don't get it - there's no 'one size fits all' approach, we're all unique individuals and what works for some may not work for others.
The study had looked at dairy fat intake, an observational study including 15000 people in Malmoe in southern Sweden. The ones that consumed most diary fat had the least risk of developing diabetes.

The study does not recommend anything, and says nothing about excluding vegetables or anything else.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
The study had looked at dairy fat intake, an observational study including 15000 people in Malmoe in southern Sweden. The ones that consumed most diary fat had the least risk of developing diabetes.

The study does not recommend anything, and says nothing about excluding vegetables or anything else.
Do you have the link to the original article?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have the link to the original article?
No, but I have a report from the conference where it was presented yesterday. In Swedish. Will keep looking for something in English.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consensus on this forum is that Diabetes UK is literally the devil conspiring with GPs to murder patients, so what's your point? We all "know" this

Reactions: 3 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
"This doesn't support our view, therefore we're ignoring it" - is how one could see this response!!

WHY?!?!?!?!?!!?

Or "one" could see DUK's approach is that it may be better to take a more moderate approach to both carbs and fat?

Personally I would say that a very high fat diet is no better than a very high carb diet but for different reasons. As a very high fat diet will cause more insulin resistance and therefore is counter productive for diabetics on the other hand a very high carb diet is going to be disastrous for bg levels so my opinion is that a reduced carb diet with no added fat is the more sensible approach.

I dont expect you to agree with me but as I said it is my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Consensus on this forum is that Diabetes UK is literally the devil conspiring with GPs to murder patients, so what's your point? We all "know" this

I think that consensus on this forum may appear to show that "Diabetes UK is literally the devil conspiring with GPs to murder patients" but in reality that is purely the opinions of a few prolific posters with radical dietary views.

I still believe that in reality most people think that DUK does a **** good job and without their money, aid and lobbying a lot less would be being done to help diabetics.

Unfortunately there are some who think that because DUK doesnt directly support what they believe that they are wrong about everything, a particularly tunnel visioned view IMHO.

Reactions: 9 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a webcast of the presentation here.
http://www.easdvirtualmeeting.org/resources/18347

unfortunately we don't get to hear all the questions and answers. The question we do get to hear relates to the Epic interact study(of which the Malmo study is a part of but the Medscape article linked to by Catherine does gives some answers from the presenter. (link repeated in hope that you don't have to sign in with this version)
The Epic collaboration ( all the countries combined rather than one country) have also published a study in the last year on the type of foods more associated with mortality in those with diabetes as compared with those without . Presumably Diabetes UK should also take that paper into account .
http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/files/Sluik.pdf

Added which just goes to show that studies have to be looked at as a whole.

The same presenter, at the 2011 presented on an earlier study from the same cohort with the same data. http://www.easdvirtualmeeting.org/resources/13096This found that a high intake of animal protein in particular from processed meats, poultry and eggs was associated with an increased risk of T2. ( fish and plant proteins were protective as were fibrous cereals products ) . Carbs as a whole were found to have opposite effects in men and women (men protective, women higher risk) Replacing carbs with protein though increased risk. Fats except at the highest level in men were found to be protective and I suggest this is why they looked further at the dairy intake. The conclusion as snipped from the lectures
conclusion malmo protein.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AnnieC

Or "one" could see DUK's approach as it may be better to take a more moderate approach to both carbs and fat?

Personally I would say that a very high fat diet is no better than a very high carb diet but for different reasons. As a very high fat diet will cause more insulin resistance and therefore is counter productive for diabetics on the other hand a very high carb diet is going to be disastrous for bg levels so my opinion is that a reduced carb diet with no added fat is the more sensible approach.

I dont expect you to agree with me but as I said it is my opinion.

Well my diet is down the middle road moderate in both carbs and fat

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
some in American diabetic ass must have choked writing this on page 3
http://www.professional.diabetes.or...=DP&s_src=vanity&s_subsrc=nutritionguidelines

MUFAs/PUFAs [mono, polly fats] In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich eating pattern may benefit
glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective
alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look on the bright side. The healthy diet referred to did not mention carbohydrates so half the battle is won.

On the fat question I think some ground is lost when it is referred to as High Fat (bad image). I prefer to think of it more as Not the Low Fat cult. I deal with this when I put all the foods that say on their packing Low Fat back on the shelf in the supermarket.

Have you been to the yogurt aisle where the vast majority of them say No Fat on the tub.

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

@SidBonkers. I really didn't know that a Lchf diet can make insulin resistance worse? Is this correct? Getting concerned now.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SidBonkers. I really didn't know that a Lchf diet can make insulin resistance worse? Is this correct? Getting concerned now.
it made mine better ..no ones IR/BG has gotten worse on LCHF that I know of. have a google of the subject

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read it again but from the first reading didn't it say that high fat could mean too many calories and make you fat. With a thin person they might be grateful for that but the others needn't overdo it.

alliebee

Thanks. I'm into my second week now and I'm feeling so good. And best of all my blood sugars are down. Average 5 to 6 in the day....ive lost 8 lbs too.

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
some in American diabetic ass must have choked writing this on page 3
http://www.professional.diabetes.org/admin/UserFiles/0 - Sean/dc132042 FINAL.pdf?utm_source=Offline&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=nutritionguidelines&utm_campaign=DP&s_src=vanity&s_subsrc=nutritionguidelines

MUFAs/PUFAs [mono, polly fats] In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich eating pattern may benefit
glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective
alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern.
Why do you think that ? Their reports are well referenced and seem to follow from the available evidence.
In the 2008 version the ADA was summarising effects of poly and mono saturated fats favourably and sat fats less so. That hasn't changed.. Since then there have been a couple of big Mediterranean diet trials that have emphasised this )
The most recent report though is I would say easier to read. al