Fasting test on Metformin?

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm having my first fasting blood test tomorrow, three months after starting Metformin. But the thing is, isn't it dangerous to fast AND take Metformin? The drug is supposed to lower the blood sugar but if you don't eat, won't it get dangerously low in those 12 hours of no food?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask Dr but I think you'll be fine, you can miss the morning one/two, the morning of the test

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if it was me and I wanted to be sure, I would take meds , don't eat after 9pm, don't take morning metformin, get test, have something to eat, take evening med,
if you want to you can have your morning metformin after your test or miss it completely
depending what DR says

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Miss the Metformin if you're unsure.
I'm supposed to take three a day but I decided I wanted to try diet first so ditched two of them almost straight away.
You'll come to no harm.
Maybe it would be a good idea to Google Metformin at this stage and see what it is and what it does.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies, people.

Another thing has occured to me now; perhaps I don't need to fast for the test...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ring your dr and ask, normally they want a fasting test

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thanks for the replies, people.

Another thing has occured to me now; perhaps I don't need to fast for the test...
Your doctor should have made that clear.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack's right. If they've asked for a fasting test (and they always have with me), then you shouldn't eat anything after 9pm the previous night. You can drink water but nothing else.

On the Metformin, I've carried on taking it and I've been OK but I suppose missing out the one the evening before and then having one after you've had your test would be OK

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetic nurse has a bit of a habit of skimming over the details. I'm sure I must have just assumed it was a fasting test again.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that 2131. If it's common practice for 3 or 6 monhtly tests to be done fasting, then I'll assume the same is for me. I've just taken my evening Metformin at 8pm and will have my test around 8am tomorrow morning.

Cheers for the help, everyone.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thanks for that 2131. If it's common practice for 3 or 6 monhtly tests to be done fasting, then I'll assume the same is for me. I've just taken my evening Metformin at 8pm and will have my test around 8am tomorrow morning.

Cheers for the help, everyone.
I hate those fasting tests.
The fact I can't eat means I want to.
Most nights I don't eat after that time anyway but fasting nights!!!!
I'd never manage with that Ramadam and similar.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Come to think of it ... are there any practicing Muslims on here?
If so how do you manage Ramadam and fasting?

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since I've been on metformin I don't have fasting tests

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only time I have to fast is when they are including a cholesterol test. Otherwise, for HbA1c tests, there is no need to fast. We don't get fasting glucose tests after diagnosis.

K

Kat100

I am on metformin with blood tests every 3 months , and the annual examination and bloods and urIne testing are done fasting ...
I don't eat For 10 and 12 hours before the test but I do take my medication ....

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm told if it's going to be a fasting test, but I've found in general that if I accidentally do a 12 hour fast my liver kindly takes care of things for me and does a big dump, so my glucose level will actually go up.

Robbity

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure that missing one dose of Metformin will have no noticeable impact on your blood glucose.

If so how do you manage Ramadam and fasting?
I found this which, in particular, states: "
Metformin. Patients treated with metformin alone may safely fast because the possibility of hypoglycemia is minimal."