Low carb and medication

A

AnnieC

I was browsing the Diabetes.co.uk web site and was suprised to come across this as I have not heard it mentioned before on the forum so wondered if anyone on medication has found they have more hypos since being on the low carb diet.... I quote....

People who are taking medication for type 2 diabetes should be aware that low carb diets could raise the likelihood of hypoglycemia so it’s recommended to speak with your doctor before starting such a diet.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's typical of DUK to not explain the issue properly and then manoeuvre it to work against a low-carb diet. What it should say is that certain drugs in particular Gliclazide which stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin can cause hypos if your carb intake is lower than needed by the prescribed dose. Your medication dosage should be matched to your blood sugar levels which in turn will be influenced by diet. Eating low carb isn't a diet; it's a way of eating that many diabetics follow and I've been low'ish-carb for 10 years or so.

Reactions: 8 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
this is actually a great reason to low carb, if your hypoing whilst eating low carb you can reduce the meds that are causing the hypos, its the lack of carbs combined with the meds that cause the hypo, take away the meds and no more hypos,

what a great post @AnnieC more reason to low carb :)

Reactions: 9 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Great post indeed @AnnieC In fact low carb has seen some T2 members here drop from a Basal/Bolus regime to no diabetic meds at all and for me it has actually enabled me to keep my insulin use to a minimum so apart from going a little low sometimes-I don't suffer with hypo's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi. It's typical of DUK to not explain the issue properly and then manoeuvre it to work against a low-carb diet.

Annie is saying she read it about it on the Diabetes.co.uk website which belongs to the owners of this forum, your not the first to get the two confused.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Annie is saying she read it about it on the Diabetes.co.uk website which belongs to the owners of this forum, your not the first to get the two confused.
Woops, yes you are right. Hmm not the best bit of advice coming from the owners of this site; normally it's excellent.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
'speak with your doctor before starting such a diet.'

That is believed to be poor advice?

K

Kat100

I was browsing the Diabetes.co.uk web site and was suprised to come across this as I have not heard it mentioned before on the forum so wondered if anyone on medication has found they have more hypos since being on the low carb diet.... I quote....

People who are taking medication for type 2 diabetes should be aware that low carb diets could raise the likelihood of hypoglycemia so it’s recommended to speak with your doctor before starting such a diet.
Medication and diet may always need adapting and of course the health of the individual ....

A

AnnieC

Hi. It's typical of DUK to not explain the issue properly and then manoeuvre it to work against a low-carb diet. What it should say is that certain drugs in particular Gliclazide which stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin can cause hypos if your carb intake is lower than needed by the prescribed dose. Your medication dosage should be matched to your blood sugar levels which in turn will be influenced by diet. Eating low carb isn't a diet; it's a way of eating that many diabetics follow and I've been low'ish-carb for 10 years or so.

It was not DUK it was on this web site Diabetes.co.uk home pages

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Woops, yes you are right. Hmm not the best bit of advice coming from the owners of this site; normally it's excellent.

I don't know, depending on what meds the person is on it is advisable to talk to your Dr if your lowering your carb intake, this would be particularly so for someone who is on insulin and are unsure on how to adjust their doses.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well this thread interests me because I've seen my GP this morning. I requested that I stop taking my beta blockers because my blood pressure is getting too low because I have been low carbing, and therefore losing weight which helped lower my blood pressure, and he agreed. He also told me to stop taking metformin because I don't need it because I eat low carb and my BG's are fine. I stopped taking warfarin a few weeks ago too. So the only medication I am on now is an anti-depressant. Now my GP knew I was following LCHF already (he has known for 6 months) so it's just a case of being sensible and if BG's get low asking your doctor if you should stop/reduce the meds. He's unlikely to do anything before then because he needs to see that you are committed to eating low carb before he agrees to stop/reduce your meds, so there is always going to be a period of adjustment especially if (as @noblehead says) you are on insulin.

My GP was delighted and said he wished he had more patients like me. :)

Reactions: 13 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well this thread interests me because I've seen my GP this morning. I requested that I stop taking my beta blockers because my blood pressure is getting too low because I have been low carbing, and therefore losing weight which helped lower my blood pressure, and he agreed. He also told me to stop taking metformin because I don't need it because I eat low carb and my BG's are fine. I stopped taking warfarin a few weeks ago too. So the only medication I am on now is an anti-depressant. Now my GP knew I was following LCHF already (he has known for 6 months) so it's just a case of being sensible and if BG's get low asking your doctor if you should stop/reduce the meds. He's unlikely to do anything before then because he needs to see that you are committed to eating low carb before he agrees to stop/reduce your meds, so there is always going to be a period of adjustment especially if (as @noblehead says) you are on insulin.

My GP was delighted and said he wished he had more patients like me. :)

That's all incredibly positive Zand. You have done really well, quietly chipping away at it.

(Even though your boys aren't getting decent results this year. )

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's all incredibly positive Zand. You have done really well, quietly chipping away at it.
(Even though your boys aren't getting decent results this year. )

Thank you :) I am so happy with my visit to the doctor that what happened yesterday isn't even going to upset me at all today!:) ( So you didn't need to whisper)

Reactions: 4 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
@Maybird Why did you delete your post? I was going to reply to it and it disappeared?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
@MaybirdC was here? i must have missed it

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
She was but before I could reply the plug was pulled! :wideyed: I can't imagine why? Hmmmm :watching:

I thought duplicate accounts were against forum rules?