Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
guys lets get this back on track please .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@douglas99

I thought I was a moderate 1/3 lifestyler for years (50 to be exact).

When I actually took the time to review my lifestyle I actually eat about 1/3rd of what other diabetics eat as a whole with portion size. About an 1/4 of what my friends n family non diabetics eat. I just thought I was normal!!

Then when (thanks to @phoenix) I took an analysis of fat, carbs n vits n minerals etc I was actually way down for the physical work that I do.

So although up to 10 months ago I used to say to low carb and hi carbers eat moderately... My eating mideerately seems to be far less to everyone else....

To everyone.... Please also be aware of portion size....

I still don't actually classify myself in any bracket. I just do a lifestyle of eating that has kept me lean and muscly and complication free.

Portion size.. Is still relevent. Whether people are 1/3rds or not.

What worries me most is that the vitamins and minerals in our veg n fruit has so diminished tbrough chemicals etc... Whatever lifestyle choices we take are we really getting adequate supplies of necessary vits n minerals for our body sizes and lifestyles....

Perhaps instead of monitoring and making claims of liw carb, 1/3rd etc we ought to actually be stating how much of the RDA VITAMINS & Minerals we're getting..

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi was diagnosed as type 2 about a month ago now. Lost almost a stone in weight through cutting out the obvious, although I would like to lose another stone to bring me back to pre children if I can.
Ive been considering the lchf diet and printed off some recipes yet to try. I spend hours in the shops reading labels trying to see what I can and can't eat. I always go for low fat low saturate options and if the carbs have a high sugar content I do not buy. Such a nerd I am cos just realised that I am doing the low carb already. Although I do have some multi seeded bread as this doesn't seem to have much of effect on my bg. Also I do have a couple of new potatoes or a small/1/2 jkt spud. I'm just confused as to the fats/saturates. I guess it's hard as always had it drummed into us that's fats/saturates especially are bad. My bg readings are going down, mornings on waking they are always in the 6's (5.6 this morning) and pre meals mostly in the 5's, post meals are mostly always in the 7's or below. I have had a couple of 4's pre meals. I'm just confused as to the fats, carbs/sugar and what I should be buying from the labels. My last hb1c on diagnosis was 51 and my cholesterol was high so I really want to bring both down and think I'm getting myself in state as im so confused.
One thing to consider is that a LCHF diet can improve cholesterol and triglyceride numbers even better than high carb/low fat. :eek:

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One thing to consider is that a LCHF diet can improve cholesterol and triglyceride numbers even better than high carb/low fat. :eek:

That's the problem with claims like this taking the thread off track,- sometimes it doesn't, in which case the only important thing is the three month blood test.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@douglas99

I thought I was a moderate 1/3 lifestyler for years (50 to be exact).

When I actually took the time to review my lifestyle I actually eat about 1/3rd of what other diabetics eat as a whole with portion size. About an 1/4 of what my friends n family non diabetics eat. I just thought I was normal!!

Then when (thanks to @phoenix) I took an analysis of fat, carbs n vits n minerals etc I was actually way down for the physical work that I do.

So although up to 10 months ago I used to say to low carb and hi carbers eat moderately... My eating mideerately seems to be far less to everyone else....

To everyone.... Please also be aware of portion size....

I still don't actually classify myself in any bracket. I just do a lifestyle of eating that has kept me lean and muscly and complication free.

Portion size.. Is still relevent. Whether people are 1/3rds or not.

What worries me most is that the vitamins and minerals in our veg n fruit has so diminished tbrough chemicals etc... Whatever lifestyle choices we take are we really getting adequate supplies of necessary vits n minerals for our body sizes and lifestyles....

Perhaps instead of monitoring and making claims of liw carb, 1/3rd etc we ought to actually be stating how much of the RDA VITAMINS & Minerals we're getting..

Very, very true, and important for the op to decide how they want to go.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry for typo mistakes, cannot now edit them all!!

I've had low b12 and pernicious anaemia diagnosed many, many years ago, fibromyalgia, palindromic rheumatism, abnormal ANA, diabetic amyotrophy, over target B12 now to the extreme of being investigated for luekaemia, liver and spleen damage plus other minor things.... I put this all down to thinking I was moderate everything for eating.

and in fact I wasn't due to portion size and actually on evaluation wasn't having a good balance of vitamins and minerals.

Every single diagnosis listed above has been removed since @phoenix gave me advice on a posting that made me look at everything, not just carbs.

I am more aware nowadays of vitamins and minerals than carbs and fats and proteins.

I just hope that ever person on any lifestyle choice looks at these essentials.. Not just vit d or b12 etc... Every vitamin is essential..please look at your viramin and mineral intake

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very, very true, and important for the op to decide how they want to go.
Seriously doubt the OP is still with us, in her place I would run a mile to get away from all the nice people trying to convert me to their cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pip16
Hello Pip 16

From your Original Post, It looks like you're getting your head around all this already. And as you get further into the low carb thing (especially, I believe, less wheat) your head will clear!
Well done on your research and practice. I think you've had some really useful advice and encouragement on here - up to the top two posts on the second page. And that's the point of the site. Try to ignore the squabbling which follows the first bit!

Let us know how you get on. Thanks for posting,
Jane.

Reactions: 2 people
P

Pip16

Hi Jane oh my word, what have I started? Thank you for the encouragement. I've had brilliant readings all day, 4's and 5's with the lchf. It's making me quite impatient now for the next meal so I can test my blood. Exciting! Been and done a big shop tonight with recipes from these forums, so I'm looking forward to a baking weekend. My next Lot of bloods aren't till mid December so I'm hoping that I'll see some improvement in both the hb1ac and cholesterol and that I continue to lose weight. Fingers crossed x

Calm down guys. Really it's down to choice and whatever diet works for that person. Ive seen improvements in my readings through just doing today lchf and hope it continues and my next lot of bloods in December are so much better than the last. If not I'll just reconsider and change my diet again if need be or carry on for a bit longer and see. I guess it's probably going to take some time to find whatever works for me. But thank you all for the advise and ideas. I'm learning so much from these forums and will continue to ask questions and some that will seem stupid I'm sure. But I'm very grateful for any help and ideas. I'm so glad I found this site. X

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Jane oh my word, what have I started? Thank you for the encouragement. I've had brilliant readings all day, 4's and 5's with the lchf. It's making me quite impatient now for the next meal so I can test my blood. Exciting! Been and done a big shop tonight with recipes from these forums, so I'm looking forward to a baking weekend. My next Lot of bloods aren't till mid December so I'm hoping that I'll see some improvement in both the hb1ac and cholesterol and that I continue to lose weight. Fingers crossed x

Calm down guys. Really it's down to choice and whatever diet works for that person. Ive seen improvements in my readings through just doing today lchf and hope it continues and my next lot of bloods in December are so much better than the last. If not I'll just reconsider and change my diet again if need be or carry on for a bit longer and see. I guess it's probably going to take some time to find whatever works for me. But thank you all for the advise and ideas. I'm learning so much from these forums and will continue to ask questions and some that will seem stupid I'm sure. But I'm very grateful for any help and ideas. I'm so glad I found this site. X

Excellent figures.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit worrying, as that's appeared twice now, and really should be pointed out.
Maybe the rush to agree is overcoming the warnings, and the fear of feeling vaguely hungry?

But, at the risk of repeating advice, protein can cause problems if kidney function is impaired, excess protein turns to glucose, so protein is always worth watching.
what you say and what you say you do is in conflict ..incase a new person takes on your protein intake as being the norm..
on a 2100 cal diet, you would have about 175g protein...your protein is about 3 times the RDA

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

you haven't started anything, some people are here for their own amusement.
if you drink plenty of water and take extra salt the first month, keep the fats up for energy and fullness with lots of LC veg, you will be fine, I ate coconut oil by the spoon the first week, I had a hard time getting off the carbs
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That's the problem with claims like this taking the thread off track,- sometimes it doesn't, in which case the only important thing is the three month blood test.
What? Why would that be the only important thing? :chicken: How is mentioning the potential affects of LCHF diet on lipids off track from the thread? By the way, it is not just a "claim", it is a factual statement.