Flu jab side effects

D

Deleted member 45091

hi they said its not live etc and cant cause the flu. I never had it while I was younger until prob bout 7 years ago, everytime I had it I got bit muscle pain in the arm that's fine but always felt **** after I had it with sore throat had ketones etc so I stopped having it about 4 years ago. keep getting letters advising me to have it, just a personal preference but I don't trust the research etc that's even gone into it, I personally avoid much as possible il take half a parecetomel if things get really bad, I was bad last year was ill for over 2 weeks in all, was bout bed bound for first few days, but made sure water was my priority then small amounts of food even when felt sick I was holding my nose at one point to eat something, id felt id been hit by a train everybone was aching but I got over it, I wont be having the flu jab again

michelereid2002

Here we go again on 2009 I got my flu jag ending up in hospital feeling so ill blood sugars spiked so high I didn't know where I was feeling sick they gave me an antmetic sickness drug threw iv. And man I didn't know what time or day it was now I have on my records under allergies FLU JAG severe reactions not to be administered thank god. Now I take my chances but still can't get over saying to my mum why ru up its sat and you don't work then pitty it was only thursday she wished it was sat.
Get well soon and keep an eye on your blood sugars

SugarPlums

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr jeves of Boots(a non-profit organisation) and others say it's all in the mind/fake flu, problem solved ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
11 days later and i'm still recovering from one of the worst colds i've ever had, I can honestly say I was well and in good control before I had my flu jab, so it would appear that the jab can weaken the immune system making you more susceptable to illnesses, also an interesting read here to perhaps consider before making the decision to have your jab...
http://www.ithinkwecouldbefriends.com/2 ... -flu-shot/

I cannot advise other individuals on what to do but I will think carefully before making the decision for mine next year.

:thumbup:

iHs

Normally I dont get any problems with the flu jab but weirdly this year I did........my bg levels rose fairly high for about 6hrs so needed to do corrections.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just to let members know that you can get the flu jab at any Asda Pharmacy free of charge, they take your details and write to your gp surgery to say you've had it done, beats taking time off to attend those flu jab clinics that are always held at inconvenient times.

shakeyjake66

Janeknight said:
Thirdly, she had no idea of all the toxins present in flu jabs, including mercury

There's no mercury in UK flu jabs. The flu jabs in the USA have Thimerosal, which is a mercury derived preservative. None in ours since a long time ago though.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my jab for the first time this afternoon and kind of wished I hadn't read the forum now!
I'm sure everything will be fine. Have my first Christmas dinner out tomorrow so hope so.

Sula

I wouldn't touch the flu' jab or any other jab with a barge pole. If you knew what went into these vaccinations you wouldn't either. The 'flu is hyped up, I had 'flu when I was 7 in 1957 and I was very ill. Since then, I have had bad colds etc etc but never flu. My daughter had pneumonia three years ago, she came home and I gave her garlic, and honey, ginger and lemon drinks together with sage tea and she was over it very quickly. Sage tea is very powerful as is garlic, sage tea cured my other daughters chicken pox in 24 hours.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sage tea is very good for colds and coughs but I think chicken pox will last longer than 24 hours no matter what it is treated with IMHO
CAROL

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since having my flu jab in Friday aside from a sore arm I've had no side effects.

The nurse who have me the jab said I was likely to get "some sniffles" but so far all ok. It does seem to be inconsistent advice from even the health care professionals though about what to expect.

CliveB

I had the jab two days ago. I've been having very high sugars which are hard to bring down - though they do come down eventually. I was having high sugars before I had the jab, though I think the problem's been worse since I had it. Even taking much larger doses of insulin (I'm on an omnipod pump) than I would usually doesn't seem to make much difference - my glucose level still soars. If it hadn't been a problem before I'd just put it down to the jab, but I'm finding it all very confusing!

This sound familiar?

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although the flu jab contains weakened virus or proteins with the virus particles removed, you can't catch flu from it. The jab fools the immune system into thinking it's been invaded in order for it to make antibodies against flu which will be ready to act if you come into contact with the virus at a later date. When people feel ill after the jab it's the body's immune response that causes the ill feelings. The human immune response is immensely complex and involves many cells,chemicals and messengers and when we are ill, the horrible feelings are mostly due to the immune response which is necessary to kill the invader.
Lots of people can have the flu jab with no side effects. Some (including me) normally have no side effects but occasionally feel rotten for a few days after. I tell myself my immune response must be really good if I feel bad! That's not to say the effect of the vaccine isn't as good if you don't feel ill afterwards

Reactions: 2 people

jessica16

I've heard you get the flu after you have the flu jab, it teaches your body to fight off the flu to prepare it for if you catch a flu

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had mine last Saturday, the first time I've had one can't say I have any ill effects.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've heard you get the flu after you have the flu jab, it teaches your body to fight off the flu to prepare it for if you catch a flu

That's not the case, if you happen to get the flu after receiving the jab then it's purely coincidental, I've only had flu once and that was before I got my first flu jab, had the jab done for several years now and never had the flu since.

Reactions: 2 people

moz1

Like anyone you can have an adverse reaction to the flu vaccine. It is a new strain of vaccine each year so how you react to last years is no guarantee how you will react to the current one. I normally feel **** from between a few days to 2 weeks just depends on particular mix that year.