Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did Pavlos .... about 45 mins later back to 6.8.
So 6,5 to 6,6 to 7,8 to 6,5 in roughly hourly intervals. That does not seem too bad. All counts are well within NICE recommended ranges( although some of us would say a bit on the high side of those) and your 2h peak is within 2mmol of your pre prandial count ( actually within 1,3 mmol)

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
So 6,5 to 6,6 to 7,8 to 6,5 in roughly hourly intervals. That does not seem too bad. All counts are well within NICE recommended ranges( although some of us would say a bit on the high side of those) and your 2h peak is within 2mmol of your pre prandial count ( actually within 1,3 mmol)

I also get the feeling I'm not getting enough carbs in the meals throughout the day. basically lettuce and turkey breast (lunch), veg at dinner, with some very lean mice patties and avocado and maybe a light omelet for brekkie.

Can you suggest some foods I can add with some appropriate carb levels please?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also get the feeling I'm not getting enough carbs in the meals throughout the day. basically lettuce and turkey breast (lunch), veg at dinner, with some very lean mice patties and avocado and maybe a light omelet for brekkie.

Can you suggest some foods I can add with some appropriate carb levels please?
It seems to me like you are trying to eat both low carb and low fat. I am not sure that is a viable long term diet as it must, if my guess is right leave you rather short of energy, with difficulty concentrating.

Have you been following this for long. Do you feel ok on it?

Do you count your approximate carb and calorie daily intake?

Are you trying to lose weight at the moment? Have you been losing weight or have you found it difficult to shift?

Sorry about the avalanche of questions.

Pavlos

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
It seems to me like you are trying to eat both low carb and low fat. I am not sure that is a viable long term diet as it must, if my guess is right leave you rather short of energy, with difficulty concentrating.

Have you been following this for long. Do you feel ok on it?

Do you count your approximate carb and calorie daily intake?

Are you trying to lose weight at the moment? Have you been losing weight or have you found it difficult to shift?

Sorry about the avalanche of questions.

Pavlos

Don't apologise. You're helping me and I deeply appreciate it mate :)

You're dead right :) I'm not trying to do low fat / low carb but that's a consequence of removing foods (breads / processed stuff / sugars / everything else I know is bad for Type 2) from the meal plan and not knowing what on earth to do to replace it.

I've been doing this for three months and no, I don't always feel OK. Some morning light trembles in some fingers (they all disappear once I eat) and yes, concentrating takes some effort. Also a little short tempered. Sometimes up and OK, sometimes just feel like I have the handling of this not as good as I'd like it, but I just don't know how to address it.

Nope, the weight is excellent as I've shed around 12 kilos and I know it's enough in my own mind and so does the doc :)

Look fwd to your thoughts :) Mike

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on the loss of weight.

It's possible that the new leaner you is less insulin resistant as this improves with falling body fat percentage, and that you may be able to tolerate slightly more carbs.

I can not really answer what exactly you should be eating, but I can offer some pointers to help you arrive at your own answers.

I believe your glucose monitor and your body should guide you.

As you do not need to lose any more weight, start by calculating what is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight. An app like myfitnesspal will help you to easily determine this.

You then you need to decide what percentage of these calories should come from each of the three main macronutrient sources i.e. Carbs, fats, and proteins. You can again use my fitnesspal to record your preference: current orthodox nutritional advice is probably for something like 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% protein.

A lot of the people on this site have found it necessary to restrict their carbs in order to maintain good glycemic control. You should decide how much you need to restrict your carbs by trial and error based on your glucose counts. As this is zero sum gain, reducing your carbs and maintaining the same total number of calories means that you necessarily have to increase the calories you consume from the other two sources proteins or fats.

Increasing protein much above 20% starts being detrimental to kidney function, particularly for people with problems in this area. I believe I have read somewhere that we only need about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight.

Which brings us to fat. The source of evil according to modern nutritional theory. Assuming that you do not have another medical condition to prevent you from doing do, many on this site have found it beneficial to replace the calories lost to carb reduction with fats. They claim that they have seen improvements not only in their glucose levels but in their lipid counts as well.

I am currently experimenting along similar lines myself. It is not that I am actually going out of my way to eat fat, it is that I will not try to avoid it in the same way I did a couple of months ago. So I now chose butter instead of margarine or other low fat spreads, full fat rather than reduced fat cheeses and other dairy, olive oil dressings in salads.

It's fair to say that I am currently hesitantly dipping my finger in his area rather than having taken the full plunge. Others on here go as far as fortifying their coffee with butter and coconut oil.

I guess I want to test the water first and see what my lipid counts are like in three months time before moving further in this direction.

You can then use myfitnesspal to keep truck of your daily food, total calories and the percentage of calories from each source.

If you prefer there is an online version of myfitnesspal at
www.myfittnesspal.com

I hope the above is of help.

Pavlos

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well done on the loss of weight.

It's possible that the new leaner you is less insulin resistant as this improves with falling body fat percentage, and that you may be able to tolerate slightly more carbs.

I can not really answer what exactly you should be eating, but I can offer some pointers to help you arrive at your own answers.

I believe your glucose monitor and your body should guide you.

As you do not need to lose any more weight, start by calculating what is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight. An app like myfitnesspal will help you to easily determine this.

You then you need to decide what percentage of these calories should come from each of the three main macronutrient sources i.e. Carbs, fats, and proteins. You can again use my fitnesspal to record your preference: current orthodox nutritional advice is probably for something like 50% carbs, 30% fats and 20% protein.

A lot of the people on this site have found it necessary to restrict their carbs in order to maintain good glycemic control. You should decide how much you need to restrict your carbs by trial and error based on your glucose counts. As this is zero sum gain, reducing your carbs and maintaining the same total number of calories means that you necessarily have to increase the calories you consume from the other two sources proteins or fats.

Increasing protein much above 20% starts being detrimental to kidney function, particularly for people with problems in this area. I believe I have read somewhere that we only need about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight.

Which brings us to fat. The source of evil according to modern nutritional theory. Assuming that you do not have another medical condition to prevent you from doing do, many on this site have found it beneficial to replace the calories lost to carb reduction with fats. They claim that they have seen improvements not only in their glucose levels but in their lipid counts as well.

I am currently experimenting along similar lines myself. It is not that I am actually going out of my way to eat fat, it is that I will not try to avoid it in the same way I did a couple of months ago. So I now chose butter instead of margarine or other low fat spreads, full fat rather than reduced fat cheeses and other dairy, olive oil dressings in salads.

It's fair to say that I am currently hesitantly dipping my finger in his area rather than having taken the full plunge. Others on here go as far as fortifying their coffee with butter and coconut oil.

I guess I want to test the water first and see what my lipid counts are like in three months time before moving further in this direction.

You can then use myfitnesspal to keep truck of your daily food, total calories and the percentage of calories from each source.

If you prefer there is an online version of myfitnesspal at
www.myfittnesspal.com

I hope the above is of help.

Pavlos

It sure does Pavlos. I'm 6 feet tall and have gone from 90 down to 77.. That's more than enough for me. No way will i put it back on given my "new" diet :)

Everything else is great (cholesterol / LDL / Triglycericdes are classified as optimal) after a really bad result In June, so I'm happy with that.

I REALLY appreciate the tips and the time you took to write that lengthy response.

My best regards. Take care mate

Mike

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 this morning. I had a terrible night with leg cramps. I have been drinking diet tonic water on the recommendation of my Dr for the cramps and last week started taking Magnesium. Magnesium seemed to help for a day or tow, but last night was a shocker. It started like 6pm and got progressively worse all night, still cramping this morning. Has anyone got any suggestions? Oh I am on the LCHF diet and sticking to it.

I keep a pot of potassium supplements.
I don't take them all the time, but if I ever get cramps, I knock a couple of tablets back, and the cramps stop dead. Other people find magnesium does the same, but I've never needed to try it.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spot on five again this morning, about an hour later than last few days. Never last the 5's all yesterday again. Off to work I go now, one more Sunday next week then I get my Sundays back.....plus, I'm going to be off virtually all of November with banked overtime and untaken holidays!!

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this interesting as the recommended drug impleimentation with/after lifestyle mods
https://www.aace.com/files/aace_algorithm.pdf
upload_2014-10-19_17-18-52.png

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.8 for me again this morning, so all’s well on Planet Breathe.

Yesterday I took another 2 bags to a local charity shop, where I also left with a jacket! A brand new Jaeger, wool jacket, still with the original tags on, for £5!! I couldn’t believe my luck. It was looking at me as I walked into the shop, so it was obviously meant to be. It’ll go nicely with some smarter jeans and a sweater. Happy days.

Oh well. Today is a day for domestics, so the vacuum is calling me.

Play nicely boys and girls. :)

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.8 this morning. I had a terrible night with leg cramps. I have been drinking diet tonic water on the recommendation of my Dr for the cramps and last week started taking Magnesium. Magnesium seemed to help for a day or tow, but last night was a shocker. It started like 6pm and got progressively worse all night, still cramping this morning. Has anyone got any suggestions? Oh I am on the LCHF diet and sticking to it.

Another cause of muscle cramps, particularly in calves and feet, is low salt/sodium. Do you deliberately eat a low salt diet, as everyone is advised to do these days? It is said that people on low carb diets do need to watch salt levels don't get too low. Low salt can be worse for us than high salt. It is a fine balancing act.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone please explain this to me?

6.5 on rising B4 breakfast (avocado mash and a lamb chop) 6.6 one hour later and 7.8 2 hours later. Why would that be?

Apart from the excellent replies by @pavlosn can I ask if you re-tested that 7.8? It may have been a rogue reading. Personally, I would have re-tested.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also on this batch, which if you recall seemed to be a return to 'normality' after the previous rogue batch originally identified by @AndBreathe. Incidentally I have since adjusted the correction I made on that batch from 0.4 to 0.2.

Anyway, opposite end of my seesaw, 5.2 this morning.

I have decided my raised readings were probably due to that particular tub of strips. After starting a new tub I am back to normal.

Before tea last night 5.0 (Accuchek 4.7)
11-45pm before bed 4.7 (tested twice to confirm, readings 4.6 and 4.8. Didn't bother with Accuchek)
2-50am 5.8
This morning 5.3

My liver must have thought I was too low at 4.7 going to bed so gave me a present of unwanted glucose.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided my raised readings were probably due to that particular tub of strips. After starting a new tub I am back to normal.

Before tea last night 5.0 (Accuchek 4.7)
11-45pm before bed 4.7 (tested twice to confirm, readings 4.6 and 4.8. Didn't bother with Accuchek)
2-50am 5.8
This morning 5.3

My liver must have thought I was too low at 4.7 going to bed so gave me a present of unwanted glucose.

Same batch number, different tub?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, same batch number. The unreliable tub was the first tub I used out of the 10 new ones I ordered. Now on second tub and happy!

Hmmmmm. I deliberately kept away from this stream of conversation until now, but I've been having a larger number of outlyers in recent times, which are "corrected" on a re-test. It's pesky, and I seem to be romping my way through my strips. Now, to be fair at the start of the week, when my stress levels rocketed, I did have increased levels, which I have to accept as a reality. I didn't do my BP, but I imagine that might have been up a smidge for a couple of days too.

I must admit, I sometimes wonder if I'm far more sensitive, and critical of the variations, now I have an almost unlimited supply of strips. By unlimited, I mean, I can re-order at will, unlike when I'm away, and ordering 5 or so months' supply at a time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmmm. I deliberately kept away from this stream of conversation until now, but I've been having a larger number of outlyers in recent times, which are "corrected" on a re-test. It's pesky, and I seem to be romping my way through my strips. Now, to be fair at the start of the week, when my stress levels rocketed, I did have increased levels, which I have to accept as a reality. I didn't do my BP, but I imagine that might have been up a smidge for a couple of days too.

I must admit, I sometimes wonder if I'm far more sensitive, and critical of the variations, now I have an almost unlimited supply of strips. By unlimited, I mean, I can re-order at will, unlike when I'm away, and ordering 5 or so months' supply at a time.

I know just what you mean. Since I changed to the cheap Codefree strips I am also romping through them. I was far meaner with my testing when using the Accuchek cassettes that cost a small fortune. In all probability I am spending the same amount of money on strips, just testing a lot more. Note to self...... must stop this obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.