Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Please feel free to post all your favourite soup and stew ideas and tips .

I sometimes get stuck when fancy or need a change .

Same ' old ' repeated soups and stews can get a tad boring .

Some new ideas and inspiration are needed especially as we are approaching the coming winter .

K

Kat100

Have you tried aubergine tomatoes chickpeas tomatoes onion and garlic with a nice dash of lime juice and middle eastern spices ...like ginger and cinnamon ....yummmmie I call it a stew ..it's cooked in one pot ...serve with those mini pitta breads if you can have them ...or bulgar wheat...or something of choice ...

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't do my usual shopping this week (long story ) so I scratched around and found half a leek 1frozen courgette the end of a piece of celeriac 2cloves of garlic half a red chilli threw the lot in my pressure cooker covered with water and a veg stock cube ,cooked for about 10 mins then blitzed and served with a swirl of cream and it was delicious
CAROL

K

Kat100

I couldn't do my usual shopping this week (long story ) so I scratched around and found half a leek 1frozen courgette the end of a piece of celeriac 2cloves of garlic half a red chilli threw the lot in my pressure cooker covered with water and a veg stock cube ,cooked for about 10 mins then blitzed and served with a swirl of cream and it was delicious
CAROL
Hope you get your shopping done .... :)

Sounds nice

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kat100 coincidentally I've just popped in the oven an aubergine variation ... fry chopped onion, garlic & a bay leaf with cumin seeds, cinnamon & chilli flakes. Add (lamb or beef) mince and the flesh of an aubergine and chopped courgette, stir a bit, add chopped tomatoes, bit of soy sauce (opt) or cider vinegar, cover & simmer 20 mins. Uncover & reduce to thicken. Fill aubergine shells & bake 30 mins. Top with your choice of cheese & bake a bit more. I'm steaming some broccoli & leek to go with it. The aubergine flesh has disappeared with all that cooking! :(
NB isn't yours a sort of tagine without the fruit? I luuuuurve tagine, fruitless though it has to be.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

@Kat100 coincidentally I've just popped in the oven an aubergine variation ... fry chopped onion, garlic & a bay leaf with cumin seeds, cinnamon & chilli flakes. Add (lamb or beef) mince and the flesh of an aubergine and chopped courgette, stir a bit, add chopped tomatoes, bit of soy sauce (opt) or cider vinegar, cover & simmer 20 mins. Uncover & reduce to thicken. Fill aubergine shells & bake 30 mins. Top with your choice of cheese & bake a bit more. I'm steaming some broccoli & leek to go with it. The aubergine flesh has disappeared with all that cooking! :(
NB isn't yours a sort of tagine without the fruit? I luuuuurve tagine, fruitless though it has to be.
Sort of ...but for me it is a veggie stew ....
I like your ideas ...sounds nice ..I could use quorn mince ....sounds good
Some times I do add more veg ...like courgettes it works well ....
Now I had not thought about the grated cheese ....I will try ...

K

Kat100

Sorry Anna, are you veggie too? Didn't think to ask.
It is fine veggies just adapt :)
Sorry ......can't answer for Anna ...silly me
It was the veggie word that jumped at me ...

Great to share idea recipes

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Serena51

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couldn't shop because we have lost our only set of car keys !!! The garage man came today and he couldn't get in because it is dead locked !!!! another man is coming who can get us a new key but he is having an operation on Monday!!!so he will come Tuesday !!!it will cost £ 190 :bag::arghh:
A friend has lent us a. car for the time being :) We have searched the house and garden over and over again and they are LOST
CAROL

K

Kat100

Couldn't shop because we have lost our only set of car keys !!! The garage man came today and he couldn't get in because it is dead locked !!!! another man is coming who can get us a new key but he is having an operation on Monday!!!so he will come Tuesday !!!it will cost £ 190 :bag::arghh:
A friend has lent us a. car for the time being :) We have searched the house and garden over and over again and they are LOST
CAROL[/
Oooo no that is awful ...they will of course turn up after Tuesday ....
What a kind neighbour ....
Who has taken carols keys ...:eek:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Sorry Anna, are you veggie too? Didn't think to ask.
Only like bit of chicken or bacon lardons in a soup or a stew .
Love veggies and my fruit a lot though .

Small portions best with me and am a newly diagnosed 'coeliac' too .
So am getting to grips with this currently .
Quite a bit/lot to get my head around :confused:

Reactions: 2 people

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make soups and stews in my new Redmond multicooker. It's easy and relatively quick. You just need to put ingredients and in 40 min - 1 hour your meal is ready. It's prefect to make curry as well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ive got pumpkin baking in the oven, then I'm making soup. Maybe a bit of garlic, curry powder, cream.......see what ive got in the cupboard.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................sound very nice :)

We are having a beef stew and dumplings for Sunday lunch, with plenty of garlic added :D

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I ended up with pumpkin and bacon soup with some cream and curry powder. Lovely. The bacon really works well. Got enough to last me 2 weeks.:)

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Sometimes I just raid the fridge and freezer and add chicken stock cubes. But my best soup is very simple.
Just three ingredients I buy a pack of cooking bacon offcuts from ASDA 500g and much cheaper than lardons
Cut your bacon up .Soak a lot of dried Marrowfat peas overnight, rinse well.
Simmer both together with plenty of white pepper.
Hubby has it smooth I love it chunky

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't shop because we have lost our only set of , car keys !!! The garage man came today and he couldn't get in because it is dead locked !!!! another man is coming who can get us a new key but he is having an operation on Monday!!!so he will come Tuesday !!!it will cost £ 190 :bag::arghh:
CAROL
Have you got your car keys sorted out, hopefully for the best.
( brought back a memory, we misplaced out tv control, found it 15 years later when cleaning out the dummy wishing well. the culprit was our little nephew never thought to ask him at the time.)
Can you smell that lovely aroma, My wife is cooking "Porotos Granados" something us posh veggies have this time of the year.
Come to think about it I think it is pumpkin stew.
images