What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I might have to make a special trip tomorrow, there might not be any left on Monday!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 5 phase 1 diabetes miracle eating:

My weight loss has increased. I have now lost 5.5 pounds in 5 weeks. :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:
As prev. mentioned, this is a delightful and unexpected triumph, considering my history of difficulty losing weight.

I'm still going strong, and sticking to the eat-every-5-hours and no-more-than-5g-complex-carbs-per-meal
I am eating more fat than Diane Cress suggests, but that is because I think she is ill informed about fats (thinks low fat is good for heart health), probably because the book was written before low-fat was discredited.

Emotionally I have had a few wobbles. One day I am delighted by the whole experience - normal BG, feeling great, never hungry, deeply satisfied (due to the higher fat), and generally on top of the world.

Then I will have another day (today) where I wonder if my daily dawn phenomenon liver dumps have doomed this from the start. Because if the purpose of 8 weeks ultra low carb (basically Bernstein eating) is intended to rest the pancreas, while my DP is unintentionally giving my pancreas a workout every morning... Then it isn't getting a rest, is it? In which case, what is the point?

No matter how good my BG, I don't think I can maintain this in the long term. I want more. More food variety, more taste sensations - and those will be accompanied by higher carbs. I reckon 40-60g a day is fully sustainable for me. 20g is not.

But at 40-60g a day I get occasional carb cravings, I don't lose weight, and my BG levels are 6-8 mmol/l, not the 5-7mmol/l that 20g carbs gives.

So it all depends on whether phase 1 has rested and 'reset' my pancreas enough to allow me to tolerate more carbs. Just a few more. 40-60g, without the negatives. That's the point of the exercise, but only time will tell... In a few more weeks.

Will just have to wait and see. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think you could do this intermittently so that you'd be getting some weight loss periods that should theoretically be helping with any insulin resistance? So maybe like the 5:2 diet you do so many weeks on and so many off? That way you might see some of the benefits without all the not so great things about the plan? I'm not familiar with it so can't say if that would work but I can fully appreciate that 20g a day isn't sustainable if you want variety in food intake.
Today has not gone to plan. Have spent best part of it searching for some very sentimentally valuable items that Mr E put in a safe place on return from them being valued last December. So safe that he can no longer remember where they are and we are going to have to empty the attic ( which is where I think he muttered he'd put them) to find them. The attic has been a no go area for months as stuff has just been put there out of way while house being renovated so they could be anywhere in there, or in one of the hundreds of boxes that have stuff from sitting room still in them as plasterers started in Feb and still not done. So I am cross, sad( my wedding ring and some rings that previous special people had given me were amongst stuff) and in need of cheering up.
Breakfast bacon, mushrooms, poached egg
lunch ham broth
dinner 97 % cumberland whirl, mushrooms, fried egg and few redskin wedges- I so want some of the Heinz beans Mr E is having but will resist.

Reactions: 4 people

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you make the ham broth. I tried homemade chicken soup and that was a fail just tasted of fat no chicken but it was the left over chicken from the bones and yucky bits we don't eat. While I still have a working right hand

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think you could do this intermittently so that you'd be getting some weight loss periods that should theoretically be helping with any insulin resistance? So maybe like the 5:2 diet you do so many weeks on and so many off? That way you might see some of the benefits without all the not so great things about the plan? I'm not familiar with it so can't say if that would work but I can fully appreciate that 20g a day isn't sustainable if you want variety in food intake.
Today has not gone to plan. Have spent best part of it searching for some very sentimentally valuable items that Mr E put in a safe place on return from them being valued last December. So safe that he can no longer remember where they are and we are going to have to empty the attic ( which is where I think he muttered he'd put them) to find them. The attic has been a no go area for months as stuff has just been put there out of way while house being renovated so they could be anywhere in there, or in one of the hundreds of boxes that have stuff from sitting room still in them as plasterers started in Feb and still not done. So I am cross, sad( my wedding ring and some rings that previous special people had given me were amongst stuff) and in need of cheering up.
Breakfast bacon, mushrooms, poached egg
lunch ham broth
dinner 97 % cumberland whirl, mushrooms, fried egg and few redskin wedges- I so want some of the Heinz beans Mr E is having but will resist.

If it's any consolation Ethyl, I put my jewellery box in a similarly safe place before going away at this time last year. Can I find it? Of course not!

Fortunately, the best and inherited pieces, go to the bank when we're away, and I did find Mum's jewellery box, so it's just my own. It'll turn up at some point, but it is unspeakably annoying!!

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make the ham broth. I tried homemade chicken soup and that was a fail just tasted of fat no chicken but it was the left over chicken from the bones and yucky bits we don't eat. While I still have a working right hand

I just boil a bit of gammon from Aldi or wherever in water for about 1hr- remove it and pop it in oven to finish cooking then add leeks, a parsnip, few carrots, lots of swede and a big cup of red lentils to the stock. Cook till mushy then use hand blender. Makes a lot but is still quite carby. About 25 g a big bowl but it does fil me up and doesn't seem to spike me.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: magic porridge (whole-grain oats soaked in thermos flask of hot water overnight with chia seeds & cinnamon, microwaved in am for 2 mins with chopped unpeeled apple, full-cream yoghurt & nuts).
Shopping plus strenuous walk.
Lunch: scrambled eggs, mushrooms fried in butter, grilled tomatoes & bacon; coffee; carrot cake (as per recipe given on here).
Walk to allotment, work.
Snack: plate of uncooked lemony sorrel (from allotment), feta cheese, warmed cherry tomatoes, mayo; water; coffee.
Tea: roast beef, gravy made with brown rice flour, roast onion , steamed leek, runner beans, cauli, broccoli, courgette, butternut squash; water. Square of 81% chocolate.
Probably coffee decaff & cake during Downton or Homeland :)

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B- Greek yoghurt, berries, linseeds
L- gammon, cauliflower cheese and leeks, runner beans, roast parsnip
Long walk with kids and dog
S- cup of tea with piece of cheese and a few almonds
Frantic chase round the garden catching the bunnies who had tunnelled out of their run whilst we were out!!!
T-one piece of Bergen bread with butter, cheese and ham, one small waitrose lemon curd almondy cake.

Waiting to see how tea impacts with the bread and cake which I haven't had before. Fingers crossed.

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.8 - 9.3 after 2 hours

I know it's less than 2 mmol but I haven't had a 9 since the last time I had a piece of rye bread. Wonder if it was the bread, the cake or the combination of both. I only had one piece of Bergen bread and the cake was tiny.

Feel fed up.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say both, and at 7.8 pre meal you were already running high so the spike isn't too bad in itself. What did you make the cauli cheese at lunch with? And don't forget gravy has carbs if you had any and parsnips are high too.

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh well tomorrow is another day. I'm living and learning.

A month ago on diagnosis my hbca1 was 13.9. I'm trying my best and I'm normally in the 7s now with occasional 6s. Does that seem ok progress?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well tomorrow is another day. I'm living and learning.

A month ago on diagnosis my hbca1 was 13.9. I'm trying my best and I'm normally in the 7s now with occasional 6s. Does that seem ok progress?

That's good progress then.. It's all about trying to get those pre meal readings down so that you aren't automatically going to be over the safe post meal figure ( Nice guidelines say 8.5 at 2hrs for diabetics but most on here will aim for the 7.8 that is quoted for non- diabetics).
Another thing to note is that you had what seemed like a large lunch, then a snack then tea and it may be that you need to spread things out a bit to give your levels chance to come down before the next food assault. I know if I don't eat breakfast till late that I'm too high at lunchtime for my liking even before eating. Just a thought.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 5 phase 1 diabetes miracle eating:

My weight loss has increased. I have now lost 5.5 pounds in 5 weeks. :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:
As prev. mentioned, this is a delightful and unexpected triumph, considering my history of difficulty losing weight.

I'm still going strong, and sticking to the eat-every-5-hours and no-more-than-5g-complex-carbs-per-meal
I am eating more fat than Diane Cress suggests, but that is because I think she is ill informed about fats (thinks low fat is good for heart health), probably because the book was written before low-fat was discredited.

Emotionally I have had a few wobbles. One day I am delighted by the whole experience - normal BG, feeling great, never hungry, deeply satisfied (due to the higher fat), and generally on top of the world.

Then I will have another day (today) where I wonder if my daily dawn phenomenon liver dumps have doomed this from the start. Because if the purpose of 8 weeks ultra low carb (basically Bernstein eating) is intended to rest the pancreas, while my DP is unintentionally giving my pancreas a workout every morning... Then it isn't getting a rest, is it? In which case, what is the point?

No matter how good my BG, I don't think I can maintain this in the long term. I want more. More food variety, more taste sensations - and those will be accompanied by higher carbs. I reckon 40-60g a day is fully sustainable for me. 20g is not.

But at 40-60g a day I get occasional carb cravings, I don't lose weight, and my BG levels are 6-8 mmol/l, not the 5-7mmol/l that 20g carbs gives.

So it all depends on whether phase 1 has rested and 'reset' my pancreas enough to allow me to tolerate more carbs. Just a few more. 40-60g, without the negatives. That's the point of the exercise, but only time will tell... In a few more weeks.

Will just have to wait and see. :nailbiting:

my liver seems to dump all over me these days too. :( i am resigned to not having it both ways and trying to take a long term approach. Am losing weight BUT FBG is closer to 7 even though sugar levels are around 5+ before bed. i have started to test every 2-3 days when i am bothered. will wait for my next A1C in two months to see how this is affecting me.

alliebee

Not your fault sweetie its those bloomin liver dump faries that I recently evicted after fastings in the 10 and 12 area....pesky little blighters :)

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just boil a bit of gammon from Aldi or wherever in water for about 1hr- remove it and pop it in oven to finish cooking then add leeks, a parsnip, few carrots, lots of swede and a big cup of red lentils to the stock. Cook till mushy then use hand blender. Makes a lot but is still quite carby. About 25 g a big bowl but it does fil me up and doesn't seem to spike me.

Ooh that sounds nice, Defo be having a go at that. That could cook in the slow cooker I reckon. Am borrowing my mum's before I buy one.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Breakfast today was bullet coffee and an avocado grilled with cheese and drizzled with lemon oil.
Lunch was leftover stew and jelly, berries and cream to follow
Tea will be veg stir fry with roasted salmon
Bedtime snack haven't decided yet

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
woops, that looks like stew and jelly! Had the jelly for dessert!

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still eating a truck load of carbs to increase my weight.

Breakfast:
Aldi Weetbix's (x4)
Chia Wholegrain brown bread (x2)
A cup of scald

Lunch:
Wholegrain Crispbread with Cheese and herb spread, tuna, oregano and parsley (x2)
Small boiled egg, mashed in a cup with Cheese and herb spread and a sprinkle of oregano and parsley
Chia Wholegrain brown bread (x2)
Small bit of spicy couscous from Aldi's
50g blueberries in a cup with a dollop of natural yoghurt

Dinner:
Gonna have spaghetti bolognese now in a few mins.

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
100 grams of cold roast beef
Two dessertspoons of extra thick double cream .

Just not hungry today .
Stayed of bullet proof coffee after my funny turn on friday.

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not your fault sweetie its those bloomin liver dump faries that I recently evicted after fastings in the 10 and 12 area....pesky little blighters :)

You never know who might be listening. ........

Status
Not open for further replies.