18, Bham

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I literally don't know anyone else with diabetes :( sometimes I just need someone who understands because everyone is clueless x

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well you've come to the right place, welcome to the forum.

Kingo kingsley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing really
Ask any question and you'll get a very good answer back that will help

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yehh I've looked through a few posts and it seems quite useful and interesting

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yehh I've looked through a few posts and it seems quite useful and interesting
Hi, I'm newbie since 9th Sept, most I have learned about my condition has mainly come from here & not the medical services, aswell as research on the net, so here is about the best place to start, so ask & browse & come to your own decision on how you want to go with controlling it.

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh the info on here is probably better because let's be honest we're all experts lol

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you at college/university? You could see about setting up a group there if you are, there are probably others in your area you just haven't met yet.

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I finished college in July and planning to go to uni next year, I needed a break in between the two

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I finished college in July and planning to go to uni next year, I needed a break in between the two
Good plan, you have time to plan, and take a lot of the stress out of moving to the next level of education. Also, it could give you a chance to get a different type of education; learning more about your diabetes :). The reason so many diabetics feel isolated is partly down to a lot of diabetics being unable (or unwilling) to properly talk about their condition. Unfortunately those of us taking control are in the minority. A diabetic with poor control is likely to wave away questions and just say 'I'm fine, I take my medication and I can eat what I want.' Well, most people here can verify it's not nearly that simple. I believe that's a significant factor in why the public are so ill informed, and don't realise how serious diabetes can be. If you can get on top of your diabetes, the chances are you will want to share your success. This will mean those close to you increasing their understanding of what you have achieved, and what you had to do to manage it.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a big problem with my OH, she just can't understand how serious it could be if I fail to control, when she makes things like a casserole I ask her to measure the ingredients she puts in so I can work out the values, or tells me what I can eat. Think the sooner we can get to the nhs group meetings the sooner she may understand. it's hard enough dealing with it without having someone thinking they know it all, but have no idea. so your not alone.

Reactions: 2 people

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yehh I think if the professionals take time to kinda just work with us coz I find they just put us in groups and leave us there, and actually they could be a bit more human, it's not easy living with diabetes

Reactions: 2 people