Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think my nasty 11 this morning was caused by a bowl of chocolate mug cake with cream...am cross with myself. I so fancied a treat. Guess it put my carbs just a bit too high :(

I take my medication 80mg Gliclazcide just B4 breakfast. The first meal after breakfast for me is the best time to have a treat without paying too high a price BG wise. The earlier in the day the better. Possibly might help.......

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another 3.8 for me this morning. That seems to be a newish regular number for me, challenging my 4.1 for the go-to number. Of course, it could be strip variation, yada, yada, blah, blah…….

Thus far today, it’s bright and breezy out there, but we’re shaping up for a bit of a blow, with increasing speeds, and gusts of gale and sever gale force until around 8pm, so at least it should be abating before bed. On that basis, I think I might head off out now, and be back promptly.

Stay safe everyone. I hope Gonzalo has learned some gentler behaviour to show us this side of the pond.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 7.2 after my supper 2 hrs. Then had almond mug cake with a dollop of extra thick cream on..I never tested for that as I've had it before...but I also had a bad night with pain so it could be that

The cream may have kept you high over night. Maybe have this treat with a meal rather than on it's own? Perhaps worth a try.

Reactions: 3 people

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 this morning. A week on Lantus so far, still taking some Gliclazide and still on Bydureon injections but so relieved that I am no longer in the high teens and twenties. I even saw a 4.8 before lunch!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 this morning. A week on Lantus so far, still taking some Gliclazide and still on Bydureon injections but so relieved that I am no longer in the high teens and twenties. I even saw a 4.8 before lunch!!

Well done, Sally. I imagine your stress levels might be easing a bit too.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The cream may have kept you high over night. Maybe have this treat with a meal rather than on it's own? Perhaps worth a try.

But surely cream does not increase your sugars? I mean I think I have read everything Low Carb and Cream unlike milk does not raise your sugars?

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, Sally. I imagine your stress levels might be easing a bit too.

Stress levels are reducing, only problem I have that remains is the issue with my skin, it's like some kind of reaction on my scalp and face, I look awful and it's embarassing in work. Have been given plenty of medicated this and that but nothing is working. I guess its just my body adjusting!

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
8.4before breakfast really pleased since been put on insulin seeing lots of single numbers instead of constant highs.morning to you all.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But surely cream does not increase your sugars? I mean I think I have read everything Low Carb and Cream unlike milk does not raise your sugars?

No, cream won't raise your levels but whatever carbs were in the treat will have, and the cream will have kept that rise lower but more prolonged. If there were carbs in it of course.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi I am newly diagnosed but have not had the full conversation with my doctor yet. My two tests hba1c before any control measures were around 12.00. I have not tested since. Doctor has said they will use diet and exercise for first 3 months before deciding if i need medication. I would say coming off chocolates and fizzy drinks and reducing overall food intake has already increased my energy levels. Only symptoms I am experiencing is fluctuating vision, but Doctor says diabetes is unlikely to be the reason so early Eyes get very dry too after food specially early evening.

Information is so confusing though about low carbs and high carbs. Size of portion is also a struggle, how do you measure a chicken curry in a small bowl for example. I aim to manage it though. I wish I had listened much earlier. I am 40 lb over weight but because at 58 I play 5 a side football with 20 year olds once a week. I though that was enough.

Good luck everyone, I hope you have an easy time managing it. Wish me luck too.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am newly diagnosed but have not had the full conversation with my doctor yet. My two tests hba1c before any control measures were around 12.00. I have not tested since. Doctor has said they will use diet and exercise for first 3 months before deciding if i need medication. I would say coming off chocolates and fizzy drinks and reducing overall food intake has already increased my energy levels. Only symptoms I am experiencing is fluctuating vision, but Doctor says diabetes is unlikely to be the reason so early Eyes get very dry too after food specially early evening.

Information is so confusing though about low carbs and high carbs. Size of portion is also a struggle, how do you measure a chicken curry in a small bowl for example. I aim to manage it though. I wish I had listened much earlier. I am 40 lb over weight but because at 58 I play 5 a side football with 20 year olds once a week. I though that was enough.

Good luck everyone, I hope you have an easy time managing it. Wish me luck too.

Hi and welcome

A lot of people recommend a mobile app called "carbs and cals", which allows you to visually measure serving size and as the name suggests carbs and calories.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413885250.401305.jpg

I do not personally use it but have seen it recommended by others on this forum.

As for your eyesight, it is quite common when reducing glucose levels rapidly for the eyesight to blur temporarily. The lens of the eye contains fluid, in which glucose is dissolved. As the concentration of glucose drops the refractive index of the fluid changes and the eye lens focuses light differently. As your sugar levels stabilize, your brain will compensate for the "new" eye lens characteristics and eye sight should return to normal.

Do you self test your glucose? What are your counts like. If you do not test, you should. Get yourself a monitor and some strips and test before and 2 hours after each meal until you know how your food choices affect you.

All the best.

Pavlos

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @beatdise and welcome!

Pavlos has given you some good advice for a starters. I don't use the Carbs & Cals app. I use the book, obtainable from Amazon. I believe it is better than the app, but each to their own. It was my bible when I started, and I still use it. Good luck.

hanham97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
6.5 fasting
7.2-two hours after breakfast.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi and welcome

A lot of people recommend a mobile app called "carbs and cals", which allows you to visually measure serving size and as the name suggests carbs and calories.

View attachment 7576

I do not personally use it but have seen it recommended by others on this forum.

As for your eyesight, it is quite common when reducing glucose levels rapidly for the eyesight to blur temporarily. The lens of the eye contains fluid, in which glucose is dissolved. As the concentration of glucose drops the refractive index of the fluid changes and the eye lens focuses light differently. As your sugar levels stabilize, your brain will compensate for the "new" eye lens characteristics and eye sight should return to normal.

Do you self test your glucose? What are your counts like. If you do not test, you should. Get yourself a monitor and some strips and test before and 2 hours after each meal until you know how your food choices affect you.

All the best.

Pavlos

Many thanks Pavlos. Wow I wasn't expecting such quick responses. You have already given me a logical answer better than my GP's and explains why my eyes are playing up. I am not testing yet but I do want to and will by the technology I need to know exactly where I am at so that I can manage.

Many thanks again.

Rafiq

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hello @beatdise and welcome!

Pavlos has given you some good advice for a starters. I don't use the Carbs & Cals app. I use the book, obtainable from Amazon. I believe it is better than the app, but each to their own. It was my bible when I started, and I still use it. Good luck.

Many thanks. Bluetit1802

Excuse the pun but I am hungry for knowledge at this moment! Will buy book, will get app. Want to beat this and fast.

Rafiq AKA beatdise

Status
Not open for further replies.