Diabetic dies from untreated hypo?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ambulance-lift-broke-not-moved-hospital.html

I read this and was confused and concerned. Since I was young I was told that when you went hypo the risk of death was from fainting (such as banging your head etc) and that you drift in and out of consciousness whilst hypo. I was not aware hypos could cause heart attack. Is this article correct or do you think there is more to it?

Awful the medics didn't just give her glucose.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ambulance-lift-broke-not-moved-hospital.html

I read this and was confused and concerned. Since I was young I was told that when you went hypo the risk of death was from fainting (such as banging your head etc) and that you drift in and out of consciousness whilst hypo. I was not aware hypos could cause heart attack. Is this article correct or do you think there is more to it?

Awful the medics didn't just give her glucose.
You have to remember that news paper reports do like to make things sound as bad as possible (this sells more papers) The way I read it was that they had and were treating her for low blood sugar, and she had a heart attack. Anyone can have a heart attack and at any age not just someone with diabetes and having a bad hypo. Very sad for all concerned :(

Reactions: 7 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypos do cause a heart problems, because of the adrenaline response your blood pressure goes up. So if she had some kind of predisposition for heart problems already, it probably didn't help :(

G

graj0

Very sad, but we don't know all the facts. I've only been rushed to hospital in an ambulance once and felt worse when I got to A&E than when I left the house. Combination of anxiety, not seeing where I was going, diesel fumes and having lost a lot of blood (my main problem).

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused why they were unable to move her out of the back of the ambulance - surely that wouldn't be much harder than, say, getting a patient out of an upper floor of a house, which I really hope they are trained to do...

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I'm confused why they were unable to move her out of the back of the ambulance - surely that wouldn't be much harder than, say, getting a patient out of an upper floor of a house, which I really hope they are trained to do...
Probably,'elf n safety interpretation - seems to cause so much confusion with some tragic consequences.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once had a doctor tell me that once you've passed out from a hypo it takes three minutes for you to die unless someone tries to treat it.
He also said that having regular hypos can cause heart disease.
On top of this he said a lot of other things that I didn't agree with.
I asked a different doctor whether the first one was right and he said that he wasn't and was just over exaggerating! I do think that there would have been a tiny little bit of truth in it though, there had to have been some truth for him to exaggerate on.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
From reading the article I would guess that she had a heart attack in the back of the ambulance and they were treating her there before any attempt to move her was made. Obviously she didn't respond to treatment. thus she died in the back of the ambulance and the papers are having a field day whilst distressing her family no end :(

D

Deleted member 83869

Exactly my thoughts, surely they could of just lifted her out if it was that much of an emergency....nhs for you...but hey can't complain about the nhs I guess