Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been testing less and less recently. For two reasons:

Firstly, my results have been so utterly predictable that it has felt like wasting strips (6.4 ish DP, 5.3-5.6 pre-prandial, 6.1-6.7 post prandial)

Secondly, because my test results has been frankly, silly. First test far too high. Second test more likely. Third test sameish as second. Ridiculous. And costing me 3 strips to get exactly what I knew it was before the test. Humph!

So imagine my surprise this morning when I get 3x 7.6 in a row!
Double humph!!!

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 grrr - when's the weekend

In the words of Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey (and you have to speak it in your head in her dowager's voice),

"What is "the weekend"?"

I only watched Series 1, but that was a classic line.

Don't worry Sanguin, it's the day after, the day after tomorrow.

Put another way, it's only 3 sleeps.

OK. I'll stop now.

Reactions: 3 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
6.2 am surprised as was eating diabetic chocolates last eve bought for me for my birthday and wow they made my tummy felly yacky as do not usually eat :(

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was 2.9 (retested 2.9, 2.7, 2.8 – Hmmmm), so somewhat lower than my personal range and an eyebrow raising moment. :mad:

Yesterday afternoon I had one of those incredibly hungry periods, about an hour before I was due to eat. I just knew a cup of tea wasn’t going to cut it. Tested – 4.6. Now, that’s above my usual preprandial range, so I can only assume my liver was having a “one in, all in” liver dump. Based on how I felt, I had a cup of tea, a babybel and got cooking. I was 4.7 postprandially, so happy enough with that.

The low this morning hasn’t spooked me. It’s more an irritation. I’ll keep a close eye on things and see where I go from here. I’m due an HbA1c (and confounded lipids) early November. I have the papers since my last, so in theory I could go any time. Current plans are either the end of next week, or the beginning of the following.

Deep joy.

Play nicely boys and girls. We’ll never be younger than we are today. :playful::playful::playful::playful:

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
6.5 grrr - when's the weekend

And then 90 minutes later, still before showering and breakfast, just two cups of tea, it's 5.7. Another day in the weird world we inhabit. Probably due to calming down a bit after my mind churning in bed before getting up and settling down to the slightly more positive reality. (That's enough crackpot psychology now, Ed.).

Reactions: 9 people

alliebee

Thankyou yes it all seems to be falling into place nicely. Know what I can and can't eat on a variety of foods. I'll bet there are many surprises to come yet

Reactions: 8 people

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
8.5 coming down i feel

Reactions: 8 people

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am newly diagnosed but have not had the full conversation with my doctor yet. My two tests hba1c before any control measures were around 12.00. I have not tested since. Doctor has said they will use diet and exercise for first 3 months before deciding if i need medication. I would say coming off chocolates and fizzy drinks and reducing overall food intake has already increased my energy levels. Only symptoms I am experiencing is fluctuating vision, but Doctor says diabetes is unlikely to be the reason so early Eyes get very dry too after food specially early evening.

Information is so confusing though about low carbs and high carbs. Size of portion is also a struggle, how do you measure a chicken curry in a small bowl for example. I aim to manage it though. I wish I had listened much earlier. I am 40 lb over weight but because at 58 I play 5 a side football with 20 year olds once a week. I though that was enough.

Good luck everyone, I hope you have an easy time managing it. Wish me luck too.
Welcome to the forum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a big spike at 1 hour after tea last night, 8.6, down to 7.6 at 2 hours, 5.7 at 3 hours, but it was hubby's delicious meat and potato pie.
5.5 at bedtime
5.2 this morning

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fancy the recipe for Mr.Bluetit's meat and tattie pie...( please). It sounds so nice...

It was my grandma's recipe originally!
Just normal really. Best stewing steak, ox kidney, Bisto, diced potatoes added part way through, cooked slowly in oven in deep casserole dish, topped with thin shortcrust pastry. Grandma used to add an onion but hubby doesn't like them. I can't tell you how delicious it is.

I've just looked back to the first time I had this after getting my meter. It was back in April. My 2 hour rise was a massive 6mmol/l higher than my start level, so it's good to see my pancreas is working much better now.

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Thankyou. It will be nice to have to look forward to once mine stay down...will soon have to learn to maintain weight whilst keeping my bgs down

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was my grandma's recipe originally!
Just normal really. Best stewing steak, ox kidney, Bisto, diced potatoes added part way through, cooked slowly in oven in deep casserole dish, topped with thin shortcrust pastry. Grandma used to add an onion but hubby doesn't like them. I can't tell you how delicious it is.

I've just looked back to the first time I had this after getting my meter. It was back in April. My 2 hour rise was a massive 6mmol/l higher than my start level, so it's good to see my pancreas is working much better now.

Blue - That's an impressive improvement. A spike of +6 would have had me (mentally) on the ceiling!

In terms of my own improvements, I don't focus on improved pancreatic function, I concentrate on decreases insulin resistance due to trimming up. That's my motivation not to regain weight. I could be very wrong/deluded/bonkers***, but that's where I've persuaded my head to be.

I haven't actually had any pastry whatsoever since diagnosis. I haven't felt bothered by that, except when in the French territories, and lusting after pain au chocolat, straight from the oven, with a coffee, outside on the bay front. That's as much about happy memories of special times than the food though.

*** - delete as appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.