FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine's tracking between 1.2 and 1.7 out in comparison to the Mobile. That said, it could be the Mobile that's out - I've always had a few suspicions about it's accuracy compared with my older Mobile.

Abbotts would have helped themselves (and us) a lot by including some test strips with the starter pack so that we could calibrate against their meter. I don't want to change my prescription because at the times I don't use the Libre (e.g. for months I can't afford it, or if I conclude it's not accurate enough) I want to stick with my Mobile as it's an all in one that is more convenient when i'm in meetings or out and about etc. If I get my GP to change my prescription I might never get it put back again as they'll try to foist the cheapo meters and strips on me - and I'm not about to risk that until I am sure of the accuracy of the Libre.

Smidge

.... if it's any help, I cross checked my Accucheck-mobile with my Freestyle Optimum Neo all day yesterday and today as I suspected the mobile was out as I keep feeling REALLY low at anything in the 4's.... the Accucheck was at least a 1.3 higher consistently - often 2 points higher, and a couple of times almost 3 points higher...! It only read the same as the Freestyle once.... so although I LOVE the accucheck-mobile, I'm starting to think it does read high - sometimes very much so.... :-/

Reactions: 2 people

ChrisWoodward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.... if it's any help, I cross checked my Accucheck-mobile with my Freestyle Optimum Neo all day yesterday and today as I suspected the mobile was out as I keep feeling REALLY low at anything in the 4's.... the Accucheck was at least a 1.3 higher consistently - often 2 points higher, and a couple of times almost 3 points higher...! It only read the same as the Freestyle once.... so although I LOVE the accucheck-mobile, I'm starting to think it does read high - sometimes very much so.... :-/

My mobile used to read 2 points higher than my Freestyle Insulinx and my Contour USB so I stopped using it, very convenient but not accurate.

Reactions: 5 people

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
And the next battle begins Dr's receptionist has just advised they are moving everyone onto glucomen meters and that is the only strips they are allowed to change to really really annoyed !!!!

ChrisWoodward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asked my consultant about it last week-he said it was up to me but he wouldn't recommend it at the current time-saying it judged the glucose in the skin rather than the blood you would get from finger prick and says the trials they have done are not large enough or approved as of yet. He said it would be advisable to wait

Saying that its not approved is completely wrong, a BG reader has to achieve within 10% accuracy to be allowed on the open market, a conventional BG monitor normally achieves something between 7-9% the Libre achieved 9.4%.

It wouldn't be on general sale if not approved for use. My concern is they are letting people run riot with a totally new concept to most, my CGM was unreliable if the placement of my sensor was off or even if I covered it with a duvet. These are things most don't know and may cause themselves issue.

I also believe that people are expecting too much of this system and that is mostly Freestyles fault, they should not have been able to market this as a replacement for you blood tester as it is not, in the same way that Dexcom cannot market their CGM as a replacement. It should have been marketed as a supplement to your normal treatment and I would not suggest basing insulin dosage off of what the Libre says.

Having said that I have still bought a Libre to use alongside my pump (Accu Chek Insight) to replace my dexcom as the sensors are cheaper and smaller but it will not replace my blood tester.

Remember the only difference between this technology and a CGM is that the delay is cut to 5 minutes using an algorithm.

Last edited by a moderator:

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello - just received my Freestyle Libre today and taken my first reading. My Element meter reads 8.5 against 7.6 on the Libre. Suppose it's not too far out for a first reading...however it shows that my BG is going down so maybe further out than it shows! Keeping my fingers crossed that it settles down for us all.

As I'm newly diagnosed, if this works will be a godsend especially whilst work with DSN to try and get my doses right. As I'm sure it will be for everyone else too.. :)

Reactions: 4 people

beanbear

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Pump
I got this yesterday for my T1 little boy - yes I know it's only licensed for 18+ but so is insulin. So far it has exceeded my already high expectations. It has been within 0.5 on every reading I''ve cross checked it on and has reduced fingerpricks by around 2/3rds I reckon. He's 5 and has been doing his own tests all day at school. He is also on the accu-check pump so is obviously still having finger pricks at key times, before boluses and before treatment is given -although last night during a multiwave he tested himself in the car just for the sake of it whilst I was driving, he was 3.3 but without symptoms, he was able to treat and keep an eye on the hypo while I was stuck in awful traffic and unable to help him. I was a bit sceptical as to whether it was false readings but erred on the side of caution and told him to keep treating it. As soon as I could I pulled over, tested him and yup, he was hypo. The libre was within 0.1 of the pump handset. I love this bit of kit and hope that faulty sensors are few and far between. There's bound to be issues with any new product on the market. For anyone having a bad experience currently I would say stick with it because when it's working well its fanbloodytastic! I love it, my boy loves it and his teachers love it. It's a bit of a game changer in my opinion!

Reactions: 15 people

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been emailed to say that mine has been dispatched and tracking says it is in transit. Hopefully I'll get it for the weekend.

I shall swap straight to finger pricking with it as it uses the same strips as the Neo. Will be interesting to see whether scanning / pricking gives he same result and whether the scanner uses the finger tests to adjust.

Reactions: 5 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been pretty much 24 hours. I am not happy. 6.4 vs 4.2.
How's everyone else's?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 370

ChrisWoodward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How's everyone else's?

Which meter are you testing that against? I have found most Roche (Accu-Chek) or Contour meters come up higher than a freestyle one so may be worth a thought.

In all honesty how do you know any of them are correct? You just trust one of them more.

My Freestyle Insulinx is almost exact with the Libre as is the Libre itself using strips..

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I trust contour because according to libre I have been in 2.8s most of today and I have not had one hypo symptom. The libre itself says 5.8 on blood now and 4.3 on on scan. still 1.5 out on same machine!

beanbear

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Pump
We've often tested the same drop of blood with the accu-chek combo handset before now and have had 3 very different readings 25, 17 and 23 was the worst I remember. The accuchek seems less accurate with the higher numbers especially. I queried this with our DSN and she said none are 100% accurate.

Might be worth sticking the other sensor on the other arm and seeing if you get any joy with that?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I phoned them and they said phone back tomorrow. But it's getting less accurate not more. If no one else had said the same thing I would believe it's a faulty sensor but seems to be a common theme. Just wondered if anyone has seen accuracy improve?

beanbear

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Pump
ours was accurate from the first test. I don't think there is going to be just a few faulty sensors, sounds like a whole batch or several batches.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeh but constantly saying u r in 2s when u r nowhere near a hypo is not good!
agreed, and I would swap the sensor Sat morning and get then to send a replacement...one benefit is that it showed you may not have bolus'ed enough for lunch. and you will get an easy basal check to night to see if there are any highs or lows

Reactions: 3 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I got this yesterday for my T1 little boy - yes I know it's only licensed for 18+ but so is insulin. So far it has exceeded my already high expectations. It has been within 0.5 on every reading I''ve cross checked it on and has reduced fingerpricks by around 2/3rds I reckon. He's 5 and has been doing his own tests all day at school. He is also on the accu-check pump so is obviously still having finger pricks at key times, before boluses and before treatment is given -although last night during a multiwave he tested himself in the car just for the sake of it whilst I was driving, he was 3.3 but without symptoms, he was able to treat and keep an eye on the hypo while I was stuck in awful traffic and unable to help him. I was a bit sceptical as to whether it was false readings but erred on the side of caution and told him to keep treating it. As soon as I could I pulled over, tested him and yup, he was hypo. The libre was within 0.1 of the pump handset. I love this bit of kit and hope that faulty sensors are few and far between. There's bound to be issues with any new product on the market. For anyone having a bad experience currently I would say stick with it because when it's working well its fanbloodytastic! I love it, my boy loves it and his teachers love it. It's a bit of a game changer in my opinion!
This is a fantastic - your little boy must be chuffed that he can check his sugars himself without mummy fussing over him - he's a big boy now ;)

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How's everyone else's?
Mine seems to have settled a tiny bit, but still not trustworthy. It's actually reading 1mmol higher at the moment. This is a bit like towing a caravan, the car is stable but the caravan fish tails all over the place but generally in the same direction.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My contour now says 6.8 and libre 3.3. I knew it wouldn't be accurate but this is silly

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my readings are 1mmol different to my omnipod reading. Its the same as if you use different fingers with your old meter. there will always be a variation

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my readings are 1mmol different to my omnipod reading. Its the same as if you use different fingers with your old meter. there will always be a variation
Not by 3.5 mol though. It says I'm in a hypo (3.3) when I'm 6.8. That's pretty far out.