Red wine before food - experiment

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy a glass of red wine, and I do tend to have a few sips before I eat whilst tea is cooking. I have always tested my pre-tea levels before I start on the wine, but today and yesterday I decided to test before my first sip and then again before my first bite. The results for both days are, quite coincidentally, identical.

Both days. Tested each test twice to confirm. 75ml of wine is not a lot ;)

Before wine 5.2
Before tea (15 minutes later after about 75ml wine) 4.7

So it looks like my 75ml wine on an empty tummy dropped my levels by half a mmol/l.

Interesting!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
More intensive tests required I feel ... ;)

Reactions: 11 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I enjoy a glass of red wine, and I do tend to have a few sips before I eat whilst tea is cooking. I have always tested my pre-tea levels before I start on the wine, but today and yesterday I decided to test before my first sip and then again before my first bite. The results for both days are, quite coincidentally, identical.

Before wine 5.2

So it looks like my 75ml wine on an empty tummy dropped my levels by half a mmol/l.

Interesting!

Hey BT

Works the same for me :) You're right ... it is interesting

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Before wine 5.2

Interesting!

thanks for this I will have to try it.
I understand red wine is certainly better than beer for the T2

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
Beer = liquid bread unfortunately :-/
Beer lager wine and spirits all make my bg go lower, and never seem to go high the next day, although neither does alot of food, kentucky fried chicken and fries, on the very rare occaision i eat it will not send me above 7 after 1 hour and below 6 at 2 hours

Mark

Reactions: Prem51

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not tried beer since I was diagnosed but wine and spirits seem to lower my bg slightly. No problems kfc. If you look on the kfc website, the carbs are surprisingly low but you do have to pick carefully.

Reactions: 2 people