NHS prescription charges penalty notice

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Imagine my shock as I found a letter stating I had claimed free prescriptions but was not entitled to them. A phone call later I found my medical exemption certificate had expired (please check them guys) and they didn't care I owed them £133.20 well I thought I am on low earnings with child tax working tax and a disability element my earnings are less than 15k per annum now I'm getting tired and cranky with being fobbed off and thinking stuff u lot you want your money take me to court

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
oh dear, i did think that you would have received a letter to say to renew it

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's easy to overlook letters and such and I'm sure yours was a genuine mistake. I wonder if the Citizens Advice might be able to help you here, they'll be use to dealing with such matters or they will point you in the right direction for help.

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's easy to overlook letters and such and I'm sure yours was a genuine mistake. I wonder if the Citizens Advice might be able to help you here, they'll be use to dealing with such matters or they will point you in the right direction for help.
Contacted tax credits and they say I am entitled to free prescriptions through them anyway so sorting out now I feel more irritated that nhs prescriptions basically had the opinions n of tough luck pay it or else. Due to a tax credits error they didn't send me my card out and didn't tell the nhs guys so looks like I'm a victim of admin error.

Reactions: 10 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
good to hear its all sorted

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Relief! B***ers!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Contacted tax credits and they say I am entitled to free prescriptions through them anyway so sorting out now I feel more irritated that nhs prescriptions basically had the opinions n of tough luck pay it or else. Due to a tax credits error they didn't send me my card out and didn't tell the nhs guys so looks like I'm a victim of admin error.

At least you got a result in the end :)

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am is Scotland I am so grateful we get free prescriptions or I would be bankrupt!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
All GP's in England have been sent leaflets ref "fines" so it looks like we all should be checking the dates on our exemption cards!!

An attack from the govt on persons with long term critical illnesses...

Reactions: 4 people

peacockblue43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checked my exemption card and it runs out in Feb next year, who do we contact to get it renewed???

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you may have to get the renewal from your Doctor. I've just had a look at the letter accompanying my certificate and it does not state how to renew - only that if you do not, you may be liable to a penalty charge. They have given a number (0300 330 1341) and email address [email protected]. They also have a website www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/healthcosts for you to visit.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...I was right. Just been to the website and taken a look at their FAQ.

Quoted......

Q. My current Medical Exemption Certificate is due to expire soon. How do I renew it?
A. You will need to ask your doctor to complete and submit a new FP92A application form. We will send you a reminder letter approximately one month before your certificate is due to expire.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If yours has expired.. According to above post you should have had a reminder one month before??!!!

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will have moved house since I got my last one so they might not have the right address. I wouldnt like to assume they check the address that your dr/hospital has!!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will have moved house since I got my last one so they might not have the right address. I wouldnt like to assume they check the address that your dr/hospital has!!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app

I think not. My letter received with my certificate states.....

If your details change

If you change address please phone 0300 330 1341. Alternatively, you can email us at [email protected] including the reference number from the front of this letter, your full name, your date of birth and your old and new addresses. There is no need to return your certificate to us when you change address.​

The reference number at the front of the letter is your medical certificate number. If you do not know this number you will have to explain this to them in your email/phone call.

The company that run the medical certificates is called NHS Business Services Authority. I do not think they have access to your medical records and will not know if you let the hospital/ doctor know of your change in residence.

Sorry.

andybates

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just received a penalty notice today for 96.50 covering the charge for two items and penalty of 5 times the two items cost. So being fined based on the amount of medication I need. My certificate apparently expired in August, and I have changed address. So I'm expected to remember five years on some conditions from then. And I notify the NHS of my new address. So no reminder.

Had two conversations with the 'Business Services Authority'. Currently challenging them on a right to appeal this, they say I don't have a right of appeal. Yet the NHS Act 2006 states (sect 193, subsection 8) (8)But a person is not liable by virtue of a penalty notice— (b)to a penalty charge, or a further sum by way of penalty, if he shows that he did not act wrongfully, or with any lack of care, in respect of the charge or payment in question

So the act in effect states that I can show that I did not act wrongfully or with any lack of care, yet they deny I have a right to appeal.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They'll have you on both those counts. In their eyes you acted wrongfully by signing that you had a certificate when it was expired and that you didn't show due care by not contacting them when the five years was up as it's your responsibility ultimately. That may not be true to you, but that's what they'll argue. Sorry about being devil's advocate.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My new one always gets sent a few weeks before old one expires, I hope it still carries on like this. As a member said, type 1 isn't going to be cured, unless.................................. it's on every TV channel, the radio, Internet, Diabetes sites, and of course, not forgetting our highly invaluble tabloid press...............,;)

RRB

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just looked at mine and I'm sure the last time I just got sent a new card but it was 5 years ago so maybe not. But having now sorted it out, I had to go and get a 'controlled form' from my doctor, I had to sign it and he has to sign and stamp it to say I still have the same incurable condition as I did before. Brilliant use of everybody's time.
Sorry, rant over. :D

Reactions: Pammy_50