Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given 50 strips a month until I have it controlled but was told NOT to overuse them as testing once or twice a day was adequate .When I questioned my GP on this he pointed out that every time we use a lancet we risk infection just the same as an injection and whilst clearly the danger to Type 1's outweigh the risk .this is not the case for type 2's .He mentioned some people who were testing 10 times a day ! If you have your numbers controlled then surely testing at most once a day is adequate.Even non diabetics throw up one off high numbers .Isn't this why they require a whole picture before diagnosis?

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
First time ever, was in the endro's office today and had a girl who is leaning her trade (she's studying to become a endro - she's doing her pratical atm so is already a full doctor just not in endrocronololgy) at any rate she actually asked me why I tested so much, I was floored in all my years as a T1 i've never had my endro ask that (granted she's still learning - but still) I was like because I'm a t1 on inulin thus it means I need to make sure my numbers are within range before and after meals and at any other time during the day that I feel funny or before I drive. She was like "surly you don't have to test each and every time before you drive?" and i'm like of course I do getting behind the wheel at 4 and needing to drive for an hours would be a really BAD idea and she was like "why would you be at 4 and needing to drive for an hour?" ::face paws:: i was like because my job is very active and its not uncommon that i'll be under 5 by the end of the day and i still need to drive to the office from the job location which means a min of an hour to the office and almost two hours to drive back home so it would be a really bad idea to be low triving in traffic to n from the office. oi oi oi ... heard her and my endro talking about my testing habits and he was telling her that because of my testing habits my numbers where in range and that my mom was the same for years - to him I don't test to much maybe a bit to much on occasion but 200 strips a month isn't to many in his opinion for an insulin dependant diabetic.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given 50 strips a month until I have it controlled but was told NOT to overuse them as testing once or twice a day was adequate .When I questioned my GP on this he pointed out that every time we use a lancet we risk infection just the same as an injection and whilst clearly the danger to Type 1's outweigh the risk .this is not the case for type 2's .He mentioned some people who were testing 10 times a day ! If you have your numbers controlled then surely testing at most once a day is adequate.Even non diabetics throw up one off high numbers .Isn't this why they require a whole picture before diagnosis?
Firstly,how on earth does a type 2 know if their blood glucose is controlled, if they dont test regularly?

Secondly, anyone who has actually tested on waking, before food, then 2 hours after, for just a few days will know how wildly the blood glucose fluctuates - even in someone who the NHS considers to be well controlled.

Try it and see.

But then, you probably don't have enough strips to do that...

and what makes you think they get the whole picture, before diagnosis? I am a type 2 diabetic. The last time I ate a sandwich and a scone, my numbers went up to 14.7 - clearly diabetic!
but im still not diagnosed, because my HbA1c is borderline.
But all that means is that I was going HIGH and LOW, and my average was borderline.

My medical notes are definitely NOT the whole picture!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

desidiabulum

Using lancets risks infection -- that's a new one. I shall add it to the list -- thank you!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly,how on earth does a type 2 know if their blood glucose is controlled, if they dont test regularly?

Secondly, anyone who has actually tested on waking, before food, then 2 hours after, for just a few days will know how wildly the blood glucose fluctuates - even in someone who the NHS considers to be well controlled.

Try it and see.

and what makes you think they get the whole picture, before diagnosis? I am a type 2 diabetic. The last time I ate a sandwich and a scone, my numbers went up to 14.7 - clearly diabetic!
But all that means is that I was going HIGH and LOW, and my average was borderline.

It is as I said earlier somewhere, doctors have not yet got the idea about testing foods (as opposed to random testing) to eliminate any personal red light foods and to learn portion control on the carbs they desperately want us to eat. They seem to think we only need to test occasionally to check our base levels are doing OK. If only they could see how important food testing is, they might change their minds.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Susiespearish
Speaking personally, my digits are cleaned BEFORE the pricker assaults them and hence the risk is fairly low. Once the initial BG patten is found i only test for new foods or unknown situations as well as for driving!

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Try it and see.

Brunneria I think you misunderstand me about the whole picture .What I'm saying is that they require quite a few "high" tests before they will diagnose someone as diabetic .Obviously they then go on to test glucose tolerance ect .They don't diagnose on the basis of one high test was all I meant .When I first got my machine i tested my husband as well.He threw up 13.5 and lots of above six numbers so he went to the GP but his HbA1c was 5.6 .The GP explained that lots of non diabetics throw up high numbers occasionally .Most of the time his BG's were normal.

I demanded a machine and strips when I was first diagnosed for the very same reason you stated .how can I control what i can't see!! I think all diabetics should be given strips and machines but I can see his point for not needing to test endlessly once your levels seem consistent and you know what food spikes you .Worrying about spikes doesn't help if your BG is around or under 6 most of the times I don't think but each to his own .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria I think you misunderstand me about the whole picture .What I'm saying is that they require quite a few "high" tests before they will diagnose someone as diabetic .Obviously they then go on to test glucose tolerance ect .They don't diagnose on the basis of one high test was all I meant .When I first got my machine i tested my husband as well.He threw up 13.5 and lots of above six numbers so he went to the GP but his HbA1c was 5.6 .The GP explained that lots of non diabetics throw up high numbers occasionally .Most of the time his BG's were normal.

I demanded a machine and strips when I was first diagnosed for the very same reason you stated .how can I control what i can't see!! I think all diabetics should be given strips and machines but I can see his point for not needing to test endlessly once your levels seem consistent and you know what food spikes you .Worrying about spikes doesn't help if your BG is around or under 6 most of the times I don't think but each to his own .

I was diagnosed on one fasting test; albeit followed up by an HbA1c that came in at diabetic levels. Since then I have not had any other tests within diabetic or pre-diabetic levels, they have all been non-diabetic ranges.

There are certain thresholds, above which diagnosis is allegedly "allowed" on one reading. I don't have that data to hand though.

Nice to see you posting Susie. I was only wondering this morning how you're getting along. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed on one fasting test; albeit followed up by an HbA1c that came in at diabetic levels. Since then I have not had any other tests within diabetic or pre-diabetic levels, they have all been non-diabetic ranges.

There are certain thresholds, above which diagnosis is allegedly "allowed" on one reading. I don't have that data to hand though.

Nice to see you posting Susie. I was only wondering this morning how you're getting along. :)

I think the guidelines says if a person presents with diabetic symptoms, one test is enough. Those with no symptoms usually have more.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the guidelines says if a person presents with diabetic symptoms, one test is enough. Those with no symptoms usually have more.

I had no symptoms whatsoever.

I was tested as I had exhibited a high blood pressure reading, when it was taken after a particularly painful procedure.

Obviously it all made sense.................

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Badly I'm afraid AndBreathe but on the plus side .I'm slimmer :D That's the normal course isn't it ...they do the HbA1c as the next step :)
I also had a glucose test but nothing since then other than those every three months .

Your clearly well controlled AndBreathe ,do you mind me asking how often you test ?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Badly I'm afraid AndBreathe but on the plus side .I'm slimmer :D That's the normal course isn't it ...they do the HbA1c as the next step :)
I also had a glucose test but nothing since then other than those every three months .

Well done on being slimmer though. It all helps. I'm positive that made a real difference to my readings. What are you struggling with most?

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on being slimmer though. It all helps. I'm positive that made a real difference to my readings. What are you struggling with most?

My levels just will not come down .Nothing seems to touch them and they are ridiculously high.most days between 17.5 and up to 27 .I'm taking all the meds supplied and we keep changing them but my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist who feels my pancreas has given up and wants me on insulin .As a last ditch attempt he's put me on the new Xelevia and yesterday my morning reading was 7.5 .I was dancing !! but later that day and I had literally had a prawn sandwich using Livlife low carb bread and it was 27 by 6.00pm :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My levels just will not come down .Nothing seems to touch them and they are ridiculously high.most days between 17.5 and up to 27 .I'm taking all the meds supplied and we keep changing them but my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist who feels my pancreas has given up and wants me on insulin .As a last ditch attempt he's put me on the new Xelevia and yesterday my morning reading was 7.5 .I was dancing !! but later that day and I had literally had a prawn sandwich using Livlife low carb bread and it was 27 by 6.00pm :(

Oh dear. That doesn't seem too great. Have you tried today, not having the bread? Many T1s on here still go Low Carb to keep their insulin use down to a minimum. Perhaps ditching the bread might allow you to keep the insulin away for a bit longer?

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear. That doesn't seem too great. Have you tried today, not having the bread? Many T1s on here still go Low Carb to keep their insulin use down to a minimum. Perhaps ditching the bread might allow you to keep the insulin away for a bit longer?

I am low carbing Andbreathe :)Have been for months .I have 30grm of carbs a day the bread is only 6.5 carbs a slice .It's been great for weight loss but not so much for my numbers .Having said that the endocrinologist suspects I have an adrenal tumour as my tests for that came back abnormal so it could be other things affecting it . I est in a morning and sometimes two hours after my evening meal but it's pretty consistant.
High ....but consistant. It lowered at first on Metformin but now it doesn't seem to do a thing other than keep me fit running to the loo !

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am low carbing Andbreathe :)Have been for months .I have 30grm of carbs a day the bread is only 6.5 carbs a slice .It's been great for weight loss but not so much for my numbers .Having said that the endocrinologist suspects I have an adrenal tumour as my tests for that came back abnormal so it could be other things affecting it .

Sounds like you have a lot going on there. My only comment would be that not all carbs are equal, and many people find they can eat x, but not y, whereas someone else will be able to eat y, but not x. If it all shot up after your bread, I'd try kicking that into touch, before I embraced insulin.

Of course, insulin may be inevitable, but, personally, I'd be trying everything to avoid it for as long as possible.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
First time ever, was in the endro's office today and had a girl who is leaning her trade (she's studying to become a endro - she's doing her pratical atm so is already a full doctor just not in endrocronololgy) at any rate she actually asked me why I tested so much, I was floored in all my years as a T1 i've never had my endro ask that (granted she's still learning - but still) I was like because I'm a t1 on inulin thus it means I need to make sure my numbers are within range before and after meals and at any other time during the day that I feel funny or before I drive. She was like "surly you don't have to test each and every time before you drive?" and i'm like of course I do getting behind the wheel at 4 and needing to drive for an hours would be a really BAD idea and she was like "why would you be at 4 and needing to drive for an hour?" ::face paws:: i was like because my job is very active and its not uncommon that i'll be under 5 by the end of the day and i still need to drive to the office from the job location which means a min of an hour to the office and almost two hours to drive back home so it would be a really bad idea to be low triving in traffic to n from the office. oi oi oi ... heard her and my endro talking about my testing habits and he was telling her that because of my testing habits my numbers where in range and that my mom was the same for years - to him I don't test to much maybe a bit to much on occasion but 200 strips a month isn't to many in his opinion for an insulin dependant diabetic.

Good grief :arghh: :banghead: now that's something that will stay with you forever, no doubt :rolleyes:

RRB