How much did your car insurance increase by?

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls, armchair experts and bullies
When you informed them you were diabetic?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing. I told them I was type 2 and they only wanted to know if I was on insulin or not. I informed them the first time when I was diet controlled and then again when I was put on metformin.

Reactions: 2 people

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Same here. I am running two cars and none of the insurances increased:)

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never had any premium added and I'm type 1, they just add it to your notes that you are diabetic. Prices definitely shouldn't increase.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With car insurance there should be no increase due to diabetes alone, but you may find with other insurances (like life insurance for example) there will be if you've not taken one out before your diagnosis.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I informed my car insurance that I was type 1 and using insulin they told me that it is illegal for them to discriminate and raise the premiums.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
When I informed my car insurance that I was type 1 and using insulin they told me that it is illegal for them to discriminate and raise the premiums.
The above is quite correct :)

cyclonic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls, armchair experts and bullies
Thanks very much everyone, I've been putting off my IGT test as I thought my insurance would rocket and the DVLA would revoke my licence, but 6.2 isn't quite diabetes is it?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Can you suggest a good car insurance firm for a diabetic please?

yes mine is up on the 30th of the month and cant get a premium less than £381, 22 no claims or convictions or even a point my boss pays £240 for his car which is worth £10,000 and my mini cooper is worth £1500

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I previously had a 2004 vauxhall corsa and my insurance was just under £400 I was spending too much money on it so decided to treat myself to a brand new 15 plate corsa and my insurance has come down by £100.00 I questioned this as thought by having a new car it would increase as it is worth more money! I was told it was correct and they work the premiums out on the percentage of claims they have had for that model. the other point is the lower value your car is the more chance that if you had an accident it would be a write off as if the cost of repairs are 65% or more of the value they won't repair it so it would be more costly for the insurance company. My insurance are aware I am type 2 on medication but this has no impact on my premium