What are your hypo symptoms? & how low do you get before you see them?.

Malcolm.Smith

Just saw on facebook the poor we fella posing for a photo with a bottle of lucazade and his blood meter readin 1.5 !. He looks ok in the photo to me and it made me think, " if I was 1.5 I would be blabbering a lot of nonsanse and my legs would stop working!".

Now the leg thing is weird. I feel ok in myself but my legs seem to take on a mind of their own and go off in directions i don't want them to. I end up walking about the street like John Clease in the ministry of silly walks scetch!. I once did the splits in Trafalgar square and split my jeans in half!.

Now is this just me or does this happen to anyone else?. True it only happens if it drops below 1.5 or 6 but I was wondering if anyone had any strange symptoms from hypos they might want to share?.

All the best,

M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly don't know how the little boy looked so well at 1.5! I would too be a sweaty shaky mess.

My legs just go like jelly and I can't stand. My weirdest symptom is having no concentration, I feel spaced out and forget what's happening in the room. My daughter was in her high chair when I was having a hypo and when I came back round I didn't know how shed got there and what she was doing the whole time I wasn't right! Pretty scary really! She was strapped in safely though and I had put her there beforehand but I must have been going off whilst doing it.

I didn't feel this particular one coming either. So frightened something like this might happen in public.

Reactions: 2 people

Malcolm.Smith

Yes I sometimes have ones like that. The scary thing is when you start coming round and you have no idea where you are who your with what your name is ect then CLICK your back and you just feel really shocked :bored:. The "funky chicken legs" as my wife jovially calls it normally happens when were out on long walks 10 miles or more but I could be having a perfectly rational conversation and suddenly my legs are walking me into a muddy ditch!. I suppose its quite funny to look at but it can be a real pain in the ass ;).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does sound funny
but i can imagine it's annoying, every thing about diabetes is bloody annoying!
Not very much we can do about it either

PSS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have felt light headed, dizzy and blurred vision once when I was taking Metformin and Gliclazide. The advice is treat the hypo as soon as you feel something is going wrong !

Although I am T2 and been told it is always the meds that make you go hypo. I now am on just one Metformin sow release a day but the thought of hypo still scares me !

Reactions: 3 people

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Malcolm.Smtih, your post have made me chuckle this lunch time. I just get really ratty and irritable when my sugars drop.

Malcolm.Smith

I've been type 1 for about 37 years now. Its interesting how it effects everyone differently. I dont get ratty at all but very sleepy sometimes. Most times I feel it happening but in the case of the leg thing which happens now and then it just happens. I can control it enough to get me to a shop to buy some orange juice or chocolate but I have a short window before full silly walk kicks in. I have to sit down for 20 mins till my legs start doing what theyre told. Folk must think Ive escaped from an asylum or something.

So no one so far has had this ?.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do get a heavy feeling in my legs if I'm out walking and my levels drop. A strange hypo symptom I get is the urge to go for a pee:(

As a rule I get the hunger feeling when dropping low and fast combined with the head sweats, the symptoms are always much worse if there's active IOB, the lowest I've recorded was 1.6 around the time I got my first bg meter, it was scary and through the night which made it worse.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My worst I've recorded was 1.2, and this was on the way up! :nailbiting:

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually feel it around 3.0 I can tell because I see awhile halo in my vision. I get really tired, warm and confused/disorientated

Malcolm.Smith

I do get a heavy feeling in my legs if I'm out walking and my levels drop. A strange hypo symptom I get is the urge to go for a pee:(

As a rule I get the hunger feeling when dropping low and fast combined with the head sweats, the symptoms are always much worse if there's active IOB, the lowest I've recorded was 1.6 around the time I got my first bg meter, it was scary and through the night which made it worse.
Hmm I dont have
I usually feel it around 3.0 I can tell because I see awhile halo in my vision. I get really tired, warm and confused/disorientated

See apart from the sweats I don't get any of that.

Malcolm.Smith

Ah! yes I get like a white blob in my left eye flickering like a little light when I get low to. I thought maybe it was something to do with the bit of laser treatment I had on my eye a few years back

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get what I called "bambi legs" when my blood sugar was way too low, I felt like I wasn't actually walking on the floor and wasn't in control of my legs - much like you describe. I also used to see the multi coloured dot patterns of all the laser surgery I had on my retinas with low blood sugar. Nowadays I get zero warnings, not so much as a twitch or shake and rely on CGM and good luck to help me avoid serious hypos.

It is interesting how people get different warnings.

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

I tend to slow up a bit when walking and then find find a stiffness starts to develop in my legs and arms if I dont treat with something sugary. As a general rule, an hba1c of 6.5% usually leads to bg levels of 2-3mmol when the awareness kicks in so this is why everything is so questionable and why people either get a pump or try low csrbing or use CGM.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My worst was out shopping and I started sweating, then a complete blank, I stood stock still in my local co-op. Shaking, just staring into space.
I had no idea where I was or what I was shopping for! Still don't remember how I got back home!
Went home had a cuppa and a digestive biscuit. Had a migraine for the rest of the day.
Don't want one of them again!

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get an odd cold stripe down the side of my face and a sudden nervous feeling. I then start to feel the same way I do when drunk - I have to really concentrate on walking and all peripheral stuff is blanked out.

Talking to others on the DAFNE course no one else had the cold face, has anyone else had this one?

Malcolm.Smith

I remember once walking into a corner shop desperate to get something sugary before my legs gave way. I was confronted by hundreds of different chocolate bars and I just froze there looking at them. It was almost impossible to bend down and just pick one up!. Eventually I managed to force myself to grab a hand full of whatever was in front of me, shove my hand in my pocket and grab a hanfull of coins ( it later turned out to be about £6 ) say "sorry diabetic!" to the poor bemused guy behind the counter, then realising id never in a million years be able to pick out the right change I involentary chucked the whole lot (over arm) to the guy. I bounced out of the shop as a shower of 50p & £1 coins rained down on the man :arghh:. I've never been able to show my face in that shop again:nailbiting:.

DIDO44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just saw on facebook the poor we fella posing for a photo with a bottle of lucazade and his blood meter readin 1.5 !. He looks ok in the photo to me and it made me think, " if I was 1.5 I would be blabbering a lot of nonsanse and my legs would stop working!".

Now the leg thing is weird. I feel ok in myself but my legs seem to take on a mind of their own and go off in directions i don't want them to. I end up walking about the street like John Clease in the ministry of silly walks scetch!. I once did the splits in Trafalgar square and split my jeans in half!.

Now is this just me or does this happen to anyone else?. True it only happens if it drops below 1.5 or 6 but I was wondering if anyone had any strange symptoms from hypos they might want to share?.

All the best,

M
Type 1, Insulin Humulin M3
It's always nice to know you're not alone. The first sign for me is the sweating at the back of the neck then down the back(3-4), (2-3) hands shake a little and a small silly walk. Never be in the oneses (or onesies for that matter, to worried I wouldn't make the loo). I'm just a little worried about what would happen if the sign's ever disappear.
I hope the fellow at 1.5 was being cared for or looked after! Good luck all.