A little of what you fancy

A

AnnieC

Oh no this thread should be banned :hungry:. People all over the country sitting drooling and creating puddles.
Mine has grown to epic proportions and a mop is called for.
A pile of the best chips you have ever eaten in your life from the chippie in Appledore in between two doorsteps of white bread covered in thick butter and followed by an entire lardy cake from the local bakers.
I have never eaten a meal like that in my life but this thread is making me crave it. Thank goodness I don't drive or I might be out buying these goodies. ;)
Chips are something I do treat myself to sometimes and my favorite way of eating them is drenched in vinegar with curry sauce on them..not exactly fine dining but oh so yummy

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a word, no. Having got my blood sugars under control and enjoying the foods I now eat why would I want to do that? I have fond memories of eating things I wouldn't now go near but I'm now in a new lifestyle.

I'm a bit like that. I weigh up how much I really will enjoy the food v how badly my BS will spike and tbh in most cases I plump on side of BS. My last GP loved cake and ate it more than I ever did, but she also cycled 50 plus miles several days a week as well as yoga, and other exercise. What I've taken from that is that treats should be that. A treat for something you've done to earn them. So yes, indulge in a square of fudge or salted caramel if you want to, but not often and not without cutting carbs elsewhere and upping the exercise.

Reactions: 7 people
A

AnnieC

This is what I don't understand. It is torture, but the OP is waiting for a diagnosis of maybe type 2 now or maybe still prediabetic. I really hope for her sake that she is still pre diabetic because it's so much easier than being type 2. But why are we being asked to taunt her with things she soon might not be able to have often? I find that rather distasteful, excuse the pun. I must admit I wish I was back there in my pre-diabetic days, oh well, that's life.

Zand I will know next week if I am now diabetic and if I am then I will cope with it At least by joining this forum I have learnt a lot and have changed my eating quite a bit and I will adapt it even more if I am T2 and I need to
I asked the question about treats so no it does not taunt me to hear what people have or would like to eat Even people on weight loss diets have to give up things they enjoyed. I am a firm believer that we all need a treat sometimes especially if we are feeling a bit down and it only needs to be a little thing not a full blown high carb banquet and it does not do any harm if it is just occasionally

Reactions: 9 people
A

AnnieC

nahhhh, not for me....a huge bg spike stops me from enjoying something like that, which i suppose is a good thing as it keeps me from treating myself with anything unhealthy and keeps me enjoying low carb treats like these....

Sorry Andy but those cakes do nothing for me at all. I never been a cake eater so give me a nice savory snack any day . I would never bother to make any of the sugar free chocolate treats or cakes as they are not what I crave for a treat
cup%2Bcakes%2Bhaloween%2B635%2Bnapis%2B111.jpg

9g of carbs each though so only an occasional treat :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand I will know next week if I am now diabetic and if I am then I will cope with it At least by joining this forum I have learnt a lot and have changed my eating quite a bit and I will adapt it even more if I am T2 and I need to
I asked the question about treats so no it does not taunt me to hear what people have or would like to eat Even people on weight loss diets have to give up things they enjoyed. I am a firm believer that we all need a treat sometimes especially if we are feeling a bit down and it only needs to be a little thing not a full blown high carb banquet and it does not do any harm if it is just occasionally

Well Annie I sincerely hope you are not T2. I think there's a good chance you won't be :)

I'm sorry, I think my view of this thread may have been a little distorted by the fact that I'm having counselling for depression and deep seated childhood issues and I no longer view food as a treat, simply nutrition. My own treats when I am feeling down are buying a magazine, walking (when I should really be doing housework), leaving the washing up for my husband;), listening to music, driving - just anywhere. and chatting on forums. :)

Reactions: 6 people
A

AnnieC

Well Annie I sincerely hope you are not T2. I think there's a good chance you won't be :)

I'm sorry, I think my view of this thread may have been a little distorted by the fact that I'm having counselling for depression and deep seated childhood issues and I no longer view food as a treat, simply nutrition. My own treats when I am feeling down are buying a magazine, walking (when I should really be doing housework), leaving the washing up for my husband;), listening to music, driving - just anywhere. and chatting on forums. :)
Well that is great and having a treat does not always mean something to eat it is whatever works for you so I wish you well

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Home made rice pudding! Gosh hadn't though of that for ages. My mum made it for me whenever I got sick when I was little, it was the only thing I'd eat.
Has to have a good old skin on the top, made with proper full fat milk!

I expect everyone will say the same, but my mam made the best rice pudding and we would fight amongst each other who got the skin off the top, she always burnt it which made it all the more enjoyable :)

Reactions: 3 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
images
free milk.:hungry:or:yuck:
In winter/cold weather :yes, especiall ythe cream at the top:cool:
but in summer, it was like eating cottage cheese 'cos the heat had turned it:yuck:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I expect everyone will say the same, but my mam made the best rice pudding and we would fight amongst each other who got the skin off the top, she always burnt it which made it all the more enjoyable :)

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: but my Ex loved rice pudding and I used to make it for him, with grated nutmeg on the top, and I haven't made it for donkeys years :happy: :joyful:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just goes to show how 'human' most people are with little indiscretions. A light hearted thread that should be taken in the context it was written in by the OP. I have posted some nice memories, but I hasn't made me cave in to anything on the 'naughty list'. I actually popped into Holland and Barrett today and bought a bag of linseed to ground up for bread making ( when I get round to doing it) :rolleyes: but that sentence should really be on another section :oops: :angelic: lol

RRB

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

Today I walked round a shop a food shop for a reason , it was by chance , because supermarket food was done yesterday ....
Anyway on entering the store for a free drink :p...very nice ...I was given a shopping list, on it were all the things I used to love ...
Did I find it distasteful NO....I was more privileged , because if I want to have a taster or a treat of any of these foods that were on the list I will and I can ...lucky me...! My choice .
I thought of Annie's thread at that moment ...because I was able to donate two boxes of Christmas biscuits to the food bank charity ...
I have plenty of memories and alternatives to have instread of these boxes ...and now I have helped others , only in a small way , to have a treat and a memory from a food bank at Christmas ....lovely thread @AnnieC now I have my past memory of those Christmas treats and a future memory of which I have been able to allow someone else to enjoy ....distasteful no not at all ....why should it be ...humbling yes .....
Opps I have encouraged a person to have a treat with sugar in and of course carbs ...but it is for Christmas after all ...Kat

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss jacket spuds. Everything else I can substitute but not them. I haven't indulged yet but one day I will. Maybe I'll find that half a one is ok and more than enough. I've found chips are no way as delicious as I once thought. I can manage about 5 skin on wedges or 8 fried ones ok provided I peddle for about 15 minutes afterwards. Learning that rewards come at a price has been the one good thing to come out of diagnosis. Sometimes I'm willing to pay that price, be it a slightly higher BS than I like ( over 6.5) or more exercise. I've also found that what constitutes a little of what I fancy has changed so that I can actually have things I like more often, like dark chocolate or a small portion of almond flour topped crumble or a big crunchy homemade coleslaw.

Have you tried baked sweet potato? I find I'm ok with that.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried baked sweet potato? I find I'm ok with that.
I've had the odd chunk. I'm not sure I could eat one baked even if I weren't diabetic as too sweet for me other than in small amounts or soup. I'm going to have a small baked one one day and cross my fingers .

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just goes to show how 'human' most people are with little indiscretions. A light hearted thread that should be taken in the context it was written in by the OP. I have posted some nice memories, but I hasn't made me cave in to anything on the 'naughty list'. I actually popped into Holland and Barrett today and bought a bag of linseed to ground up for bread making ( when I get round to doing it) :rolleyes: but that sentence should really be on another section :oops: :angelic: lol

RRB
I am going to drive back up to Scotland to find that Scotch pie van and the garage where petrol is just under £1 for 20 litres. It was about 50+ years ago, when I last had a Scotch pie.I hope nothing has changed.:)

K

Kat100

I am going to drive back up to Scotland to find that Scotch pie van and the garage where petrol is just under £1 for 20 litres. It was about 50+ years ago, when I last had a Scotch pie.I hope nothing has changed.:)
Well I hope the weather is good for you , no,heavy snow on your journey ....;)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robinredbreast , talking about low prices how about £1.58p for 1klg linseed. today.WP_20141114_15_35_36_Pro.jpg we grind the seeds all the time.
My wife would like your bread recipe with added linseed, Please.:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today, I am missing that gorgeous salty, rich, savoury tangy crispness you get with a fab cheese straw.

I have some LC ones in the oven as I type. Heavy on the horseradish and black pepper. Light on the garlic powder. Sprinkled with posh sea salt.

I'm not going to be able to hold off long enough for them to cool and get crispy...

:happy::happy::happy: