FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think people are focussing too much on the time lag when that is not causing the issue some of us have been seeing.

Yes: there are two issues - the time lag and the value of the numbers.

Are CGM readings always lower than blood meter readings, BTW? Or is the Libre lower because Abbott went for factory calibration rather than manual?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes: there are two issues - the time lag and the value of the numbers.

Are CGM readings always lower than blood meter readings, BTW? Or is the Libre lower because Abbott went for factory calibration rather than manual?

I'm not sure Lucy, but one of the Abbott's reps in one of my more productive calls to them told me they expect to see the libre run low sometimes because the concentration of glucose in the blood can sometimes be higher than the concentration in IF. So when I was giving him my figures clearly showing that the libre was frequently running higher, he couldn't understand why that would be. He went off to take advice and came back saying they would replace the sensor (which they haven't done grrr...) What I really wanted him to do was go and find somebody with the intelligence and knowledge to engage with what I was telling them and start investigating the issue.

So far my third sensor seems to be a lot more accurate, but I guess time will tell.

Smidge

lordward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All,

Im new to forums so excuse me if I fluff up a bit!

Im currently considering Pump and CGM (Libre).

I was wondering if anyone had approached the GP to transfer the lancet/test strip funding to the Freestyle unit?
I currently use £110.00 (apprx) in test strips every 6 weeks, I want to apply this, or some of this, to libre.

Has anyone else attempted/done this ... with choice driven NHS is it even possible?

Thanks

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Until he injected 11u of Novorapid instead of Tresiba ;)

View attachment 8295

Very interestingly though Robert, look how long that overdose of Novorapid affected you for. We're always led to believe that it's a 5 hour max and then out of the system. In fact, the DAFNE teaching is largely based on this premise - hence if your last bolus was 5 hours before you got to sleep, anything that happens to your BG overnight is to do with your basal. Your profile for Tuesday seems to blow this theory apart - or am I misinterpreting that?

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interestingly though Robert, look how long that overdose of Novorapid affected you for. We're always led to believe that it's a 5 hour max and then out of the system. In fact, the DAFNE teaching is largely based on this premise - hence if your last bolus was 5 hours before you got to sleep, anything that happens to your BG overnight is to do with your basal. Your profile for Tuesday seems to blow this theory apart - or am I misinterpreting that?

Smidge
I seem to have been very insulin resistant since devouring so much glucose, which put me on a roller coaster. Even this morning my BG shot up for no reason and I had to rage bolus to get it down. Maybe I have too much glycogen on board. I was always a bit unpredictable like this until I started low-carbing.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found this on a French forum, there is of course no way to check it's accuracy and it may be a bit Chinese whispers!. I've translated it as well as I could.
http://forum.doctissimo.fr/sante/diabete/nouveau-lecteur-piquer-sujet_172956_1.htm

I found it an interesting opinion , particularly in view of the mixed results people are having. I found it great but I probably have LADA and those of us who have a little insulin of our own may have fewer fluctuations .

It is certainly true that all the current long term trials in France (and the UK) are on insulin using T2s. (others elsewhere in Europe though are on T1s) There is also one particularly famous professor in France whose name begins with R who is a world expert on the artificial pancreas His hospital is involved in the T2 trials of the libre but are so are many of the major hospitals here (ie, it’s a guess but if it’s him, he has an expert knowledge of pumps/cgms and T1 and is/has been a consultant/advisor to Abbott and a whole host of other pump and cgm companies)

Makes sense, I know their initial trials were all on T2

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Makes sense, I know their initial trials were all on T2
If this is true, then there is an issue with marketing to T1s....

On a different note, this is what the sensor looks like after you remove it. Not for the squeamish as it includes dried blood.

8fd53f2d51f7fe0b1d63cfba1e75ea4a.jpg

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having read the french topic, it is quite an interesting point of view, especially as that isn't the way that it is being portrayed in the literature on the website. I have called and am emailing to garner further information relating to the test pattern that they have used.

On the call I asked about which diabetic type the meter/sensor is designed for. The guy on the phone really couldn't answer that question. His view was that it was applicable for all types.

My question relating to that French quote is why would they include the ability for a health care professional to set up the insulin calculator and allow you to enter insulin details if it wasn't designed to work on all types?

Watch this space...
Of course all the bloggers who were given it to trial were I think type 1s.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All,

Im new to forums so excuse me if I fluff up a bit!

Im currently considering Pump and CGM (Libre).

I was wondering if anyone had approached the GP to transfer the lancet/test strip funding to the Freestyle unit?
I currently use £110.00 (apprx) in test strips every 6 weeks, I want to apply this, or some of this, to libre.

Has anyone else attempted/done this ... with choice driven NHS is it even possible?

Thanks

Hi lordward. The Libre is not currently available on the NHS. Even if it were, you would still need to test your blood using the traditional BG meter, so you wouldn't be able to stop the funding of lancets and test strips. Finally, I don't think the NHS allows for partial funding or allowances, although I might be wrong about that.

Smidge

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Am I the only one that is still waiting for a refund from Abbott? :mad:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Following the swapover of the sensor, mine's been activated for roughly two hours. It seems to be showing sensible blood glucose levels (slightly below my BS at the moment, by approx 0.6mmol/l, but is consistently at this level. Let's see what the next 24 hours brings.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only one that is still waiting for a refund from Abbott? :mad:

I had mine a couple of weeks back - but I did hassle them quite a bit to get it sorted out. Their system said that it had been processed, but it hadn't. A nice lady there took responsibility for chasing it through in the end and I got it within two days of her dealing with it, so I can only assume it would never have arrived had she not got involved.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, here's some stats from my first two sensors that some of you might be interested in:

Out of 201 (yes, really!!!) comparable BG tests on my AC Mobile and scans on the Libre:

103 had a difference of >= +/- 1mmol

of that 49 had a difference of >= +/- 1.5mmol
of that 21 had a difference of >= +/- 2mmol
of that 14 had a difference of >= +/- 2.5mmol
and of that 8 had a difference of >= +/- 3mmol
with 1 reading a massive 5mmol out.

159 of the 201 were higher on the Libre than the Mobile and 38 were lower.
The Mobile was within 0.3 mmol of the built-in Libre meter whenever I checked it (only checked it 6 times though due to lack of strips).

So, that's the accuracy from my first two sensors.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
While one might expect variance, that's a pretty significant variance. Are you able to compare those variances relative to the lifetime of the sensor?

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New sensor is about 2.5 mmol low - hope it gets better by tomorrow when I go to show it off to my Endo.

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 17.48.50.png

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

I've had such a **** day again. My scans are actually one lower too :(

I injected more insulin than normal, I keep going up to 15 and getting ketones. I took more at 4 o clock too, no food. Do u think my honeymoon is over? Or because i dropped my basal from 10 to 7 because of hypos? I'm at the end if my tether, feel really ill :-(

On the plus side I've lost 2kg in a week where my sugars have been high :banghead:

19 mins until I swap to new sensor