Zombie attack/end of the world

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone ever watch zombie/end of the world type of films and think I'm screwed no more insulin! Haha I was watching a series called under the dome and someone can't get insulin so it can't be just me that thinks it!

Reactions: 12 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know what I have thought about this before too!!! Haha. I ended up deciding it would be better to just become a zombie straight off as I don't reckon zombies need insulin

Reactions: 10 people

norwaycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who make a big deal out of beIng a diabetic
Have thought that, then thought that would have been the least of our problems lol

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good thinking! I usually have at least a couple of months supply of insulin at home and think I would have to go round all the chemists at night and get more haha

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
if it was the end of the world I wouldn't be too concerned about insulin.

Reactions: 8 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good thinking! I usually have at least a couple of months supply of insulin at home and think I would have to go round all the chemists at night and get more haha
but if there's no power how will u refrigerate it?

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do, I love The Walking Dead and often think we would be knackered. It's all well and good saying you would go and get more in the chemist but insulin has an expiry date of between 18 months and 2 years. Even if we killed the zombies I doubt insulin production would be the top of anyones list in rebuilding the shattered world.

However we could try and extract insulin from pigs using a knife and a straw and then injecting that :) You could keep a supply of kune kune pigs in your hill top dwelling for such a purpose.

If you met up with a group of other survivors though it would only be right if you undertook all the dangerous missions yourself because your life would not be as important as a non T1 who can live for many more years. You would be admired for your stoic bravery and given a rousing send off when you finally passed away looking and smelling like an emaciated pear drop.

But don't give up hope. In order to survive you need to do the following things,

1) Get a weapon, preferably a big one. The world has turned to custard and you will need to defend yourself from zombies and other surviving n'er do wells trying to attack you. A tank is ideal.
2) Get to the chemist and get as much insulin as possible and store in cool bags.
3) Get food and use Item 1 to help you in the search.
4) Get out of the city, they are dangerous and will rapidly turn into disease ridden no go areas. A bit like South London is now.
5) Find a defendable place that has natural running water and good soil so you can grow fruit and veg...and dope because lets face it you'll be dead in a few years so you might as well have some fun. An island is good.

You can see I have spent probably too long thinking about this stuff!

Reactions: 14 people

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hadn't thought about the fridge issue :( ok new plan in Wales there are those Eco holiday places that run without electricity we can make our way across there stopping at every town we can building up our supply of insulin and then live a very low carb diet so we can use the insulin as little as possible lol

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hadn't thought about the fridge issue :( ok new plan in Wales there are those Eco holiday places that run without electricity we can make our way across there stopping at every town we can building up our supply of insulin and then live a very low carb diet so we can use the insulin as little as possible lol
Either that or we stock up on insulin, steal a plane and fly to Iceland where we can keep it cool. I think zombies might be slower in such cold conditions too, and they would slip on the ice. Problem is, diabetics can't be pilots, so who will fly the plane?

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We could drive to Scotland then get a boat but we would have to make sure we check our blood half hour before we leave and regularly throughout the journey

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We could drive to Scotland then get a boat but we would have to make sure we check our blood half hour before we leave and regularly throughout the journey

Remember, it's only a film Kevin :)

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I'm only being stupid I wouldn't actually last two mins in reality haha :p

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Either that or we stock up on insulin, steal a plane and fly to Iceland where we can keep it cool. I think zombies might be slower in such cold conditions too, and they would slip on the ice. Problem is, diabetics can't be pilots, so who will fly the plane?
You seem to forget that normal rules don't apply. I will deliberately inject a couple of units too much and make sure I am on the point of hypoing before getting behind the wheel. I don't even have a licence, that's how hardcore I am. Bring it on zombie losers.

Reactions: 12 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right, just so we're clear, 48 hours after the outbreak (that should be enough time to stock up) we'll all meet at Luton airport and take a private jet.

I'm glad we've got this planned out

Reactions: 2 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perfect, wait until the zombies are asleep :p

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was going to fly to Scandinavia where it's got the cold bits, but also the insulin production plant from Novo, so we could have the best of both worlds. I'm sure they will have back up generators...

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't imagine a worse time for a hypo than running away from zombies!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See, I'm type 2, so I already have:
  • Insatiable appetite
  • Desire for sweet, sweet blood (look out all you type 1s)
  • The zombie lurch
  • A low carb high fat diet

So, business as normal then, after zombification.

Reactions: 4 people