Zombie attack/end of the world

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely the best posts in quite a while, it actually makes me quite sad I wouldn't have a fighting chance in a zombie apocalypse :D
Why do you want a cure for diabetes? To make surviving a zombie apocalypse easier!
Uh oh, everyone would start searching for a cure for the zombie virus and stop looking for a cure for diabetes!

Reactions: 2 people

ontheneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've often thought that if I was kidnapped, it wouldn't be like the movies.

In the movies they get held for days... I'd go a few hours and either go high or low and nod off into my own world!

They'd probably send me home with a note to say they've given up on the ransom!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They'd let us off, and let us out, but would we get home? :confused:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have thought about this... My conclusion? Eeking out what insulin i have in stock & living of feral household pets....

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm betting feral household pets wouldn't come labelled with a handy carbohydrate content guide.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone ever watch zombie/end of the world type of films and think I'm screwed no more insulin! Haha I was watching a series called under the dome and someone can't get insulin so it can't be just me that thinks it!

Under the domes Explanation of the insulin and how she died was so badly researched

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've often thought that if I was kidnapped, it wouldn't be like the movies.

In the movies they get held for days... I'd go a few hours and either go high or low and nod off into my own world!

They'd probably send me home with a note to say they've given up on the ransom!

you can laugh about it, but in some places I go that's a very real risk, and had me thinking. A recent course I went on said that in most cases you have a value alive, so it's in their best interest to get any drugs you need.

I'm not sure they'd pick them up from my local branch of Lloyds for me though

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone ever watch zombie/end of the world type of films and think I'm screwed no more insulin! Haha I was watching a series called under the dome and someone can't get insulin so it can't be just me that thinks it!

I watch the the walking dead and I am waiting on under the dome starting again, so yeah, I have thought about this.........

I thought that the diabetic character could have lasted longer without the insulin personally....

If it happened I would probably just dispatch myself and therefore giving my loved ones a better chance.......:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm betting feral household pets wouldn't come labelled with a handy carbohydrate content guide.

True. But I was thinking more along the lines of a pre insulin invention diabetic diet (1921?) in an attempt to prolong life. Which I believe was exclusively chicken...? I don't think I would be stalking canned food stuffs.
There would be an abundance of cat & dog about.. Lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus, who's to say they haven't been infected? Would cooking destroy the virus?
The classic zombie idea or "undead" came from old Voodoo folklore.. But the reality was probably the practice of poisoning someone (say as a punishment or if there was a grudge against the individual.) with a drug that paralized them giving the "appearance" of death. The unfortunate person was then buried alive... Sometimes the victim managed to dig their way out when the drug wore off. However the bedraggled survivor with the associated phycological trauma of the ordeal would have been seen as an evil omen or curse... The "undead."

The virus is a modern movie industry idea...still based along medical lines though...!

Last edited by a moderator:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The classic zombie idea or "undead" came from old Voodoo folklore.. But the reality was probably the practice of poisoning someone (say as a punishment or if there was a grudge against the individual.) with a drug that paralized them giving the "appearance" of death. The unfortunate person was then buried alive... Sometimes the victim managed to dig their way out when the drug wore off. However the bedraggled survivor with the associated phycological trauma of the ordeal would have been seen as an evil omen or curse... The "undead."

The virus is a modern movie industry idea...still based along medical lines though...!
There's also the Jewish version of the Golem or reanimated corpse with no soul.

Personally I'd be living wild, plenty of rabbit, hare, pheasant, partridge etc around in the fens. And not a carb to be seen.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Nice series, the best part is the Cow ?

reamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the event of the aapocalypse I have already given my friends instruction to shoot me. I'd only slow them down.
Even if I had access to insulin Jay not have access to food. You can't run when your hypo x

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was, sadly, one of the first things i thought about. I am huge fan of apocalyptic movies/books/tv shows.

I saw a couple posts on other forums that give some step by step methods for extracting insulin from animals (as was done in the very early years after that method was discovered) It involves a lot of horrible things i wouldn't have the heart to do to animals, and then you still need a decent lab setup to purify it.

However, if anyone has watched World War Z, i would think diabtetics would be on the list of 'immune' diseases the zombies/virus would avoid because technically we are sick. Which means we would walk undetected through the zombie hordes..

My plan would be as follows -
1) Stock up on insulin, all kinds, especially long acting ( I know i can go days without bolusing with low carb diet and exercise). This means getting out there in 'panic mode' before the news fully sinks in. Acting early and acting quick is crucial here.
2) Get my new found insulin cache to a safe place with plenty of food, where i can wait things out. The reason here is it will be at its worst at the start, after a year things will be much much more settled, and i should have a years worth of insulin by now anyway (i always keep at least 4 months of supplies in case i loose or change jobs i will have enough during the period before when my new benefits plan kicks in lol)
3) After a while, my quest would be to travel to the nearest Novo Nordisk, lantas, humalog etc factory..

Repeat step 3 until apocalypse blows over or i die.

I honestly think i could last min 2 years by rooming around raiding pharmacies, if i find a factory or packing plant they will likely have LOTS of insulin stock kicking around that hasn't been shipped out and expire insulin is better then none right? Maybe its as simply as throwing a switch to turn production back on? No idea though lol

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So would the zombies only not detect us if our BG was too high? Or can they detect the antibodies? I don't think they would be that fussy. And it might depend on the virus.

The problem with animal insulin is that u don't know if the animal is infected.

There's a lot to think about.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well based on the movie I would assume they would be able to 'smell' the bad pancreas and leave us be.

The basis of that argument is that the virus seeks a healthy host to live in and as soon as we get infected we would likely begin to 'die' within days due to lack of insulin (although eating human is likely low carb and we'd be getting plenty of exercise running about) making us not a good host lol

However, that's just a movie lol

I think we are more likely to run into a situation where the apocalypse is in the form of a massive war, or disease - like the Ebola thing :/ that's got me a bit worried TBH.

Civil unrest could stop the flow of insulin if it's extreme enough.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
But don't forget the chant: "Eat plenty of starchy carbs":confused:

angua

Guys this all sounds great for you insulin junkies:meh: .. what am I gonna do when my pacemaker battery runs out ?
Maybe I should carry jump leads and hope to find a car battery from time to time :p

Reactions: 8 people