Hounslow support group meetings

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
These meetings will be held on th elast Tuesday of each month, beginning March 25, 7 p.m. at Montague Hall.

There were no meetings in January or February.

I will post information as available.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
March 25th meeting:

I hope that as many of you will come to our first meeting of 2014 on Tuesday 25 March. As always our our meetings will take place at Montague Hall on the last Tuesday of each month except in December. As usual I will send out a meeting reminder every month giving brief details of the programme. .

The programme for the evening is given below. To kick off the programme for 2014 we are pleased that Alan Gilding from The St Johns Ambulance Service will give a talk on First Aid relevant Diabetes, Heart Stroke incidents.. This will followed by our Annual General Meeting. The Cheif Executives, of each of the three groups which make up Hounslow Cardiovascular Alliance, will outline the activities of the group over the past year and plans for the future. Each group will also present their accounts for ratification by the meeting..

The programme is as follows:

7.00pm Open for Tea and refreshments

7.30pm Alan Gilding , St Johns Ambulance Service

8.15pm AGM for Diabetes, Heart and Stroke groups

9.05pm Raffle

9.15pm Close

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Our next meeting is on Tuesday 29 April 2014, Our speakers for the eving will be Dr. Leca from ealing NHS Trust who will give a talk on Diabetes related topic and Ian Day who is a member of our group. I have not been able to confirm a topic for Dr. Leca’s talk..

Ian Day has many years experience of practicing a Low carbohydrate diet..He will be sharing his experience on how he has managed to control his blood sugar.

The programme for the evening is given below.
7.30pm Dr Varunika Leca from Ealing NHS Trust
8.15pm Ian Day
9.05pm Raffle
9.15pm Close

Venue:
Montague Public Hall, 30 Montague Road, Hounslow TW3 1LD

Montague Road is just off Hounslow High Street on the corner with Holy Trinity Church. The Hall is opposite Hounslow Police Station. There is ample free parking after 6.30pm in public car parks in Montague Road and Alexandra Road (the next road along, see map attached).

Cost
Our meetings are free, but we ask for a donation of £1 at the door to cover the cost of providing refreshments and buying a gift for the guest speaker.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Tomorrow, Tuesday !!

Will I see any of you folk there ??

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
How many type 1's turn up to these events Ian?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A significant number of the 50 or so who come, but I don't know. You could phone -

Jasbir Chana

Tel: 020-8574-7308 Mobile:07909-841281

Ian

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Last evening I was addressing our local diabetes support group on my experience with a low carb, high fat diet - contrary to the professional approach that insists that carbs are essential for health, & that fats are bad.

I gave my talk first, then I though I was handing over to the doctor but the questions followed. Particular concerne was for patients who have progressed to stronger medication including insulin. Obviously such cannot just give up carbs. I did not have time for a reasoned reply, but would have suggested carb counting - as is promoted anyway - & more frequent testing & cautious reduction of the medication. Medical support is advised.

Contributions & comments from the floor limited the time available for the doctor & dietians.

The doctor & 2 dieticians were present - the doctor spoke - knowing my low carb approach [I met her at a Southall meeting (qv) 2 months ago.] She gave cautious support for reduced carb (down to about 130 g daily) but advised against going very low (down to 30 g.) She recommended portion control - a fist size of dry carb 3 portions daily.

The dietitians warned against low carb problems - Loss of brain function [don't you dare agree] & muscle wasting [I'm 75 & play lawn & table tennis - I wore my table tennis Olympic gold (an event organised by their hospital)] are included in the supposed dangers. The discussion will continue in a future meeting, & privately. That is an argument I am determined to win against the experts - who believe & teach what they have been taught. Six years ago I was becoming crippled & then I gave up eating carbs. Exercise was strongly recommended. Doctor pointed out that I had become incapable of exercise when I changed my diet.

One of the dietitians is a forum member. I asked if she could identify herself to me.

A point we need to stress is the benefits of a change to low carb, increased fat, plenty of veg, rather than the dangers of carb reduction when the disease has progressed to increased medication. START THE DIET EARLY TO PREVENT PROGRESSION!"

I showed a simplified LCHF version of the "diet pyramid." The dietitians gave away copies of the standard diet plate.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Low carb diet pyramid.jpg

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Next meeting is May 27th. I can't be there.

The next Southall meeting is May 24th. I expect to be there.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Are these still happening? How close to train station?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hi! Are these still happening? How close to train station?
Less than 5 minutes walk from the Hounslow Central underground station. It/s not very convenient from Hounslow train station.

I'm scheduled to play tennis that evening, but if you intend to come I would be there about 8:45.

Next meeting Nov. 25th - from the organiser:

"We are now coming to last meeting of the year. We hope you will all try and make it. It is amazing the speed at which this year gone by. Christmas and New Year are just around corner again. Hopefully, we will all be blessed with Peace and Goodwill in 2015.

I understand that Lucy’s talk was very relevant for those people with diabetes who need to monitor their blood sugars on a daily basis. To find out more please look at Abbot Diabetic Care’s website https://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/press-room/2014.html. This was followed by an update from David Cahill on the meeting held on 29th September where Sue Jeffers gave an update on the progress on diabetes care in Hounslow. The meeting was organised by Diabetes UK. It was of concern to note that there is not going to be a significant improvement in Diabetes care in Hounslow. Hounslow will remain in bottom quartile nationally as far as diabetes care is concerned.

Our next meeting is on Tuesday 25th November 2014. Our first speaker is Dr Bobby Mann who is a Respiratory Consultant at West Middlesex Hospital. He will give a short talk on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD) . There is rise in the conditions which come under this umbrella term and in the future the NHS resources being spent in this area will grow significantly.

Our second talk is from Sheenagh Murphy who is Senior Research Nurse, NIHR Clinical Research Network: North West London. Sheenagh will talk about the research program for which they are looking for participants. Details of the programme are on the attached flier.

The programme for the evening will be :
7.30pm Dr. David Mann from West Middlesex Hospital
8.10pm Sheenagh Murphy from NIHR Clinical Reasearch Network.
8.45pm Raffle
9,00 pm Snacks and wine
9.15pm Close

Venue:
Montague Public Hall, 30 Montague Road, Hounslow TW3 1LD
Montague Road is just off Hounslow High Street on the corner with Holy Trinity Church. The Hall is opposite Hounslow Police Station. There is ample free parking after 6.30pm in public car parks in Montague Road and Alexandra Road (the next road along, see map attached).
Cost
Our meetings are free, but we ask for a donation of £1 at the door to cover the cost of providing refreshments and buying a gift for the guest speaker.

Montague Public Hall
Montague Road, Hounslow, Middlesex, TW3 1LD
T: 0845 456 2828*

How to get to there

Bus: 81, 110, 111, 116, 120, 203, 222, 235,
237, 281, H20, H22, H23, H28, H32,

H37, H98 Rail: Hounslow Mainline Station
Tube: Hounslow Central (Piccadilly Line)
Parking: Pay and display parking is available opposite the hall Free after 6.30pm.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the 81 bus goes from slough. I'll check it out. Do many T1s go?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
50/50? of about 50 attending.? My mobile is 07980 507597 if you want help with getting there - & home. I will be at the tennis club 10 minutes away by 7:00 so I could meet you just before.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good. I probably can't make tomorrow actually but will definitely come along to the next one :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Sounds good. I probably can't make tomorrow actually but will definitely come along to the next one :)
I was there (too cold & wet for tennis.) I don't think you would have found the presentation helpful, unless you suffer from COPD. The second talk was simply a request for people for cooperate with an on-line questionaire about the information & warnings on medicines. She gave out free pens with a special tip for touch screen use.

Next meeting should be January - always the last Tuesday. Information about the speakers is usually late coming.

I was pleased that a number of folk mentioned that the low carb, increased fat message was getting heard.