Which pump?!

AlexB

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have MODY Diabetes (genetic) and have been diagnosed for 23 years. I am about to go onto an insulin pump to get better control as i have quite a lot of damage to my eyes that i am seen at Moorefields for. Having had a pre-assessment meeting today with the nurse we have narrowed it down to either Accu-Check, Animas or Medtronic as i need minute doses of insulin as i am exquisitely sensative to it.
Does anyone have any tips or anecdotes about these pumps? I don't know anyone who has a pump to ask!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas has the best CGM capability and is waterproof (a bigger deal maker than i could ever imagine!) but i know @donnellysdogs has experience with small insulin amounts maybe?

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I too would be interested in finding out which is the best. I have been given options between:

Accuchek Roche - Combo pump
Animas UK- Vibe pump
Medtronic - Veo pump
OmniPod - patch pump

I would ideally like one that has the CGM integrated. I would ideally like to try out the OmniPod due to the fact it doesn't have any tubing but it doesn't have an integrated CGM (yet - although I believe it is in the pipeline?).

I know the Animas Vibe sounds really good but the Medtronic Veo also looks good (http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk...radigm-veo/continuous-glucose-monitoring.html). They both have the CGM wireless function.

Really have no clue which one to go for. I'll probably give them all a trial and see which ones I get on with best to be honest!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sadly its not a simple choice and everyone will tell you there pump is the best, it depends upon what you need first.

Best to make a list in priority order then check each pump against your list, like.
1. Low dosing capability
2. CGM
3. Remote control via handset
etc.

Try sites like http://www.waltzingthedragon.ca/Comparison_of_Pumps.html.

For what its worth I'm on a combo and like it (due to the remote), also tried the Omnipod later and would move to it if given the choice (but can't for another few years). I also use a CGM but would not move to Animas because for me the remote control is more important than integrated CGM.

Hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too would be interested in finding out which is the best. I have been given options between:

Animas UK- Vibe pump
Medtronic - Veo pump
OmniPod - patch pump

I would ideally like one that has the CGM integrated. I would ideally like to try out the OmniPod due to the fact it doesn't have any tubing but it doesn't have an integrated CGM (yet - although I believe it is in the pipeline?).

I know the Animas Vibe sounds really good but the Medtronic Veo also looks good (http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk...radigm-veo/continuous-glucose-monitoring.html). They both have the CGM wireless function.

Really have no clue which one to go for. I'll probably give them all a trial and see which ones I get on with best to be honest!

Please look at reports for CGM's, Dexcom is reported by users to be far more reliable and accurate than Meditronic.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Alex,

I use the Medtronic Paradigm Veo and am overall satisfied with it.

My one complaint: I chose the Medtronic due to the CGM and was very disappointed with it. Claims like you can wear the sensor in the pool and leave your pump on the side so it can continue to monitor your levels... rubbish. I took my pump off to shower, leaving it 50cm away and the range alarm started going off! Even in bed when my pump might end up rolling away from my body and the range alarm started going off.. and obviously it stopped recording bg levels.

Other than that I like the Medtronic Paradigm Veo - as many different basal rate patterns as you want, temp basal rates for one off events, e.g. exercise. And you can upload all your readings to their website to see reports and patterns. Support and accessory delivery always very good too.

Good luck with your decision.
Sam.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently on the CEllnovo but thinking of switching because of ongoing problems.

I was looking at the Roche Accuchek Combo as my other option originally, again due to the separate handset, but the Insight is now available, and also offers the option of a pre-filled insulin cartridge. Small doses are also an issue for me.

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI Dave,

I have had to come off the Cellnovo due tot he relentless issues, like you am now considering Insight, are you in the group hoping to swap over next week?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flossy, I'm going to be behind you simply because I can't into the clinic until mid-December, but I've been in contact with the department over the last few days. Like you and other the problems are not stopping at the moment.

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will let you know how this one goes in that case!! So disappointed the Cellnovo is having so many problems, I had such high hopes.

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In terms of actual faults it would regularly stop giving a bolus half way through delivery which then means throwing the ic and setting up a new one, the ic's themselves were not reliable and would not always stay attached to the pump body, but mainly (and this is my opinion not a proven fault) the system does not perform/deliver insulin reliably, I have been pumping for 9 years and have pretty good bloods most of the time (hbac 6.1) but within weeks of being on cellnovo system my bloods were running in the scary high range(plus 24mmol/l) and I just could not get them settled. I have been back on medtronic for a week and bloods are back to consistant single figures. As I have mentioned in previous threads I was so excited by the cellnovo system and I would still like to see it work and fingers crossed in 4 years time when the next pump change is due it will be a serious contender in the market.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that no good at all. I was wonder ring if my carb counting had hone awry having several >12 readings which is very unusual for me. I put bit down to needing to be more accurate on the pump.

I've had similar problems with spontaneous ejection of the cartridges, stopped boluses, pump not recognising the brand new cartridge, handset freezing at the same time as the pump fails leaving me with no idea what's happening to half an hour until I could change it. Tonight, second of the last three changes had a problem needing a handset reset.

I know they were struggling to fill demand, and I wonder whether that's led to any problems.

Tonight was really the last straw, I can't be going away on business three weeks on the trot not knowing if the pump is going to fail

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just using this a bit of a log now, to record the issues
one total pump failure, needed replacing
one handset failure needed replacing
last three cartridge changes have all had issues, one resulte in me discarding the brand new cartidge that the pump would not recognise and starting again
one pump stoppage - only got warning an hour later
today, bolus stopped at lunch, redelivery ended up with more than originally programmed so an extra snack needed
Tues/Weds, spare pump started beeping overnight, woke me up, driving me bl00dy nuts.
Thursday evening cannula and reservoir change, required several resets of the handset before it would start the pump
All week - at least one test strip error per day.
Sunday - 5 test strip errors, changed insulin cartridge and cannula, pump refused to recognise it again despite several resets of handset and reinsertion of reservoir, required a new reservoir.

Last edited by a moderator:

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders

Animas UK- Vibe pump
Medtronic - Veo pump
OmniPod - patch pump

I've started the Omnipod in July this year and yes, it doesn't have the integrated CGM which would be nice. BUT and that's why I wanted it - it doesn't have any tubing dangling around which was the most important factor for me. But as someone else said everybody will say that their pump is the best so I think it's a good idea if you have a trial of all of them. I trialled my Omnipod and decided straight afterwards that that's the pump I wanted:)

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So sorry to hear about your struggles with cellnovo. I had seen it and thought it looked fab but now I've read your posts I know it's not for me. I had such high hopes for my omnipod but am having a really hard time with the pods/adhesive/cannulas at the moment. I'm coming to conclusion that patch pumps don't like me and hoping for better luck with a tubed pump as despite all problems...hba1c lower on pump than mdi. Thanks for replying. I really hope things improve for you both soon!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Final straw tonight, pump refused to recognise the insulin cartridge again. Ended up having to fill a second reservoir wasting another load of insulin.

Just sent an e-mail to the DSNs at Addenbrookes asking them to call me on Monday to help me go back to MDI until I can get a different pump

zerospam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been offered the following:

Medtronic 640g (this is a new model that will be available next year)
Animas Vibe
Omnipod
Roche Insight

Looks like the standard list.

Can't find out much about the new 640g so based on the current Medtronic, it's between the Omnipod or Insight.

Thinking the Omnipod at the moment because it appears it doesn't need a strap or clip (Has yours fallen off yet kitty55?) but the Insight has the better remote.

As (I believe) CGM's are only funded in exceptional circumstances, a discreet pump with a remote is ideal for me.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been offered the following:

Medtronic 640g (this is a new model that will be available next year)
Animas Vibe
Omnipod
Roche Insight

... it's between the Omnipod or Insight...

As (I believe) CGM's are only funded in exceptional circumstances, a discreet pump with a remote is ideal for me.

Why not the Vibe? Because of the lack of a remote? If you self fund CGM sensors, around £50/month with sensor "stretching", the Vibe is a free (on the NHS) CGM receiver.

zerospam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why not the Vibe? Because of the lack of a remote? If you self fund CGM sensors, around £50/month with sensor "stretching", the Vibe is a free (on the NHS) CGM receiver.
It is the lack of remote.

I like the idea of leaving the pump where it is. Not keen on the idea of un clipping the pump to read the screen or enter carbs. The more I look at the Omnipod, the more I like it. A disposable 3 day pump you don't have to touch and don't need to clip to a strap or disconect when swimming or washing. The lack of tubing is a big bonus to me also.

CGM is becoming more afordable (haven't looked into for a while) but £50pm still a bit much for me.

The Omnipod would be a personal choice but may change my mind between now and April 2015!!!!