Animas Vibe, Medtronic or Accuchek Combo?

Fryertown2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dani

I'm on the accu chek combo and have been for over 2 years. I don't know much about the other pumps as this was the one recommended to me so went with that. I'll send you a Private Message tonight with my thoughts as I won't have time during the day.

X

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dani

I'm on the accu chek combo and have been for over 2 years. I don't know much about the other pumps as this was the one recommended to me so went with that. I'll send you a Private Message tonight with my thoughts as I won't have time during the day.

X
Hey, come on, don't be shy. Share your thoughts with everyone. :)

Seriously lots of us are interested in feedback about different pumps, as mostly each of us just has one pump.

Fryertown2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey.... No problem I can put it on here, it's just I don't anything about other pumps so can't compare as such. Sorry for delay! I went on the accu chek one as I went on it to control my sugars enough to have a baby and this is the one my nurse recommended to me. And since I've had a baby boy! There's a wide selection of cannulas but I'm on the rapid d which is easy to put in, and from feedback on this forum there's lots of places you can put it. I've always stuck with back & stomach but at least I know the options are out there.

I put it in my bra as I find this the easiest place to 'hide' it! I do lots of presentations & workshops with my job so need to feel comfortable and confident. And that's where the remote control comes in really handy! As it's easy to check sugars, pump settings and deliver insulin. It's not 'fancy' but at the same time I think it does the job it needs to do. I've had a couple of replacement handsets but then the amount you actually use it I think you should expect that! If you change the batteries every month before the warming comes up I find that helps too.

Also not having the get the pump out every time I need to do something comes in really handy with a baby!

The drawbacks... I don't think the data you download is very user friendly & you can't change it to get it into a format you want. You can get what you need it just takes a bit longer then I would have hoped.

I've had a couple of problems with bubbles recently but I think you'll get that with any pump. And there's loads of advice on here about things to try to stop them.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me any other questions and of course it would be good to know which one you go for and how you find it.

X

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remotes are awesome. I wish I had one. I chose my Vibe because of CGM integration, otherwise I would definitely picked a pump with a remote.

Can anyone do a comparison of the features and functions of the Medtronic remote vs the Accuchek remote? I think at least one of them doesn't let you use the bolus calculator?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wait for the new Accuchek pump literally months away!! The remote on that looks awesome!!

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol I don't as so many pumpers complain it doesn't work and needs replacing.

I've had the combo for close to four years, been through two remotes, far too many "electronic error remove batteries and replace in 20 seconds" which is annoying when you' have got blood dripping from your finger and are mid test.

Unless you have a brand new set of batteries in the Bluetooth is flaky at best and takes ages to connect, it's often easier and quicker for me to get the pump out of my pocket and manually enter.

I do like the 315 U cartridge size, so I won't be moving to the insight. With it's 160 unit size. I know the vibe is only 200U but I use around 50 units a day, so can live with that. I also want to self fund the G4 sensors so will be moving onto the vibe in 2015.

EchoIsGreat

Getting back to the pump choice, I would be asking for the new Accu-Chek Insight pump. They are available now through your clinic or DSN. It will replace the Combo and is the latest pump. I'm coming off a Medtronic pump in January and hope to get the Insight.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting back to the pump choice, I would be asking for the new Accu-Chek Insight pump. They are available now through your clinic or DSN. It will replace the Combo and is the latest pump. I'm coming off a Medtronic pump in January and hope to get the Insight.

I have had a play with one, don't see at as an improvement on the current combo to be honest. The new remote already seems dated and clunky, the touch screen technology is poor. Also it has tiny pre filled 160 unit cartridges.

It is still a great pump though when comparing to the alternatives, if the abbot freestyle libre works well for me when I manage to get my hands on one, I may consider using that with the insight instead of the vibe and G4.

The insight is a nice size and it looks better than the original combo, but I think I'll pass come upgrade time, as I really want CGM capability for basal testing every few minutes. I also believe a CGM will allow me to reduce my standard deviation. The remote on the combo can be handy, but not as handy for me as a CGM compatibility.

If CGM is not important to the OP and a remote is, then the insight is probably the one to go for I think, as long as they don't have massive daily total doses.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The E57 errors just mean that you've put blood on the test strip too soon... Its only a case of turning off.. Not pumps fault that you didn't wait for the 'apply sample' info when testing.

As for cartridge size. I get mine tomorrow and think that although I'm a bit miffed off with smaller size, it is now only a case of dropping in a new cartridge.. No faffing around with loading cartridges. So what difference is it going to make when we have to do sets anyway?

The best thing about accucheck is the smaller increments for basals.. (The best from all pumps), the best ability for programming times for basals-will be every15 mins and the best remote control.

I dislike thought of cartridge smaller and possibly shorter length tubes from the 100cm I have. However, I know Accuchek have the best customer service, and the best fine detail with their basals, bolus's and remotes so I am able to think beyond increased cartridge changing.

Reactions: 3 people

EchoIsGreat

I have had a play with one, don't see at as an improvement on the current combo to be honest. The new remote already seems dated and clunky, the touch screen technology is poor. Also it has tiny pre filled 160 unit cartridges.

It is still a great pump though when comparing to the alternatives, if the abbot freestyle libre works well for me when I manage to get my hands on one, I may consider using that with the insight instead of the vibe and G4.

The insight is a nice size and it looks better than the original combo, but I think I'll pass come upgrade time, as I really want CGM capability for basal testing every few minutes. I also believe a CGM will allow me to reduce my standard deviation. The remote on the combo can be handy, but not as handy for me as a CGM compatibility.

If CGM is not important to the OP and a remote is, then the insight is probably the one to go for I think, as long as they don't have massive daily total doses.
Thanks for your insight (sorry for the pun). I would like to leave a pump in my pocket by having a good remote. Sounds like they haven't got that one right. The main selling point I thought would be the use of cartridge refills. How did you find them, or did you have to refill them?

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The E57 errors just mean that you've put blood on the test strip too soon... Its only a case of turning off.. Not pumps fault that you didn't wait for the 'apply sample' info when testing.

As for cartridge size. I get mine tomorrow and think that although I'm a bit miffed off with smaller size, it is now only a case of dropping in a new cartridge.. No faffing around with loading cartridges. So what difference is it going to make when we have to do sets anyway?

The best thing about accucheck is the smaller increments for basals.. (The best from all pumps), the best ability for programming times for basals-will be every15 mins and the best remote control.

I dislike thought of cartridge smaller and possibly shorter length tubes from the 100cm I have. However, I know Accuchek have the best customer service, and the best fine detail with their basals, bolus's and remotes so I am able to think beyond increased cartridge changing.

It wasn't an E57 error, it was a differing fault that happened when brining the remote out of sleep not attempting a blood test, it was well documented at Burgess Hill which is why they were happy to replace the meter.

It often wouldn't turn back on and you had to remove batteries, reinsert them and then hold down the power key for 10 seconds, then reset time etc. Although I have been caught out applying samples too early as well ha, but as you say that's my fault not the remote.

I do agree the team at Burgess Hill are top notch, never had an issue with customer service and they would be a hard act to beat.

I like the larger cartridges and that I can get a week out of a reservoir and only having to do tubing once a week I'm a bit of a green freak and it seems wasteful to be changing tubing and cartridges over more, I already feel guilty about the amount of packaging and **** that I generate as a Type 1 ha.

I don't see the prefilled cartridges as a selling point to be honest, I never had issues with air bubbles and it took me two minutes to do a change over without pre filled cartridges. Just seems like a way for Roche to make some more money! For those who struggled with filling of cartridges I imagine the prefilled will be great. :)

The fully functional remote on the combo is good though, best remote of any pump. Just make sure you keep the batteries fresh and use lithium ones. I used it loads at first, then just found my self using the pump more and more as it was quicker. Again this is a personal thing.

I don't mean to suggest the insight is a poor pump it's not, neither is the combo, I think they are the best pumps out there, probably better than the vibe, but they aren't the best for me as I don't want to shell out for a separate CGM receiver and the vibe does everything I need it's also waterproof (Shame about the 200U cartridge).

I was just a little underwhelmed with the insight, I think the insight has been 6 years in development and had heard great things about it and It just seemed like a prettier smaller combo to me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well, get mine tomorrow!!

Actually I think its an E56 error for applying blood too early, but it says electronic error.

Kristian at accuchek has been superb with me. As have their whole pump team.

I don't think that you have to change tubes at each set change. So that will be same.

I'm pretty lax at timing of rapid d set changes so if a flexilink can get to 4 days, then I would be quite happy at changing everything every 4th day.

I shouldn't really say this, but hey ho.... My rapid d's if they are good at 2 days and I can't be bothered to change I have left 3 days and slightly longer.......

However, the flexilink plus's I did have horrendous probs with prior to their total withdrawal and barely got 30 hours wear without probs... So these I am going to treat with caution till they put the rapid d's with the Insight.

Still tomorrow is hopefully day of getting Insight for me, so I also wish you the best on getting a better pump for you.. We are all individual. I know @iHs changed from her combo pump but not sure why or if she prefers her new choice. I think she also did because of cgm capability.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I didn't mean to rain on your parade I know how exciting it is getting a new bit of diabetes kit :)

Just read my posts back and they sound really negative, wasn't my intention.

It is a really nice pump, I'm a techie so went in with high expectations, e.g. buttery smooth iphoneesque touch screen and well designed interface, cgm receiver and so on. I need to realise that diabetic tech is never going to be truly cutting edge or feel modern, as they take so many years to get approved, by the time you have them in your hand it is usually a 7 year old design and interface.

I'm the reverse of you with infusion sets 48 hours max out of rapid D, 5 days no bother out of the flexlink (the shame).

I'm still interested in the insight, so please do a review and a comparison to the combo if you can.

Good luck with it.

All the best,

B

iHs

lol I like the Vibe. Basal rate adjusting is much easier just having 12 time slots instead of 24. Of course cgm is where its at and will have a go
with the G4 soon

Good luck tomoz DD.........no doubt there will be loads of msgs from you all about the Insight. I'm emigrating lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Buckley.

My probs were with the faulty flexilink plus's.. Which eventually were withdrawn. Due to no fat.. Flexlinks and the inserter were ughh and occlusions... Endless!!
So the relaunch of the flexilink plus's better be better, cos if anyone's going to be picky and testing its me!!!
I do hope to be able to get to 4 days (unofficially!) then will be great to just swop everything every 4 days instead of sets inbetween etc...

iHs... You know me too well!!! I am less bithered nowadays.. But a new gadget will get those testing cells in my brain in overdrive again... Possibly.
However, as it is basically the same pump then I'm not planning too much excess with it...(lol!).
Christmas will be a great time though to review it!!!
As will the cold, out gardening! Still crazy busy!! Unbelievable, I've normally started to hibernate by now! Still digging in standard rose trees and literally 1000's if bulbs in gardens!! Got OH turning over 50' in own garden under the orchard trees to put in bulbs too. Even got boxing day planned for gardening!! And the weekend directly after....

Will let folks know how Insight and the flexi links work out....

iHs

You need to put on some weight DD. Size 8 is too thin for yr height. Be a size 12 and then you'll be ok with the Flexlinks. You need some 'meat'

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Up to almost a 10 now!! Size 8 was after starting to eat more fat!! Got the balance right now.... Allowing myself to put a couple lbs on from the extra carbs over xmas!! Hubby said today he loves my pannetone bread n butter pud... So haven't made for a long while... So having that instead of xmas pud!! Loads of carbs n extra body fat!!!

More aware than ever of tring to keep enough weight on due to helping friend in eating disorder unit.. Can't lecture her when I'm not good myself!!

Thanks for ur words of wisdom.. Always appreciated!! X

Type1Jim

Hi Buckley8219

I also tried the Insight recently and thought there were many great improvements on the Combo.

FYI - roche won't make any money on the Prefilled insulin as this is supplied by the insulin company and not roche. The Insight also is just as waterproof (ipx8) as the Animas pump, Roche just don't advertise the fact.

Being able to do multiple extended bolus doses and preset temp basal rates are also great features I found.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Buckley8219

I also tried the Insight recently and thought there were many great improvements on the Combo.

FYI - roche won't make any money on the Prefilled insulin as this is supplied by the insulin company and not roche. The Insight also is just as waterproof (ipx8) as the Animas pump, Roche just don't advertise the fact.

Being able to do multiple extended bolus doses and preset temp basal rates are also great features I found.

Please tell us more, what do you mean by multiple extended bolus doses, you can have two differing boluses running at the same time? Oh does the preset temp basal differ from the current bolus?

Cheers,

C