I'm going from Type 1 to Type 2.. bit of a suprise after 2yrs

simonkit

2 yrs ago I was rushed into hospital with all the classic symptoms.. thirst, weight loss etc to be diagnosed as Type 1 and I've been on insulin ever since.

I've always had good control except during exercise when I've had to take silly amounts of carb to keep my levels up so after discussion recently with the diabetes team I stopped taking background insulin completely.. my levels stayed as before. They organised some blood test to be sure and the results are in...

Seems I'm type 2 not type 1.. be stopping injections and going onto tablets once a day.. that's a bit of a shock I can tell you!!

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, wow, I bet that was a huge shock, in your eyes is that a good or a bad.thing ? It's very strange how diabetes can be so mixed up nowadays :wacky:
Hopefully someone will be along with some input regarding your change of diagnosis.

Best wishes
RRB

simonkit

Must admit I'm still slightly in shock.. I see it as positive though as I won't miss having 5 injections every day although managing it I'm not 100% sure about as I live a quite healthy life style, balanced diet etc, exercise regularly (mountain hiking) and I'm not overweight, infact ever so slightly under. I guess the Metamorfin should do the trick..

be nice not to need 4/5 bags of jelly babies on a days hike too just to keep glucose levels up - which is the reason the new blood tests came about, I thought I might be going on an insulin pump instead

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Its much more common than you would think. I was diagnosed LADA. Type 1.5. Then after 6 months was told it was type 2. Id had the peptide test and everything. V strange

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its much more common than you would think. I was diagnosed LADA. Type 1.5. Then after 6 months was told it was type 2. Id had the peptide test and everything. V strange

Your signature still says 1.5.

Of course I'm a prize pedant!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Must admit I'm still slightly in shock.. I see it as positive though as I won't miss having 5 injections every day although managing it I'm not 100% sure about as I live a quite healthy life style, balanced diet etc, exercise regularly (mountain hiking) and I'm not overweight, infact ever so slightly under. I guess the Metamorfin should do the trick..

be nice not to need 4/5 bags of jelly babies on a days hike too just to keep glucose levels up - which is the reason the new blood tests came about, I thought I might be going on an insulin pump instead

"I guess Metformin should do the trick". Sadly, it will help very little. It reduces insulin resistance, the production of glucose in the liver, and appetite, but all to a limited extent. With Type 2, diet is the key, so you will need to really watch those carbs and use your meter before and after meals to keep an eye on unacceptable spikes. Good luck, and in my opinion a much better option than all that injecting.

alliebee

Meet another pedant. It also still says you are on insulin!
Yes I was. Happily I was able to come off insulin after I lost the first 2 stone....then stupidly stuck my head in the sand....finally I came back to this fantastic forum and found lchf. Lost another two stone and finally it all came together for me. I wish id known about the high fat part of low carbing. And now bgs are great. :)

alliebee

Maybe its just the app? But should be able to update my profile somehow
Come on you techie guys. Lol

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Click on your name on the top right of the screen. When the drop down appears, directly under your name there's a link to Profile Page, then Information.

You can log into the web page from your tablet browser.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 yrs ago I was rushed into hospital with all the classic symptoms.. thirst, weight loss etc to be diagnosed as Type 1 and I've been on insulin ever since.

I've always had good control except during exercise when I've had to take silly amounts of carb to keep my levels up so after discussion recently with the diabetes team I stopped taking background insulin completely.. my levels stayed as before. They organised some blood test to be sure and the results are in...

Seems I'm type 2 not type 1.. be stopping injections and going onto tablets once a day.. that's a bit of a shock I can tell you!!

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Thanks
you know how you use to bolus for that big slice of chocolate cake and then give yourself another whack for an extra piece?

that isn't you from now on..welcome to the world of low carb :)

simonkit

Yes, life's changing again after 2 yrs spent getting my head around being insulin dependant. It's good to know that I'm not and that, if all goes to plan at least, a tweak to my diet should be enough rather than 5 jabs a day.. it is like starting all over again though. Certainly be nice to walk up a mountain without 5 bags of Jelly babies in the rucksac !!

One of the other complications now is trying to convince all the insurance companies etc. that I'm no longer type 1 and get my full driving licence back

alliebee

Click on your name on the top right of the screen. When the drop down appears, directly under your name there's a link to Profile Page, then Information.

You can log into the web page from your tablet browser.
Thankyou but on the app it doesn't appear like that. Name is on the left and drop down doesn't show anything for profile change

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou but on the app it doesn't appear like that. Name is on the left and drop down doesn't show anything for profile change

I don't use the app on my iPad, I just open a tab in my iPad browser. (I'm not a fan of the app.)

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what @AndBreathe said..open your browser, safari or whatever is loaded, google diabetes uk, find dcuk and log in to forum through the browser and it looks and works like a laptop

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed as prediabetic then T2 about 5 years ago, now RH, can probably understand it from GPs view. All of them didn't have a clue!
Diabetes has so many variations and we are all totally different and unique that it doesn't surprise me that there is plenty of misdiagnosis!