Question for ladies!

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious, I've noticed for afew days leading up to the time of the month my sugars tend to run abit higher than I'd like. Not drastically higher they just don't return as low as id like, even with correction doses. Do other ladies have this issue and what do you do about it??

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
:)
I used to eat chocolate in industrial quantities.

Now I'm low carbing, the blood glucose is much more stable, and I don't really have the problem any more.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m type 2 and notice they get higher

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every month I end up in hospital or really I'll because of periods it's horrible they just don't go down x

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every month I end up in hospital or really I'll because of periods it's horrible they just don't go down x

Oh my gosh! How aweful for you!! :-(
It's frustrating when your fighting cravings to stop them going high, but they end up high anyway!

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate my diabetes all together I've had for 3 years I'm only 20 I do good then I hit a wall all the time do u get support off ur family xxx

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I get no support from anyone other than my nurse at the hosp. I've been diabetic 15 years but only started to take it seriously last year or so since I had my little girl. I diary absolutely everything to try and fine tune it. That's why only past few months I've realised it stays abit high for afew days before lady time lol. it's hard work isn't it! Have you considered a pump if your having problems with highs and being so I'll each month??

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww bless how old r u and don't get me started on insulin pump I went on a DAFNE course at the beginning of the year all for the insulin pump and I didn't end up getting one I recently asked again and they sed no I would have to prove myself before even considering it so I did I tryied my best for 2 month my h1bac didn't go down I was trying for a baby and everything but I cant until it's sorted it wrecks my life I even asked for a pancreas transplant but there is a high risk of death so there is nothin I can do really just try my best but like I sed I try an try and try and this wall always puts me back down xxxx

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 26. I went on the DAFNE course a year ago too. That makes no sense as I keep hearing the pump is for people that, no matter how hard they try, can't get their A1c down. I think it's if they can't get it below 8.5. What a1c's do you tend to get?? I've actually been put forward for a pump assessment as I get massive anxiety about dying lol but I don't think they'll let me have one as I don't for the criteria.

I also randomly heard about pancreas tranplants last year. It made no sense to me that every diabetic doesn't have one but The more I read about it the more i saw that they can fail a lot and the body can reject it.

Just saw you wanted to have a baby too. I didn't even know how to take care of my blood sugars when I got pregnant. You're considered "high risk" and they saw me once a week. The care was amazing and they really help u. But i tested every single hour (other than night) for the whole 9 months. Hardest 9 months of my life!!

Have you tried to keep a diary and figure out patterns of why it goes high? Or does it just go high for no real reason? X

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you type 1 and my a1c is 93.4 and hasn't went down at all no matter how hard I try it gets me really upset and angry about it I do get support but not much it's cause people don't understand an will never understand until they have it that's how I see it xx

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'm type 1. It's true no one understands as they don't get that any tiny thing can affect it so much. Not to mention the physical and emotional impact it has on us from day to day. From what I hear about the pump it really sounds like it would be helpful to you. It such a shame they won't let you have one. It's our health and lives, I believe we should be able to choose the tools which we think may help us the most in the long run!

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that is so true I won't give up until I get one my partner offered to buy a pump but it cost 120 a week for the supply's it's ridiculous I alway think negitive about it cause I dont want to get my hopes up and another thing there is not enough awareness out there about type 1 it's all about type 2 xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Coralkay - yes this is pretty typical of being a woman, unless you are on the pill then the hormones will send your levels crazy each month. I get it every month and it really is a struggle, only other type 1 women can appreciate how hard it is, I have been struggling recently in general with keeping my BG down so am now on Metformin and getting some good support from my DSN, so this month for the first time am going to increase my basal by 20% and combined with the metformin to reduce my insulin resistance, am hoping to get it under control - it takes over my life for 1 week each month !!! My DSN has discussed a pump with me as may be thinking of having another child too, not too optimistic though. Don't let it get you down just drop a post here and get it off your chest, your not alone ;)

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me and my partner have researched so much information on insulin pumps and other information related to diabetes I am at the hospital next week to see my diabetic nurse and my partner is going to have a word because he is very angry with the way they go on with me they don't how me reasons for anything just yes or no they don't explain them selfs to us it frustrates me so much he sees how angry and upset I get about it all so hopefully I get something sorted xxxx

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Try not to get frustrated as this is negative emotion and will only wind you up further and potentially raise your BG, try upping your basal around the time you are due on by about 20%, if you keep a diary and your periods are regular then you should be able to nail this, then reduce once your period stops again, obviously consult with your DSN about doing this, but try to self manage it yourself. The docs and nurses are like text books, we live and have to deal with this ourselves so if you can take ownership and manage it yourself it will boost your self esteem and give you more confidence x

Reactions: 2 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with this I started seeing my nurse once a month about a year ago and we went over my diaries in great detail. I still see her once a month but now I go in with my own opinions of what needs doing and I feel way more in control. I just like the peace of mine I get from discussing it with her.

is basal the long acting insulin? My issue with raising my long acting 20% is that it comes down around 2-3mmol Overnight on my current dose (even on the time of the month). If I up this I don't like the idea of having to go to bed with higher levels??

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Charisma,

Yes basal is your long acting insulin, how do you measure what your insulin is doing overnight ? Are you suffering high levels around your period too ? From what you've said it sounds like your quick acting is still working at night - if your background dose is right then your readings should match last thing at night (providing your QA has depleted) and same reading again in the morning. Also not sure what you mean about going to be bed with higher levels if you up this ?

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I always make sure I have dinner atleast 4 hours before bed so there's no quick acting in my system. It's my long acting that brings me down around 2-3 mmols over night. I've queried this with my nurse and she says you'll never get it perfect and they prefer patients not to go to bed with readings below 8 as more chance of night hypos. Therefor if I up my long acting around the time of my period it will send me low in the night.

although I may have to test this next month as my sugars aren't budging at all at the moment and it will really mess up my a1c having high sugars for afew days each month and I'm trying so hard to bring it down!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What type of background are you on ? I switched from Lantus to Levemir, Levemir is more stable and I take a split dose, so it may be your insulin ? and also splitting your dose too ?

I've just had my worst HbA1c ever, I couldn't get my BG down to single figures for over 2 months, I have increased my background and now take Metformin and am so much more stable now, just tested now and i'm at 8.0 which a month or so ago was unheard of, compound this with a period and I was completely out of control.

Exercise can also help too, do you get much ?