Yoga

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've done a fair bit of Bikram Yoga. I found it has a similar effect on my BG as moderate exercise. Other than this, it's useful for keeping you flexible, but i can't say that it has made any difference long term to my condition.

Reactions: 2 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do yoga at least once a week and find it helps massively - I think because often when I have high blood sugars it is stress driven, and I find spending an hour doing yoga really helps to calm me, which helps in bringing BG levels down. I tested before and after my yoga class last week, and reduced from 8.6 to 5.7. Obviously any exercise can help with keeping BG levels down, so I think the important thing is to find something you enjoy.

Reactions: 6 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go to a 90 min class once per week but also do 30 mins at home on at least 4 other days. It's the relaxation and stretching that I have found beneficial - the relaxation, breathing and concentration alleviate the stress that can cause high blood sugar spikes and the stretching aids flexibility, mobility and balance - all important for diabetes - and increases the feel-good factor of a LCHF diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried Yoga in my youth. & only succeeded in winding the teacher up.. Lol the guy actually threatened to "punch me out"..
I used to be an "angry young man" hopped up & irritated by high BS. I find a focus on music helps me imensly these days.. Mainly metal & punk.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I tried Yoga in my youth. & only succeeded in winding the teacher up.. Lol the guy actually threatened to "punch me out"..
I used to be an "angry young man" hopped up & irritated by high BS. I find a focus on music helps me imensly these days.. Mainly metal & punk.

Sheesh ... now THAT is different. We're all unique and I love my music too, but that would wind me up no end :) Too funny :)

Now have to decide between some Mozart or some Metallica for tonite.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's hardly in keeping with the philosophy, ahimsa and all that:facepalm:

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else do yoga here, How beneficial is it for diabetics?
I started doing it years ago, pre diagnosis mainly for the flexibility improvements. I'm a runner adn cyclist and also spend time sitting in cars, planes, trains etc all of which tend to lead to tight hamstrings and then other issues.

In terms of diabetes, if I'm far enough away from the last bolus then it tends to be BG neutral, i.e. no significnat change either way.

Benefits? I'd say they were pretty much the same as for anyone else.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's hardly in keeping with the philosophy, ahimsa and all that:facepalm:

True but I don't think yoga is just all about calmy calmy either. I've noticed that when you practise an asana or pose that is difficult for you - in my case, cobra and boat used to give me real grief - you do develop the strength for them gradually over time. Within reason, of course. Past injuries prevent me attempting some asanas, but I can work out my own versions and paths towards them. So strength as well as flexibility.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
True but I don't think yoga is just all about calmy calmy either. I've noticed that when you practise an asana or pose that is difficult for you - in my case, cobra and boat used to give me real grief - you do develop the strength for them gradually over time. Within reason, of course. Past injuries prevent me attempting some asanas, but I can work out my own versions and paths towards them. So strength as well as flexibility.

My yoga teacher would probably say soemthing along the lines of you having the wrong aim for the practice in that case. Like you, I'm a bit goal oriented, i.e. want to be able to do xyz asana or pose and get frustrated when I cant.

His view is of the practice as a prayer with the inward focus on the breath rather the outcome being the thing to aim for. I haven't got there yet either. :angelic:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
His view is of the practice as a prayer with the inward focus on the breath rather the outcome being the thing to aim for. I haven't got there yet either. :angelic:

I think that was the issue i had... Where as what i wanted was another noisy burn at the dance college i was attending at the time! :p

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else do yoga here, How beneficial is it for diabetics?

It's a fantastic place to meet lots of healthy bendy women in my experience.

Oh and it's also good for flexibility, it's exercise so can lower blood sugar. It's also fantastic for improving posture and recovery from other forms of exercise. I did it when I was running decent miles and cycling alot.

But if you're looking for exercise to help with diabetes and insulin sensitivity, compound weight exercises (heavy ones) and cardio (running, cycling) will sort you out quicker. True doing a load of smith machine squats and then giving a bolus into your leg a couple of hours later, sugar levels drop faster than a bad facelift.

All exercise if better than sitting on your behind though, so get involved if you think you'll like it.

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a yoga teacher and whilst we shouldn't be aiming for records... headstands are my fav... so what was your record Dave?:)

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done :)
I ask my students to leave their egos at the door, which seems to be harder for the guys ;)
I once "lost myself" for half an hour... if the alignment is correct it is easier than standing on your feet :)

However, I couldn't run the way you do, have never had the inclination to run anywhere! But admiration all round to those that do.