Glucose fixes for tiny BS lows

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What glucose/sugar snacks do people use when they want to raise their BS by a couple of mmol? I'm talking about situations when BS is stable and level, but just a bit low for what you're about to do. E.g. driving, I suppose. For me, when my BS is 4.5 and steady, which is fine, but I want to raise it to 6 or 6.5 for driving purposes. Or perhaps in the night.

I'm not talking about steeply falling BS and real hypos. I've never yet had one of those, thank goodness.

Lucy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I just use oat crackers Lucy if there's no IOB.

Reactions: 2 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nairns crackers are good. I also carry a bag of peanut m&ms and will have a couple of those for situations like you describe (they are around 1.5g carb each)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
half a 9-bar, a bit of a NAKD bar, an oatcake, a ginger nut, rice cake etc

Maybe half an apple

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How many grams of carb are those? 5-ish? 10-ish?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How many grams of carb are those? 5-ish? 10-ish?

Like @ElyDave I'd go for half a nine bar.... the peanut ones (no choc) are 10g per bar, so half a bar is 5g - and that's enough to give me a bit of a boost without being a sudden high. Half an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter is another goodie - also around 5g carbs, obviously depending on apple size ;-)

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LucySW . . .

I use Dextro Energy Minis (are these available in the UK?)

I find these excellent for both "real" Hypos, and for fine-tuning my blood-sugar level if I want to.

The tablets are small; each contains 1.3g CHO and will raise my level by 11mg/dl (0.6mmol/l).

I find them excellent for "real" hypos because they come in small boxes made of card, with a top that flips open very easily. Ideal for situations where your co-ordination is not good. If you drop the box, more often than not some tablets will spill out.

And because each tablet raises my level by a smallish amount, they are also good for fine-tuning. Each tablet comprises 2 distinct halves, so it's easy to bite one in half if I want to fine-tune by 6mg/dl (0.3mmol/l).

Some people hate the chalky taste. I'm also not keen on it, but for me this is a good thing . . . I tend not to eat them like sweets, so it's not tempting to eat too many when correcting my level. Therefore it's really different for me to having sweets or chocolate in the house.

Regards :)
Antony

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What is an IOB?

Lorna

As Robert says it stands for Insulin on Board, the American refer to it as BOB (Bolus on Board) but it all means the same thing.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right now i usually always have some small tootsie rolls in my pocket or bag. Each one is 5g of carbs, works fairly fast. I buy them in bulk for a couple dollars and they last the month :D