Flu shot?

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been contacted twice by my GP's office to come in for a flu shot. I know they say it is not possible to get sick after getting one, so why have I heard people do in fact, get ill afterwards? I wouldn't get it before Christmas because I didn't want any side affects. It seems with any medicine, if 1 in 100,000 people get side affects, it will be me! Advice?

Reactions: Ponchu

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think more than 1 on 100,000 get flu so I would risk the flu shot.

I was nailed at my last blood test.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had flu shots several times, and the pneumonia one. No reactions at all. Better than flu any day. Make an appointment for early January if Christmas worries you

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i had my flu jab in october and had no side effects or flu.
i didn,t even have a sore arm

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know they say it is not possible to get sick after getting one, so why have I heard people do in fact, get ill afterwards?
No one made any such claim - the flu vaccine does not cause the flu, But it's not that uncommon to get a mild fever and such, and it's not inconceivable that someone could get a cold at the same time (note that the flu vaccine does not work against the common cold).

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are not meant to get flu from the vaccine because it is a dead virus. However surely something could go wrong in the manufacturing process so that in fact it was a live vaccine? I think because your immune system is dealing with the vaccine you are often more prone to pick up other bugs. Please don't ask me where I read this, I'm suffering from one of those other bugs now and can't remember!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We are not meant to get flu from the vaccine because it is a dead virus. However surely something could go wrong in the manufacturing process so that in fact it was a live vaccine? <snip>

I would crawl under your bed because I hear there may be a meteorite shower soon and occasionally planes have engine failure and fall out of the sky and I've heard that vampires and werewolves are really real and a neighbour swears she saw a flying saucer and....

Then again I assume they test each batch before they release it so I would worry more about the rest of the population coughing on you than getting a live flu vaccine.

Then again....:eek:

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's advised that ppl with diabetes have the jab, it does not mean you will not get flu but if you do it will be more like a cold than full blown flu. Best to have it, better safe than sorry I say. I had my 1st jab ever this year cause of the T2 with no affects.

Reactions: 3 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
My first year of having the flu jab and although I had a sore arm this only lasted 2 days,I would rather have the jab as having had the flu every winter I would rather avoid it at all costs,and to be honest some people cough and sneeze and do not put there hand over there mouths.
Good luck with whatever choice you make.

image.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the kind answers.

Andy, why not?

I think I'm more horrified now that I used the word "affects" rather than "effects" - twice! :eek:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Two years I've had it, two years I've had terrible colds a couple of weeks later

Plus I've read an article that says they don't work and the Mercury in them drastically reduces your immune system for weeks and does all kinds of horrible things like increasing the risk of Alzheimer's 10 fold

I'm not medical and not giving advice, just explaining my reasons :)

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am saying 'never again too' . Every time I have had a flu jab I have had a virus afterwards. Except once, and that year I got the flu.

I'm not worried about the rest of the population coughing on me because I do my best to boost my immune system. I've just read Andy's post above, so that's saved me typing in those reasons too.

edit: I also read a report that said that vaccines are not always tested thoroughly enough and that some live ones do get through. I didn't mention that in my original post because I can't remember where it was now and I don't have time to look it up. I would rather trust my immune system without the vaccine than with it. There was no need for sarcasm @LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not picking on you @zand ..just a general risk assesment :)

Oh, had a quick Google for "live flu vaccine" and it didn't turn up any scare stories.
Apparently the kids "up the noise" version is live, but weakened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first year of having the flu jab and although I had a sore arm this only lasted 2 days,I would rather have the jab as having had the flu every winter I would rather avoid it at all costs,and to be honest some people cough and sneeze and do not put there hand over there mouths.
Good luck with whatever choice you make.

View attachment 9947
Loving the piccy. ☆

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two years I've had it, two years I've had terrible colds a couple of weeks later

Plus I've read an article that says they don't work and the Mercury in them drastically reduces your immune system for weeks and does all kinds of horrible things like increasing the risk of Alzheimer's 10 fold

I'm not medical and not giving advice, just explaining my reasons :)
But those colds may have been full blown flu without the jab & you may have got them without the jab anyway.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
But those colds may have been full blown flu without the jab & you may have got them without the jab anyway.

Well they were the only colds I had for those years, I have had flu once in 44 years, both the after the jab colds were identical, so in my opinion if it smells like a turd and looks like a turd.....it's a turd

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've had flu shots several times, and the pneumonia one. No reactions at all. Better than flu any day. Make an appointment for early January if Christmas worries you
It is advised to ask for the Pneumococcal jab too, it is a one off and lasts for life.