Whos having a day off lchf on the 25th?

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
My breakfast will be a normal breakfast, dinner won't be much different than a normal Sunday roast with the addition of pigs in blankets even though were having roast beef (will have 3 or 4 roastie dependant of size as normal & yorkie puds). I will have some xmas pud with cream and mince pies after, then it will be cheese and crackers for supper. This will all be washed down with red wine and gin & tonic but the drinking wont start until after 5pm as I have to drive my daughter to her boyfriends. And I will be testing as well

Well that is the plan anyway......................

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oooh. Pigs in blankets! Thanks for reminding me. The streaky bacon and chipolatas are all sitting in the fridge waiting :)

Reactions: 4 people

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Oooh. Pigs in blankets! Thanks for reminding me. The streaky bacon and chipolatas are all sitting in the fridge waiting :)

Mine were in the freezer, will have to check with the chef to ensure they make the transition from freezer to fridge

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
As I dont eat a lchf diet I will be enjoying the same xmas food as everyone else in my family just fewer of the starchy carbs thats all. And if I do decide to have a mince pie or two I'm sure it wont kill me as its not like its every day.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone :)

Reactions: 11 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to my mother's this year and will be cutting myself some slack on The Day. It's interesting though, that since going lchf I don't even fancy roast tatties that much anymore, even when they're on my plate. At one time I could have happily eaten a plate of potatoes! I'm going to have lots of lovely lamb and veg, and if there's any mash I might have some with lashings of butter. I'm also planning on having the dessert with loads of cream :) Back to normal on Boxing Day, I'll be having bacon and scrambled eggs for brekkie.

Merry Christmas all, see you on the other side :laugh:

Reactions: 9 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be following one Christmas tradition and have started with a stinker of a cold :(
Because of this I'm having to work really hard to keep my BS below 6 at the moment - I wasn't planning on having many carbs but I'll be restricting the ones in my veggies too I think and the 2 roasties I was going to treat myself to may be off the menu now

A

AnnieC

I will be having the full christmas dinner at my daughters nothing barred in veg department not even the roasties. But then I have a roast dinner most Sundays when we eat out and it would not be a proper roast dinner without the roasties
No pudding for me will be to full from the dinner and no wine as I don't drink
Boxing day I will do lunch and it will be more of a buffet type one...my favorite... with salami ham turkey assorted cheeses homemade mackeral pate with pitta bread cherry peppers stuffed with cream cheese artichoke hearts sun dried tomatoes olives pickles and salad followed by a strawberry tart and cream

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

Hoddington

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well apart from the champers, stuffed Turkey crown, rosé wine, duck fat roasties, honey roasted parsnips, fig stuffed sausages and thick double cream covered vintage Xmas pud, cheese & port no changes for me... :)

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been off the diet since last week working in Amsterdam so stuff that till the new year and ND diet starts :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm finding that I don't want to eat much of any of the things regarded as 'treats'. Not interested in mince pies etc - I will have a roast potato or two, and some parsnip, and possibly a spoonful of Christmas pudding to go with my double cream, otherwise I don't look at it as an excuse to 'have a day off'. But everyone enjoy what they do for the right reasons and have a good Christmas :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Not me - best that I can help it :wacky:

Have got tiny pieces of cheese wrapped in bacon .
Having small gammon joint with Yorkshire puds .
Veggies broccoli/peas/carrot will be poured into the puds too
and covered with bit of special gravy .
Pickles too plus teaspoon of homemade apple sauce .
(made with sweetner added in) instead of sugar .

Luckily am a small portion person - so don't need much on a plate .
If over eat - will feel ill - simply 'so' not worth it for myself .

Am coeliac - hence feeling rough if eat wrong things .

Hubby will be having the works though !

Reactions: 8 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday :) Flash..
Crimbo dinner update is my full vegetarian roast not as Low carb as normal dinners .. 2hr after 5.5 :confused:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Now i know i'm gonna get negative comments about this post but frankly i dont care.

On Christmas day i'm going to eat and drink what i want when i want.... i've been very strong willed since being diagnosed in july and made radical changes to my diet and fitness programmes which have resulted in some great results from my hba1c tests 3 stone in weight loss and all the good stuff that goes with it. So for one day im going to be a bad bad boy. Please do not see this as a slippery slope or an act of stupidity, i am a strong enough person mentally to be back on the waggon boxing day no problem at all. Im not going to test for 24hrs and will start back again with my fasting result on Boxing day. See you all on the other side Merry Christmas to one and all...... (dont expect to go too over the top but a day of not having to abstain is my wish)
Me too! Lots of wine and Yorkshire pudd, couple of roasties, Christmas pudd and quality street. Like you, I will be back on the wagon tomorrow! Enjoyed all the bad things but not feeling like I need them for another year again. Bs now 8.7 from 9.1. Back to normal for rest of year! Hopefully soon back to 5s. Figure that ok if I just restrict to once a year! Love Christmas pudd!

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I find when people haven't met, when they can't see each other's faces and expressions.
When limited to words alone? Usually typed on a phone...... Things can easily be misconstrued.
Happy Xmas the pair of you @Robbity @Enclave ;)
@Robbity @Enclave
Merry Christmas to you both! You are both fab whatever you eat! I have been bad to the core but will be a saint not a sinner tomorrow! Big hugs to you both and a very merry Christmas! Scandixxx

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
chef hat smiley.jpg Chrimbo dinner for me was all the following........................2 x roasted chicken breasts, 4 x roast Aunt Bessies potatoes, 2 x sausages, carrots and peas, broccoli, stuffing and gravy. followed during the rest of the afternoon and evening with 6 x Dairy Milk chocolates. No alcohol at all just tea with milk and no sugar. Now that for me at Christmas is really pretty good. I did however make enough for the same again tomorrow, just needs warming up.christmas dinner smiley.jpg

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had family round for Christmas lunch this lunchtime and then friends for drinks and games tonight.

My only concessions to being diabetic today, was remembering to take my medication this morning and tonight and going on one of my usual 5km walks this morning.

I allowed myself to have a day completely free of the dietary restrictions usually imposed by diabetes.

My thinking was that Christmas comes but once a year and indulging myself on this one special day would be unlikely to do any lasting damage.

So as the house has been full of people all day, I probably have spent most of it eating something or other. Probably the more correct verb would be nibbling as, while I have not stopped myself from sampling anything that took my fancy, including potatoes, crackers, pancakes and even deserts, my choice of helping size was not overly generous.

I did have some alcohol but no more than a couple of glasses of red wine.

At the end of the day, I tested before going to bed: 6,9 mmol; high for me on any other night but pleasingly low for Christmas Day.

So all's well that ends well.

I hope you have all enjoyed a great one!

Pavlos

Reactions: 8 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just braved getting the monitor out after eating all the stuff I shouldn't have today (see above). I wasn't going to test myself again until tomorrow night but I just couldn't resist. The result................7.2 which is only 0.8 more than this time last night. On top of that I have done no walking or exercise today (except opening the oven door to check the roasties), so all in all I'm quite a happy bunny. I reckon tomorrow morning will be around 6.4 which if it is will be back to normal.
smiley thumb.jpg

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity @Enclave
Merry Christmas to you both! You are both fab whatever you eat! I have been bad to the core but will be a saint not a sinner tomorrow! Big hugs to you both and a very merry Christmas! Scandixxx
Thank you Scandicihic .. I had a few heart breaking days .. Lost our cat Mollie that has been with us for 16 years .. Also our little boy cockerel who was with us for 7 years .. Both were rescues .. I also have a very old Saluki who we hope will be able to see the new year in with us .. So I may seem a little over sensitive at the moment .. I will not to post any more ..
Thanks and happy new year Scandi