LCHF

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
I'm a T1 of 7 years, planning to try a low carb eating plan, have seen a few threads where people have said their BG levels have steadied out and they've also felt healthier without being hungry!

I've read up a bit online about the Atkins diet and also Dr bersteins method, has anyone any other pointers that may help me?

I've never carb counted before and I'm on a set dose of insulin at meal times just now, I know I'll need to adjust my doses as I go, it'll pretty much be a trial and error basis as my DSN is fairly unsupportive in any aspect of my diabetes.

Thank you :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I've cut out bread, pasta, rice, root crops including spuds and most fruit. As well as cakes, sweets, puddings and biscuits of course. I'm aiming to follow the Low Carb Full Fat principle. I'm not overweight, or on any meds. My BG levels are stable, although I'd like them to be below the 7 mark more often. I feel very well and exercise freely.
Browse the forum threads like "what have you eaten today" to see what other people do, although bear in mind some are trying to lose weight as well, whereas I'm trying to maintain mine.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Kim, there are a few of us T1s who LCHF. I've found the need to reduce both basal and bolus amounts since starting. I would suggest that you try to learn about carb counting as it will help you with bolus reductions, but you'll also need to undertake other activities like basal testing as your diet changes. Take it slow, reducing your carb amount in small amounts and it will be easier.

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you both :) Do you both find benefits in doing a low carb diet?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've never carb counted before and I'm on a set dose of insulin at meal times just now, I know I'll need to adjust my doses as I go, it'll pretty much be a trial and error basis as my DSN is fairly unsupportive in any aspect of my diabetes.

Register with the following, it's an on-line version of the DAFNE course which by all accounts is very good:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

If your on fixed insulin doses you will need to reduce your dose if you go lower carb, so do be careful and monitor your bg levels carefully.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. One of the main benefits of a low carb diet when on insulin is to avoid any weight gain and reduce BS swings and hence reduce hypo risk. Yes, a DAFNE course should be a good way to understand food with insulin. It's sad your DSN isn't very supportive; mine has been great. It's fairly normal to start Basal/Bolus insulin users off with a carb-counting ratio of 1 unit bolus to 10gm carbs and make fine adjustments from there. You must use the meter to guide you and avoid hypos. See how that fits with your current fixed dose and the typical meal carbs you have; it should give you some idea what your current ratio is. Do discuss with the DSN if you have any queries/concerns.

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks all for the pointers :) I really appreciate it.

When on a low carb eating plan, what do you use to treat a hypo? I think I over compensate, just need to stop panicking

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

When on a low carb eating plan, what do you use to treat a hypo? I think I over compensate, just need to stop panicking

When you are hypo have your favourite hypo rescue substance. It has to be something quick acting like the usual glucose in tablet, gel or liquid form

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I normally use dextrose tabs or glucagel but I think I'll need to review how I treat a hypo as I feel that I over compensate because I've became unconscious from a hypo before, I panic if I'm low and on my own

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What some of us have found with lchf is that hypos are easier to manage as our brains have become more used to functioning with fats, and we therefore are still able to think clearly at lower levels.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

You treat the hypo in the same way as you would eating any other diet, so take fast acting glucose such as coke, lucozade or glucotabs. Careful monitoring post-hypo will determine how much glucose you need to bring your bg levels back to normal, we have all over compensated at some point.

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do any of you on a low carb diet take any vitamins or supplements?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thank you both :) Do you both find benefits in doing a low carb diet?
Hi Kim,
Have a read of the following:
www.dietdoctor.com
This is what I follow and I have improved bs - now in the non diabetic range from teens.
I have lost 4 stone in weight.
My skin is less dry.
My good cholestrol has improved and my trigs are 0.51
Feel much better too.
Bp down and am on minimum meds for bp and bs.
What can I say?:D:rolleyes:

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Kim,
Have a read of the following:
www.dietdoctor.com
This is what I follow and I have improved bs - now in the non diabetic range from teens.
I have lost 4 stone in weight.
My skin is less dry.
My good cholestrol has improved and my trigs are 0.51
Feel much better too.
Bp down and am on minimum meds for bp and bs.
What can I say?:D:rolleyes:

Fingers crossed I get similar results :) it's scary taking on something new when you're so set in your insulin regime but I'm looking forward to it

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do any of you on a low carb diet take any vitamins or supplements?
No. I eat "rainbow" veg and salads -- I include everything I can lay my hands on that hasn't spiked me so far and hope all the goodies are in there somewhere. Possibility of overdose of course but I reckon my body knows I'm trying so it'll sort it all out.
*edit* except I put milled chia seeds in with my whole-grain oats every other morning in the hope of balancing the sugar in the grains. Seems to work.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, I'm currently on vit d3, vit b12, magnesium glycinate, potassium, zinc & vit c, omega 3 oil (krill), and considering alpha-lipoic acid and kelp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nope! Don't need to. Starchy carbs contain no essential nutrients!

Yes I know that, it's just a lot of people doing low carb seem to also avoid fruit to keep BG levels stable. Hence why I asked about vitamins :)