The first ever conference for PWD!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
EXCITED!!!
Organised by PWD for PWD: the first ever 'Un-Conference' Conference! An opportunity to talk, share, listen and learn in a wholly supportive environment.
Venue: Medi-City, Nottingham
http://www.biocity.co.uk/events/med...ference-2015-pwdc15-living-well-with-diabetes
Date: 07 March 2015

Anyone with diabetes cordially invited. Friends and family welcome so long as they are with someone with diabetes. This is your/our conference and a world first
so let's make it count. Besides, who can give up the opportunity for a get together?! I can't wait to meet you all!
http://www.diabeteschoices.org.uk/2015/01/09/peoples-diabetes-conference-is-a-first/

The conference will have a different format to what you're perhaps used to - who wants to be lectured at after all?!. There will be experts at the conference, but you will drive the agenda as it will be an 'OpenSpace' conference. (For those of you used to using the brilliant diabetes.co.uk forum, you should enjoy this) This will provide you with the opportunity to raise and discuss the topics that matter most to you.

With a limited number of places, you can book your tickets now through www.gbdoc.co.uk

Diabetes conference poster2015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Can we race to the finish line?

Sounds great Ms 321, anything you guys do is great so it must be :)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sooo hope you can come along Mr12345! You have exactly the right sort of positive energy that will get the place rocking! ;) xxx

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
but I'm a dunce!

ohhhhh wait i see what your saying :)

you need someone to make refreshments!

ill try :)

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I'm trying to reorganise that saturday, if i can I'm in :)

assuming i can, if anyone needs a lift up there, ill be driving from surrey. you bring the doughnuts! :woot:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm trying to reorganise that saturday, if i can I'm in :)

assuming i can, if anyone needs a lift up there, ill be driving from surrey. you bring the doughnuts! :woot:

Awesome!
We're going to be booking in to the Premier Inn in the centre of Nottingham! Bring your joggers 'cos we're doing the Beeston Parkrun on the saturday morning (just 'round the corner). We're going for a bit of a 'social' after the conference too - open to anyone and everyone. A chance to unwind and have a laugh. Looking forward to buying you a beer (or two!) ;):joyful::joyful::joyful:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Beeeeeeeeeeeebbbbbbbbbbooooooooo you're back :) Hello :)
Lol!!!! Zzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaannnnnnndddddd!!! Hi hon! How've you been? :)Sorry I've been sooooooo useless recently!:( Great to be back though!!:joyful:xxxx

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Any further conference details? Some sort of agenda or idea of how it works would be really helpful (as I need to get the other half to agree to the weekend away!).

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Any further conference details? Some sort of agenda or idea of how it works would be really helpful (as I need to get the other half to agree to the weekend away!).

Sure - a better idea of the format is on the gbdoc website (www.gbdoc.co.uk). We are following an OpenSpace format which means that you get to raise and discuss the issues that matter most to you. Here's an excerpt on how it works:

OpenSpace is a simple way of self-organizing a conference. It relies on participation by people who have a passion for the topics to be discussed. There is no preplanned list of topics, only time slots and a specific meeting areas where interested participants propose topics and pick time slots.

OpenSpace has been used for conferences and as a facilitation technique for meetings, community organizations, and other groups that wish to explore the ideas and agendas of the delegates, in this case us, the people WITH diabetes. We are our own experts on OUR diabetes.

Prepare to be surprised by the depth and breadth of topics that come up!

It will be a unique experience. Is it for you? If you say yes to either of these questions then it IS for you:

1. •Can I contribute anything of value?

2. •Do I have any questions about living with diabetes?
It doesn't matter if you contribute a little or a lot. And you'll probably be surprised that you may know something that others may not. Everyone has something to give, whether they know it or not -- even if it's the "beginner's mind" that asks the right questions.

One of the greatest things about our “Un-Conference” is that it's spontaneous. It's not about traditional "eyes-forward" presentations. This isn’t a conference where you’ll be lectured at. Experts will be at the conference and will share and contribute, just not in the usual way.

Perhaps you are familiar with some technology that others might like to learn about, we might end up asking you to show us. But not in a formal way. So all you really need to bring is your brain.

If that's not enough there is always the lure of playing BGBingo! There will be some great prizes including a DexcomG4 Platinum starter kit. What's not to love!:):)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh dear. BG Bingo just sounds like trouble ;) . What's the catering like at the venue? Plenty of low carb options?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lol! BG Bingo is a bit of a riot!
Yes of course there will be low carb options available for those not as fond as doughnuts as @Andy12345. Importantly everything on offer will have a carb count! :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lol! BG Bingo is a bit of a riot!
Yes of course there will be low carb options available for those not as fond as doughnuts as @Andy12345. Importantly everything on offer will have a carb count! :)
Nice. The consumers guide to how much to bolus!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Introducing the SwapShop table! Yes, if you remember those heady days of Keith Chegwin every Saturday morning, be warned it could be a trip down memory lane, as we're asking all those attending the conference to bring along unwanted and unused non-prescription paraphernalia to the SwapShop table where you may choose and take away something that you need yourself!:happy:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For anyone needing accommodation in Nottingham, the Jury's Inn is offering discounts for the conference:):
BIOCIT070315 delegates can call and speak with Leah on 0115 9016704 or email [email protected]

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where can I find more details!! Looks like a brilliant chance to meet up with others from the diabetes online community Go #gbdoc !!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Where can I find more details!! Looks like a brilliant chance to meet up with others from the diabetes online community Go #gbdoc !!

Hi @Lord of the Sugar,
You can find more details of the event on the #gbdoc website at: http://www.gbdoc.co.uk/gbdoc/Conference_2015.html and book your ticket at:
http://www.gbdoc.co.uk/gbdoc/Book_Here.html
You're right that it will be a great opportunity to get together with others to share and discuss issues that matter most to us - the people living with diabetes. There will be an opportunity to come along for an informal 'social' afterwards too. Why not come along!:D

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Put your lippy on, there are going to be cameras!:bag:
Conference sponsor TeamBG is bringing a media partner along to film and interview people at the conference and record what the hot topics are.