Worst place....

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
No.
Yes.
No. ( It was obvious from the look on his face that his " Nutter" detector was going off big time, and he was blaming beer goggles for arranging to meet me :D )

No big loss, if someone is that judgemental at the outset, I can't be ars*d to educate them :D

Signy
Quite right too! I think the reason I fell for my husband was because I took a deep breath and told him on our first date and he seemed genuinely interested! Clueless, yes, but interested ;-) he's now a hypo treating pro! Now I just need to find another job prospect (how can they not retract the job offer now?!) and all will be well in my little world

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about phoning them and explaining what happened ? I'm sure they would be more understanding and accepting of a valid medical reason for you not being yourself than all of the other reasons that may spring to mind !

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think either, hypos do tend to distort our perception of events :confused:

The very best of luck with it :)

Signy

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Top of the down escalator at Marylebone Station.

I should have turned back when I couldn't work out which card to use to get through the ticket barrier, Travelcard? way too obvious, I was trying everything I'd got, shop loyalty cards, bank card,'I am a diabetic' card. I stood at the top of the escalator and the world was swimming in front of me, luckily I didn't launch myself down the escalator as I'm sure it would have been head first. The London Underground bloke got me out of there somehow as I was starting to cause a human traffic jam and the next I can remember I was sitting on the concourse with orange juice thanks to a kind stranger. I dread to think what utter rubbish I said , that hypo memory void is scary.

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
My worst Hypo was in Morrison's supermarket .
With the security guy following me about down the sweets aisle .
I was ripping open a bag of jelly babies and downing them as fast
as I could do .
Then turned slurring to him - wet through with sweat and lolling my head around .
Must have looked well weird and strange behaving to him .

He kept gawping away at me and couldn't understand my words either .
Once my ,levels rose back up and stopped slurring my words and shaking plus
lolling head around .
I was able to let him know why I had been behaving oddly previously
He was lovely and is always there even now - still looks out for me yet .
Makes sure am always okay kind of thing :)
Comes down and offers me a mint to eat whilst shopping - bless him .

But at the hypo time - he was wondering what on earth I was doing with the bag
of jelly babies !
Ripping bag open and munching on them as fast as I possibly could .
Then throwing bag - back onto the shelf , shaking,slurring mumbling away to him .
Didn't realise I may have looked like I was possibly attempting nicking them :eek::oops:

It was after this - I got my Diabetic tattoo done ! :happy:

Reactions: 10 people

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for all the stories, nice to know I'm not the only one! Safety in numbers ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a hypo in the middle of primary one Christmas doing my shopping then black out they dragged me to the side of the shop and I was that hot I started stripping I didn't have a clue what I was doing it was so embarrassing

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I had a hypo in the middle of primary one Christmas doing my shopping then black out they dragged me to the side of the shop and I was that hot I started stripping I didn't have a clue what I was doing it was so embarrassing
Oh Lordy!! Were you on your own? Years ago I fell over in Boots and ended up surrounded by lots of helpful people, all convinced I'd bumped my head as I was being so vacant!

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I was by my self but they sorted me out it was very scary tho but funny at the same time xx

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I don't know how I am today my head is all over the place xxx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a first date:oops:
I rolled up staggering like Patsy of Ab Fab fame, slurring my words, then headed into a corner shop and turned into Wolf Woman trying to scoff my way out of the hypo :eek:

Signy

Fair play.. I'd have given you a second chance... Lol ;)

I walked out on someone I dated for a little while many years ago to treat a hypo.. Never went back. Hypos are private affairs when they happen for me.!

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stoke Mandeville - is Medtronic the paradigm veo one? I like the idea of the insulin suspend pump option but will continue to do research..
That's the one. Yes... Do loads of research. See what people on the pump forum think of the latest version. My dsn wasn't that bothered about my changing from the veo to another pump because of the advances the other glucose monitors have made.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worst place it happened for me was in Heathrow Airport years ago. Took my Novorapid, started dinner immediately and I still haven't a clue how the hypo hit me so quickly especially as blood was around 7 when I took it (might have been the time-change as we'd just landed after an 8 hour flight).

This was a bad one and I am sure you know that horrible feeling when you realise you are about to start fitting. Off I went. I remember my mate trying to get me to drink warm water with a lot of sugar from the restaurant. He'd to hold the glass as I couldn't - those hands were jumping all over the place. I also remember a man pulling me down onto the ground and I was trying to resist. I did begin to come out of it as two para-medics came rushing up although I couldn't quite figure out where I was as I didn't recognise anything. No wonder, the restaurant staff had screened me off from public view!

The guy who'd got me onto the ground thought I was having a heart attack despite my mate's assurance that it was a hypo. Seems I punched him right on the nose and the blood all over the floor was his. I still feel bad about that.

Bill

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Worst place it happened for me was in Heathrow Airport years ago. Took my Novorapid, started dinner immediately and I still haven't a clue how the hypo hit me so quickly especially as blood was around 7 when I took it (might have been the time-change as we'd just landed after an 8 hour flight).

This was a bad one and I am sure you know that horrible feeling when you realise you are about to start fitting. Off I went. I remember my mate trying to get me to drink warm water with a lot of sugar from the restaurant. He'd to hold the glass as I couldn't - those hands were jumping all over the place. I also remember a man pulling me down onto the ground and I was trying to resist. I did begin to come out of it as two para-medics came rushing up although I couldn't quite figure out where I was as I didn't recognise anything. No wonder, the restaurant staff had screened me off from public view!

The guy who'd got me onto the ground thought I was having a heart attack despite my mate's assurance that it was a hypo. Seems I punched him right on the nose and the blood all over the floor was his. I still feel bad about that.

Bill
Sounds awful :-( I think the worse thing is when you can't remember. I couldn't remember where I had parked my car! The woman with me must have thought I was mental! I tend to get upset too when low but thankfully I didn't start blubbing - I've been googling my legal rights incase they try to fire me before I even officially start the job!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
have had a few but absolute worst has to be as follows -- woke up and was 5.7 bolused and had breakfast -- then drove to work
clocked on at 8:17 am and the next thing i remember is being in an ambulance at 9:50am halfway to A&E
with my wife sat next to me

got to do 2nd worst as well -- away on business trip at excel in london -- out for tea at canary wharf with colleagues (pasta at carluccio's ) must have overbolused big time -- back near excel at a club at about 11:45pm and had had about 3 pints of lager all evening -- was kicked out of club by bouncers for being drunk and i collapsed on pavement outside ( dragging my petite female boss down with me who broke her wrist )
she thought i was dead ( unconscious) my best mate called ambulance and spent till 5am in A&E coming round -- signed my self out and was in work exhibiting at 9am !!

footnote -- neither I nor my boss still work at this company but have remained the best of friends:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
It wasn't my worst hypo but the most cringeworthy one was when I was giving a training presentation to a classroom full of juniors. I felt the hypo coming on in stages and still had a half hour to go of the presentation... I finished it as best as I could. What makes it cringeworthy is that it was being filmed for a training video. I haven't watched the video (I don't think I ever will!) and I am in denial as to the precise quality of the training that I was supposed to be giving...

The most "fun" hypo was just this Christmas, I was in the sweets and treats section of John Lewis. My husband noticed it before I did and made me pick out the tastiest looking Christmas treats and open and scoff them right there in the store!

Reactions: 8 people

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks all! I feel a bit better about it today and I emailed my new job to confirm start date so even if the people I saw think I'm mad/was drunk they haven't told me not to turn up in March! Still not sure I ever want to go back there though ;-)

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks all! I feel a bit better about it today and I emailed my new job to confirm start date so even if the people I saw think I'm mad/was drunk they haven't told me not to turn up in March! Still not sure I ever want to go back there though ;-)

You'll be fine, btw nice to see you posting again Debs :)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You'll be fine, btw nice to see you posting again Debs :)
Thanks, glad to be back, need to realise there is more to life than a stressful job! I am seriously considering not taking the new job after what happened, I am worried it was the stress and worry that brought on the low? I can't be sure but there must be more to life!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks, glad to be back, need to realise there is more to life than a stressful job! I am seriously considering not taking the new job after what happened, I am worried it was the stress and worry that brought on the low? I can't be sure but there must be more to life!!

It was probably just bad timing Debs, does stress and worry not usually put your bg levels up, I know it does with me.

I remember you were unhappy in your present job so a change might be good, take some time to think about things before making a decision.

Reactions: 10 people