2 x insulin a day to 4 times

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Has anyone changed their insulin regime from 2 x daily injections to 4 injections daily. do you get better control of blood sugars? is it far more complicated? Diabetic nurse suggested I change on my last visit. I said I would think about it. I do feel on the 2 injections I do not have enough control for a snack or even some days a midday meal. Any advice please?

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is more complex, but it also allows you far greater control and IMO is worth the small sacrifice. It will also give you a lot more flexibility to vary what you eat, have snacks, exercise and other changes to your daily routine. The only real downside is that you need more injections!

However, I think if you move to more injections you will need to be able to carb count, and have a greater understanding of how insulin affects your body. Have you done any kind of course like DAFNE or DESMOND?

Which type are you? This post reflects my experience as a type 1... hopefully a type 2 will correct me if what I've said is inaccurate for type 2s / other types.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I certainly got better control after changing to MDI, it gives you more flexibility around meal-times, you can even miss meals should you choose.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
It is more complex, but it also allows you far greater control and IMO is worth the small sacrifice. It will also give you a lot more flexibility to vary what you eat, have snacks, exercise and other changes to your daily routine. The only real downside is that you need more injections!

However, I think if you move to more injections you will need to be able to carb count, and have a greater understanding of how insulin affects your body. Have you done any kind of course like DAFNE or DESMOND?

Which type are you? This post reflects my experience as a type 1... hopefully a type 2 will correct me if what I've said is inaccurate for type 2s / other types.

Thanks for your reply PepperTed. It starts to get a bit confusing now as I was type 2 on metformin up to last June when I had acute and severe pancreatitis and I went on insulin as my pancreas was wrecked. The hospital say I am type 1 as what bit of my pancreas is left does not produce any insulin. My diabetic nurse doesn't know. I haven't done any type of course and it has never been mentioned. The hospital wanted to change my regime. I feel it controls me and not the other way round, Some days the intermediate acting insulin doesn't allow me to eat at midday as my BG will be up before teatime.And the same at night time. The hospital didn't give me a reason to change. They um and ah over my readings. I feel the insulin isn't right but wonder if many people feel the same? I am aware of many foods that send my readings up, I tend to low carb but cannot do high fat because of the pancreas complications and gall stones. So diet is often a problem especially if out at other peoples for food.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds tough, @janeliz. :( It doesn't sound like you are getting a good standard of care from the hospital, or to give them the benefit of the doubt perhaps they are trying not to overwhelm you with too much information.

DAFNE is Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating. It's a course that teaches you how insulin interacts with the food we eat, and therefore how to work out how much insulin to have with a meal in order to keep your blood sugars stable. That means you will never have to skip a midday meal, because whether you want to eat a single pea, a sandwich or a tub of ice cream, you will be able to adjust your dosage to stop you having a hypo or shooting up to crazy figures. Not only does it give you this flexibility in what you eat, but it teaches you about how factors beside food affect your glucose levels: for example stress, illness and exercise.

I did the course in one week, going to the hospital every day from 9-5pm. Other people do one day a week for a few months. It will depend on your hospital.

If that sounds like something you'd find valuable, I would ask your diabetes team to book you onto the course or whichever version of it your hospital offers. Hopefully they will be pleased that you want to take control of your diabetes and will do it, but you might have to fight your case by citing how much healthier it will make you. If they are really resistant let us know, and people on the forum will have great advice. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Without doubt the Basal/Bolus regime gives better control and you don't have to have 4 injections. I get away with 3 most days as I have a small low-carb breakfast so skip that and only have one Basal injection per day. Some split the Basal and have Bolus for each meal. The good thing is it's your choice and you have as much control as you want. I would go for it.