Not open for further replies.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, just to mention:

If you look back through your posts here and there is anything you wish you hadn't said in public as far as I can tell you can go back and edit it so it is no longer there.

For some of us that could take quite a while.
:D

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, just to mention:

If you look back through your posts here and there is anything you wish you hadn't said in public as far as I can tell you can go back and edit it so it is no longer there.

It would be too late if someone had already quoted your post, or copied it elsewhere, though wouldn't it?

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, just to mention:

That would put me back to a "Regular" instead of "Leg end" and I might lose all my trophies.:( Think I'll leave 'em on and just take the flack:D

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That would put me back to a "Regular" instead of "Leg end" and I might lose all my trophies.:( Think I'll leave 'em on and just take the flack:D

Or maybe a Senior, oh but you already are one. Anyway I don't think I've got anything posted I'm ashamed of,

Reactions: 3 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
When you post to a public forum you relinquish all control over the content you post.

Umm, is that really the case? - "All control"..?

I think the law of Intellectual Property Rights, as well as Libel and right to Privacy laws (such as those in the EHR), may have something to say about someone misappropriating something someone has said and putting into a context that contradicts the content, intent and meaning of the original post.

Otherwise, @LittleGreyCat , I think the main point of your post - that what is posted in the public domain is public - is spot on, but as discussed within this forum, I do believe that people have a right to know if they are being misquoted and libelled as a result.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Somehow I can't see that someone calling someone else an " effing frog faced ***** " on this forum remaining unmoderated .But it remains on Facebook .

@ohitsnicola , the threads are there as a tinyurl link that leads to the thread on here.

Which brings me back to a point I made in a previous post, that the link leads to a thread on here that the OP is possibly unaware of being linked to from Facebook. There are comments made by Facebook posters that the OP may never see, or have the right of response to .If a Facebook member wants to make a point, why not use the original thread here to make that comment and reply ?

I'd be interested to hear the opinions from some of the OP's whose threads have been linked , @AnnieC , @ConradJ ? How do you feel about it ?

Signy

Well, thanks for mentioning me Signy - I hadn't realised that I was being linked or quoted on FB sites (or other forums, I guess)!

How do I feel about it?

Well, as long as the individual linking the post is doing so in context and to help someone else see that they're not the only one with diabetes who is having, has had or will have a hard time of it once in a while or to help them get back on track then I'm all for it.

This is a public forum - if it's so personal or private that I don't want it shared with the world I'll keep it to myself ... or share it with a shrink, etc. ;)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just wondered what your opinions are on diabetes uk reposting on Facebook?

For example, I know my mum has 'liked' the page on Facebook and therefore, even though she is not a member of this forum she can read our posts.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it ... But I would have preferred our discussions to be kept private

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I've just been woken to this thread, so apologies all as I'm sure many will have already said similar things:

1) This forum is hosted on an open access basis to the world wide web - as such there are people from around the world who have signed up;

2) This forum allows "Guests" to view posts irrespective of 'membership' or diagnosis, relationship to poster, location, nationality, security clearance, etc.

3) There is no locked in private area for members only, and even if there was, how could you be sure (seeing as so many people use an alter-ego for posting here) that the person is who they claim to be? Surely, that is why the admin have locked some posts about key rules, such as 'don't give specific treatment advice' or 'don't give out contact data' etc, etc.

4) Nothing accessed via the web is totally private or secure; although you have legal rights of content ownership, rights to redress if maligned or libelled, etc.

5) If concerned about your ID being discovered, do not reveal information that may be traced back to you!

6) Sorry to burst the bubble, but that's the www for you... if you want things kept private, hold a meeting with confidants or professionals who are legally bound to privacy.

Best wishes,
C.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we are all now up to speed with what is or isn't private but our beef remains in that we didn't know our posts were being put onto FB and they were being used to sex up the FB page to make this site more interesting to possible members, that is tacky and not needed, if someone really needs help or information the fact that so and so has got a boil on his/her bum and its publicised on FB isn't going to impress them. it may give them a giggle and they may come on over here for a gander but its still tacky.

Reactions: 18 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we are all now up to speed with what is or isn't private but our beef remains in that we didn't know our posts were being put onto FB and they were being used to sex up the FB page to make this site more interesting to possible members, that is tacky and not needed, if someone really needs help or information the fact that so and so has got a boil on his/her bum and its publicised on FB isn't going to impress them. it may give them a giggle and they may come on over here for a gander but its still tacky.

beautifully put!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm sorry @satindoll, but I'd disagree with you on that. Given the way that I and many others use facebook, I'd be very surprised if there weren't many people who have followed links to discussions and decided to stick around.

For all the dislike and dumbasses, there are plenty who do use it as a way of finding out more information. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with posting links from the forum on facebook and twitter as a way to encourage people to come here and join in, or even discuss on facebook. Just because there are dumbasses doesn't mean there aren't people benefitting. It's a pity we don't have any indication of the split.

Don't assume that just because many of us use the forum for contribution, others wouldn't know where to start. As a bad quote from somewhere, it's surprising how many people think the internet IS facebook....

I've already made my views clear on whether people should have been aware that threads were/are being shared.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I'm sorry @satindoll, but I'd disagree with you on that. Given the way that I and many others use facebook, I'd be very surprised if there weren't many people who have followed links to discussions and decided to stick around.

For all the dislike and dumbasses, there are plenty who do use it as a way of finding out more information. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with posting links from the forum on facebook and twitter as a way to encourage people to come here and join in, or even discuss on facebook. Just because there are dumbasses doesn't mean there aren't people benefitting. It's a pity we don't have any indication of the split.!

Surely we would be allowed to ask the question
"How many members found this site via viewing Facebook" which would give some kind of indication of the split

Don't assume that just because many of us use the forum for contribution, others wouldn't know where to start. As a bad quote from somewhere, it's surprising how many people think the internet IS facebook....

I've already made my views clear on whether people should have been aware that threads were/are being shared.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
351swmu.jpg

@adrian207 I fell for this, hook line and sinker. brilliant. So here is your flowers
flower13.gif

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese

Surely we are able to ask the quest

"Did you find this forum via Facebook?"
Which would give an indication of the split

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I may be a dumbass for not knowing it was happening but then I wasn't the only one.

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I may be a dumbass for not knowing it was happening but then I wasn't the only one.

Dumbass No satindoll, naive, possibly, like me too and probably many, many others. We have some knowledge of what may take place on the Internet, fraud, gossip, slander, out and out war amongst people, bullying, the list is endless, but it's the little things that we may see as insignificant and not related to us,:eek: actually are :oops: Then once you start digging ,it can be like a minefield.:eek:

'It is human to err' Le Corbusier ( 1887 - 1965)

I found this site by googling Diabetes support.

RRB x

Reactions: 4 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dumbass No satindoll, naive, possibly, like me too and probably many, many others. We have some knowledge of what may take place on the Internet, fraud, gossip, slander, out and out war amongst people, bullying, the list is endless, but it's the little things that we may see as insignificant and not related to us,:eek: actually are :oops: Then once you start digging ,it can be like a minefield.:eek:

'It is human to err' Le Corbusier ( 1887 - 1965)

I found this site by googling Diabetes support.

RRB x

And I was looking for alternative injection sites,

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.