1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Forum posts on facebook

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by daniT1D, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just wondered what your opinions are on diabetes uk reposting on Facebook?

For example, I know my mum has 'liked' the page on Facebook and therefore, even though she is not a member of this forum she can read our posts.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it ... But I would have preferred our discussions to be kept private

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 13
  2. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

is it not only posts that the admin of the Facebook page decides can be shared...........so the admin picks out a few and shares them........?

3. daniT1D

But it's still a thread I've been part of

• Like Like x 2
  4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Oh I didn't realise that but I hardly go on facebook ,tbh, just a peek now and then. I would rather my posts ( I don't know about other members ) stayed on here and any diabetes posts I make I would do it my self and therefore not intervened by others, I don't like that :mad: :eek: edited to say , I think I have been a little naive :oops:

• Like Like x 6
    #4 Robinredbreast, Jan 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  5. daniT1D

Glad it's not just me! I talk to you lot about more than I would with friends and family sometimes as you 'get it'

• Like Like x 11
  6. daniT1D

.... Let's hope they don't go and repost this convo on Facebook!

• Like Like x 6
  7. Robinredbreast

Many social sites lurk:watching: and even when I want to try a trial or want to investigate more into a link, up pops twitter or facebook, or something else, that's when i stop :stop: it's a huge bug bear of mine. We should be asked if we want to shared, some are happy to, some are not :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would not be happy about anything I post on here appearing on FB .

I prefer to have a choice as far as privacy goes, and if I wanted anything I wrote to be on FB, then I would post it there. I don't like FB and only have an account to keep in touch with overseas friends .

If posts or replies that I have made on here are shared on FB without my permission, then a choice has to be made as to which has to go :(

Signy

• Like Like x 19
  9. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

It is always wise not to give out too much personal information to identify who you are and choose a forum name that does not identify you.

Will tag @Giverny as to her views.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Robinredbreast

• Like Like x 4
  11. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good advice generally, but not really pertinent to this thread. It's the sharing of posts on this forum with FB or any other site for that matter, without knowledge and consent of the author that is the issue.

That is , if it is happening ( I have yet to check ), and consent is not given in the very small print somewhere when you sign up to this forum .

Signy

• Like Like x 7
  12. daniT1D

Sorry hope I haven't got it wrong or upset anyone ... I just wasn't comfortable with it

• Like Like x 5
  13. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

It is not upsetting, it just want's clarifying for everyone's benefit.

• Like Like x 2
  14. daniT1D

This is what I saw on FB today ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1421936245.807896.jpg
    But maybe I can read it as a member but others can't?

15. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do not remember giving permission for any of my posts to be reposted on Facebook, unless it was hidden away in the small print I do not remember it being mentioned, I for one would be horrified for any of my posts to be reposted and will not post again until this is cleared up.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Robinredbreast

Hmmm, I don't know, but I don't like it, hopefully someone will be able to answer that dani. I have posted on the mentioned thread and in my eyes it's for here only ( unless someone copies and pastes it) !!

Best wishes RRB

17. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

@daniT1D thank you for starting this thread. I am not happy for my posts to be on FB. I don't like FB that's why I cancelled my account with them. Is this what we signed up to when we joined here? I may have to rethink my participation in this forum. Whilst I don't mind the whole world seeing what I have written here on the forum, I don't want to see it elsewhere on the net. Like @satindoll I shan't be posting again until I get an explanation. At the moment I am very angry. I and some friends of mine have had warnings for very small misdemeanours, then this huge thing happens? It makes a mockery of the rules and regulations.

I disagree - It is very upsetting. We all need to know so that we have the chance to leave this forum if this is going to continue. To me this is a massive breach of trust.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Robinredbreast

Lets find out first from Admin before jumping the gun about 'members wanting to leave' My own personal choice is :-
    I am going to wait for a reply and go from there.

Best wishes RRB

19. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. i purposelly have not joined the group on facebook as there are people I would not want to know about my diabetes. I'm going to change my pic now just incase.

• Like Like x 2
  20. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I won't be posting anything else until we get a reply. Then I will read it very carefully and make a decision.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook