Amount of insulin in syringe driver

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all,

Just a quick question.... how much insulin do people put in their pump and how often do you change it...

I know this will depend on how much insulin people use daily but the reason I ask is, I fill up roughly half the syringe driver (around 100ml) and change the driver AND cannula every 3 days.

But I was wondering, if I filled up the syringe driver FULLY (around 200ml) could I then just change the CANNULA every 3 days and then change the driver when I've run out of insulin (which if I'm doing half every 3 days would make it change every 6 days).

The nurse told me when I got my pump just over 3 months ago to change EVERYTHING every 3 days but I wondered if people do it differently?

I wondered if there's a reason you should change the insulin every 3 days??

Any advice welcome!
Thanks
Alison x

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I change the cartridge when it's empty 6 - 7 - 8 days and the cannula every 3 days. Official line is not to leave insulin in cartridge for more than 6 days. I will not compromise on length of time cannula is used for though.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm a follower of DSN advice so, like you at the mo, I change everything on day 3. I was told something about it degrading in the plastic reservoir but I don't know.

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I'm still a newbie so I like to 'play by the rules' hehe! Think I'll ask my DSN when I see them next!

Doing the set changes isn't too much of a bother to be fair.... especially as I've now changed to PINK Inset II sets! #easilypleasedme hehe!

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As far as I know all insulin except aprida sp* is licenced for 6 days in the pump. It also save wastage and money by using the cartridge for 6 days if you can. Animas though only use a 200U cartridge which for many people would not last that long.

Doing the set changes isn't too much of a bother to be fair.... especially as I've now changed to PINK Inset II sets! #easilypleasedme hehe!
Lol when I ring for supplies I always say I don't care what colour you send as long as it's not pink :D

Reactions: 4 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Pink every time for me

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I change cannula every 2 days (use flexlink which can stay in for up to 3 days), change cartridge every 6-7 days.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All gets changed every 3 days as the pods (Omnipod) have to be discarded after this time.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on novorapid pump carts (160U) and change the cannula every three days, full change every 6 days, and I'm throwing away about 90U each time as it is.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm on novorapid pump carts (160U) and change the cannula every three days, full change every 6 days, and I'm throwing away about 90U each time as it is.
Simple solution is to change the cartridge when you get down to the last few units of insulin. 90 units is a dreadful waste of money.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Simple solution is to change the cartridge when you get down to the last few units of insulin. 90 units is a dreadful waste of money.
yes, but I've been told to change it every 6 days

iHs

yes, but I've been told to change it every 6 days
To save waisting this amount of expensive insulin, think about transferring it into an empty insulin pen cartridge which isnt hard to do. All pumpers should have a backup with them when they go out and about and not depend on the pump completely just in case problems arise. Wont hurt anyone to use a pen for some of their bolus to use the 90u up.

I cannot see many CCGs funding the Insight if people are waisting pump carts. Much better to use conventional cartridge and fill from insulin vial.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to change insulin driver and cannula every 3-4 days unless it gets pulled (happens now and again) which means i get down to 20-30 u of insulin. Obviously if there were any signs something wasnt right i would change earlier.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To save waisting this amount of expensive insulin, think about transferring it into an empty insulin pen cartridge which isnt hard to do. All pumpers should have a backup with them when they go out and about and not depend on the pump completely just in case problems arise. Wont hurt anyone to use a pen for some of their bolus to use the 90u up.

I cannot see many CCGs funding the Insight if people are waisting pump carts. Much better to use conventional cartridge and fill from insulin vial.
I was told that the insulin degrades more rapidly at body temp or near to that, which it is at when the pump is next to your body. So to refill a penfill cartridge would not be the solution on that logic.

The real reason is that I'm on a very low TDD of around 8 units a day. When on MDI I used to end up throwing away part used levemir and novo cartridges every month

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The pods for the Omnipod holds 200U and I'm using just over a 100U over a three day period, so need to cut back on the amount of insulin that I fill the pod with, like everyone really hate waste.