DLA and under 18

icylilies

Hi, i have a question about DLA

I'm currently under 18 and was wondering when my DLA stops. I only just sent it off but received the form shortly after my 17th birthday in september. I had been very ill for 3months and it had been lost while i was in hospital. I just sent it off finally but it occured to me i will only have 8months of payment on it.
I have had to pull from school due to sickness and inability to compleye my as-levels. Meaning i will be in school till i'm 19 nearly 20. I am still under full care by my mother, needing a lot of support from her.
I don't need this money for buying rubbish, it's to help fund the libre and my omni pod( i am waiting on a funding appeal due to the pump i had applied for in paediatrics is unable now im in adults)

I am unable to work, if i was able to i would. My parents are currently cutting into savings to fund the equipment at the moment.

If you can shed any light on if it stops indefinitly at 18 or i can apply till i leave school then thank you for your help in advance.

sallybee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lots of people
Your DLA award will normally end on your 18th birthday, but if for example you were awarded a lifetime award, it would just start again as an adult award.

The most likely is that you will need to make a new application for PIP as an adult (PIP has replaced DLA for adults).

Remember though that neither DLA or PIP are awarded for Diabetes or any other illness, they are awarded to cover additional costs as a RESULT of your illness. So for example to cover your need for someone to keep an eye on you in case you have a hypo etc.

The forms are quite difficult to complete, so its always a good idea to get help filling tbem in!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am concerned that it appears ftom your info that you are having to fund an omnipod yourself? That isn't right. Yes, a libre you will currently have to self fund but no way should you have to fund anything towards a pump.

PIP is entirely different to DLA and if you are finding that you rely on support from parents then it needs to be wriiten on your forms and to continue..

icylilies

Thank you for the information guys. Got in contact with PIP and they have taken my DLA form thankfully and i'm waiting on a assessment.
@donnellysdogs sadly the omnipod is only funded for now if you are in paediatrics. I had to leave my paediatric clinic as I wasn't getting the right care and ended up with a HB1ac at 14! When I joined the adult clinic and started the road into pump therapy we came across a lot of problems and that meant the omni pod was the only pump that I could cope with. But of course the funding people don't see it like that! So just got to fund it while we appeal which I hope will be a success.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you for the information guys. Got in contact with PIP and they have taken my DLA form thankfully and i'm waiting on a assessment.
@donnellysdogs sadly the omnipod is only funded for now if you are in paediatrics. I had to leave my paediatric clinic as I wasn't getting the right care and ended up with a HB1ac at 14! When I joined the adult clinic and started the road into pump therapy we came across a lot of problems and that meant the omni pod was the only pump that I could cope with. But of course the funding people don't see it like that! So just got to fund it while we appeal which I hope will be a success.

This isn't right. If that's the pump most suitable for your needs then your commissioning group should be funding it.
Have you contacted INPUT? I'm sure they will be able to help you out.
http://www.input.me.uk/