Getting a pump

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask how difficult it has been for people to get a pump?

I've been trying for some time now. My nurses say I should be able to and I saw my consultant this time last year she put me forward for an assessment. Only a couple of months ago I found out this had never been put through by mistake and my nurse says I need to wait until my next consultant appointment to speak to her again! They have sent me 2 appointments and then sent me cancellation letters saying they will send through new appointments but they haven't. That's over a year I've been waiting so far I hassle my nurse but it never gets anywhere. I have done dafne and keep very detailed food and insulin diaries and my blood sugars still have a mind of their own so I really feel I would benefit. It's getting really frustrating

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Charisma, write directly to your consultant and ask why no apt and also tell her that you have been left off of the pump list. Keep it polite and factual. She will have to reply to you within a certain amount of days.

Reactions: 2 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you that is a good idea. Any idea where I actually need to address the letter to? I know her name but that's about it!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you that is a good idea. Any idea where I actually need to address the letter to? I know her name but that's about it!
Hi , address it to the her by name and send it to the hospital where you are seen. Send it by recorded as well then you know she has it. :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like you are in a good position to get one, DAFNE educated, already in a good habit or recording and dose adjustment...........

it just looks like you are having trouble getting an appointment, which is likely completely unrelated to the consultants view on whether you should get a pump or not......

its just a shame you were not put forward when you were asking the first time..........

good suggestions from others, keep at them.......

is your next appointment soon.........?

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I think my nurse has a bit of a thing against pumps she doesn't seem to care less if I have one or not. I see my nurse about once a month and remind her every time but it doesn't seem to work. I don't have an appointment I'm due my yearly consultant appointment but as I say it kept getting cancelled and haven't yet had a new appointment through. im desperate to try one though as I've heard mainly of good results!!

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You see your nurse monthly??? ... wow.. lucky you.

As the others said - write to your consultant; you'll definitely get an answer that way.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A quicker route might be to ring your consultants secretary and ask them what is going on, they can normally push things forward and get you in sooner rather than wait via the appointments service.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I tried the secratery but her answer machine said shes off until Monday!

I'm not sure which pumps my hospital has to offer, but out of curiosity the ones with an integrated CGM, do the nhs supply the parts for the CGM part or is that something that has to be self funded if I want that?

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I'm pretty sure CGM are self funded otherwise we'd all want one :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you I tried the secratery but her answer machine said shes off until Monday!

I'm not sure which pumps my hospital has to offer, but out of curiosity the ones with an integrated CGM, do the nhs supply the parts for the CGM part or is that something that has to be self funded if I want that?
The receiver is already in the pump, you have to supply the transmitter and sensors :)

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been having issues with my eyes and I get hand pain from unstable blood sugars. On a really good a1c I manage 7.0 I know it's not aweful but I'm still in pain. I also get really bad anxiety my consultant said she sees no reason I wouldn't be allowed one.

Last year I had to go to a different hospital as they asked me to trial something and the rep there actually said she struggles to deal with my hospital as they seem really anti technology and against trying out new things. I think they just prefer the old methods so see no need to push for the pump. I did consider changing hospital to addenbrokes as I've heard such good things but it would be really inconvenient to get there so often.

What do you mean about contacting a rep? Doesn't it all have to go directly through the hospital?

I will definitely try and contact the consultants directly!