Type 1 for 7 years and today I've just admitted it!!

Type1lyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well hello here we go I have been a type 1 for 7 years I have no idea what my bs have been I eat whatever I want more chocolate than a non diabetic! Recently I have been so sick tired itchy and a total b#%*h to my partner., temper tantrums mood swings BUT today I went to the doctors YAY! Going to get bloods tomorrow to check everything and will know in 2-3 days

Reactions: 10 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for getting back on track. You'll feel a million times better once back in control :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great news, if you want any support and advice do feel free to come back and ask.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum, Type1lyn, it sounds like a bit of a wake up call for you. This is a great forum for helpful advice and support. Good luck.

Best wishes RRB

Type1lyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys nervous for bloods but won't know what I'm dealing with until! I'm expecting the worst I want to enquire pumps dafne counselling the lot! I'm ready to tackle this ha!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks guys nervous for bloods but won't know what I'm dealing with until! I'm expecting the worst I want to enquire pumps dafne counselling the lot! I'm ready to tackle this ha!

You have to do the DAFNE training before going on a pump as you have to be confident at carb counting, although some people who have been diagnosed a long time and used to carb counting may not have to go on the course, but anyway good luck for tomorrow and hope all goes well.

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you, first step is the hardest, you really won't regret it out of curiosity, have you had much trouble over the last seven years in terms of dka/ very high sugars and ketones etc?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You have to do the DAFNE training before going on a pump as you have to be confident at carb counting, although some people who have been diagnosed a long time and used to carb counting may not have to go on the course, but anyway good luck for tomorrow and hope all goes well.

They like you to have dafne training but as in my case I have never had any training at all other than what I taught myself.

HOWEVER. Proof was that I kept a log book in with regular testing, all my foods carb countrd and adjusting doses etc.... I could 100% prove I had everything feasible being done properly.

Just that before you discuss pumps etc you need to keep on the bandwagon of looking after yourself and proving it.

Pumps aren't normally given to adults that haven't tried everything. Children are nowadays being seen as a priority for pumps.

So if you are starting to think you want a pump then keep doing the things you should be.

Type1lyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice guys and bellabella no you wouldn't even know I was a diabetic a lot of people didn't!! But I had a baby 2 years ago an that was one of the hardest things i have ever done!! It wasn't planned an my hba1c was through the roof but I managed to get my act together an have a healthy little girl!! But soon as the baby came I haven't seen 1 doctor

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They like you to have dafne training but as in my case I have never had any training at all other than what I taught myself..

DD, it was you and another member that I had in mind when mentioning that some people haven't had to do the DAFNE course pre-pump.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
DD, it was you and another member that I had in mind when mentioning that some people haven't had to do the DAFNE course pre-pump.

Yep, thanks for that. I think I was lucky because of my circumstances at the time and the proof I could give that I was completely ok and OTT on my carb counting and adjusting etc...and that I had a **** good DSN!!

It is vitally important that people know that people like me aren't the normal pump persons. For not doing dafne....And the hoops that people have to sometimes jump through to get a pump.

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well hello here we go I have been a type 1 for 7 years I have no idea what my bs have been I eat whatever I want more chocolate than a non diabetic! Recently I have been so sick tired itchy and a total b#%*h to my partner., temper tantrums mood swings BUT today I went to the doctors YAY! Going to get bloods tomorrow to check everything and will know in 2-3 days
How did the blood tests go for you? Hope it's all going well

Type1lyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi bellabella I have an appointment in the morning with doctor will let you know. Thanks xx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi bellabella I have an appointment in the morning with doctor will let you know. Thanks xx
Good luck for tomorrow .
You are on the right track :)

Warm welcome to us all here . :happy:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

That'a girl, give diabetes a little kick up the backside from time to time, just to show who's boss,:rolleyes: :D

Good luck and all the best

RRB :)

Reactions: 3 people

Type1lyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hba1c was 11.6 and anemic waiting for an appointment for the clinic but thankfully nothing else came back so fingers crossed no damage done!!

lely

Hi I've only just started to pay attention to my diabetes properly in 7 years and had a a1c of 11 in November. Had blood test beginning of feb and its 9 so I'm going in the right direction. I'm hoping for lower next time maybe an 8. Progression not perfection I keep telling myself. Hope all goes well with your control from here on in. I do love this forum always so much great info, advice and support, your certainly not on your own. You will feel better soon it amazing how you see how rubbish you felt when you start to get better control.