What do you think to this?

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Evening all - just wondering what you thought..... I merely emailed my Dietician recently to ask her view on lchf (as advised by my DSN). She kindly got me a meter to test ketones and was genuinely interested in my food diary. She has, however, just got in touch having spoken to my Consultant, and they've concurred that I need to eat 20g CHO PER MEAL!!!!! The reason she says, is that all the literature she has is based on 45g-70g CHO per day! She also wants to see me! Why does this fill me with dread?!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all - just wondering what you thought..... I merely emailed my Dietician recently to ask her view on lchf (as advised by my DSN). She kindly got me a meter to test ketones and was genuinely interested in my food diary. She has, however, just got in touch having spoken to my Consultant, and they've concurred that I need to eat 20g CHO PER MEAL!!!!! The reason she says, is that all the literature she has is based on 45g-70g CHO per day! She also wants to see me! Why does this fill me with dread?!
CHO?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I hope you have your defence well prepared. Blind her with all the latest research, your own food diaries and meter readings. Tell her she is behind the times, and ask her if she wants to be responsible for making your diabetes worse.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am allergic to carbs and sugars because of my condition.
You do needs carbs but only what you get from veg and fruit that don't spike you. Any carbs that the outdated dsn tells you to eat is absolute rubbish.
I'm nearly an oap, and I'm fitter than many thirty year olds.
My mental capacity is better and I'm clear headed and I work in a manual intensive job.

I couldn't do this eating carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Bluetit1802 - I will. I just can't believe they're both encouraging diabetics to eat more carbs! 20g at each meal too! Will start compiling a folder of research articles! Thanks.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am allergic to carbs and sugars because of my condition.
You do needs carbs but only what you get from veg and fruit that don't spike you. Any carbs that the outdated dsn tells you to eat is absolute rubbish.
I'm nearly an oap, and I'm fitter than many thirty year olds.
My mental capacity is better and I'm clear headed and I work in a manual intensive job.

I couldn't do this eating carbs.
Agreed @nosher8355 - feel sharper too & less 'weighed down' on lchf. I was staggered at the suggestion tbh! Glad to hear you are doing so well too. All the best.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Bluetit1802 - I will. I just can't believe they're both encouraging diabetics to eat more carbs! 20g at each meal too! Will start compiling a folder of research articles! Thanks.
5-10 for breakfast and 2X20g main meals = 45-50g..nothing wrong with that in my opinion and is in the 'ideal' ketogenic LCHF range
for me..all of that would be from veg/salad, no grain or fruits

Reactions: 6 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @jack412 - know what you're saying - it's just that at the mo I'm eating around 30g per day so 20g per meal would be double. I'll have to see her reasons for suggesting this when I see her, as she did state that I would need to increase my novo - so it doesn't make much sense to me! Cheers.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5-10 for breakfast and 2X20g main meals = 45-50g..nothing wrong with that in my opinion and is in the 'ideal' ketogenic LCHF range
for me..all of that would be from veg/salad, no grain or fruits
I forgot...and I include some nuts etc as snacks in the 1x5-10g and 2x20g allowance

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2015-2-25_10-53-17.png

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @jack412 - know what you're saying - it's just that at the mo I'm eating around 30g per day so 20g per meal would be double. I'll have to see her reasons for suggesting this when I see her, as she did state that I would need to increase my novo - so it doesn't make much sense to me! Cheers.
you may need to be on 30g...depends on whether you are losing weight, if you need to, on 50g...some insulin resistant people wont lose weight at that carb level.
also your BG..if that.s ok on 50g

50g is easier to LCHF with and gives more variety

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm not surprised. It's the same mindset here in Canada.
This is straight from the Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines:

"The current recommended minimum intake for CHO is not less than 130 g/day, to provide glucose to the brain (32)."

Reference cited:
Institute of Medicine, Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes for
Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino
Acids. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2002.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
So I downloaded the above reference. It has a really good explanation of what happens with a carbohydrate restricted diet (i.e. ketosis) and how we can get all the glucose we need from protein. It has some speculative reasons for why a carbohydrate restricted diet might be bad, but nothing really compelling.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The good old gluconeogenesis... Have to say that I agree with @jack412 though. 60g carbs per day is by no stretch high!

Reactions: 5 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Medusa
I think a lot depends on how your BG control is. If you can prove it is very good and this corresponds with good hba1c and weight control then I think most DSNs and dieticians will support your very low carb case. Mine certainly are. My dietician said that my LCHF diet (36g carb) and corresponding blood test markers (for cholesterol etc) went against all her training, but went on to say that it is clearly working for me and that I should carry on with it.

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I downloaded the above reference. It has a really good explanation of what happens with a carbohydrate restricted diet (i.e. ketosis) and how we can get all the glucose we need from protein. It has some speculative reasons for why a carbohydrate restricted diet might be bad, but nothing really compelling.
Thank you @NoCrbs4Me - will have a look. That's good to hear. I don't know about you guys on the forum but I'm on small amounts of insulin so if I start upping the carbs & therefore the Novo I think I'll start the rollercoaster of highs/lows again! Ho hum! Cheers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that 60g a day is by no means high. I myself had 60g daily until very recently when I dropped to 50g. However, I could not have 20g at breakfast without spiking very high, staying high all morning and consequently half the afternoon. I learnt this lesson very early. I still go up by a whole mmol/l after just 6g at breakfast. My insulin resistance improves as the day progresses so I can take most of my carbs at tea time.
BUT the carbs she will most likely promote will be some of the major wholemeal ones.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medusa
I think a lot depends on how your BG control is. If you can prove it is very good and this corresponds with good hba1c and weight control then I think most DSNs and dieticians will support your very low carb case. Mine certainly are. My dietician said that my LCHF diet (36g carb) and corresponding blood test markers (for cholesterol etc) went against all her training, but went on to say that it is clearly working for me and that I should carry on with it.
Thanks @IanDP - maybe she will then. Yes Hba1c finally down to 6.8% in old money! I have lost a few pounds but only want to lose around 7lbs. I'm seeing her tomorrow so, as you say, perhaps she'll be on my side! That's good to hear regarding you - well done!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that 60g a day is by no means high. I myself had 60g daily until very recently when I dropped to 50g. However, I could not have 20g at breakfast without spiking very high, staying high all morning and consequently half the afternoon. I learnt this lesson very early. I still go up by a whole mmol/l after just 6g at breakfast. My insulin resistance improves as the day progresses so I can take most of my carbs at tea time.
BUT the carbs she will most likely promote will be some of the major wholemeal ones.
Thanks @Bluetit1802 - yes I agree. I usually have a very low carb breakfast in particular & can't imagine eating 20g. It's normally eggs or a thin rice cake & goats cheese! Hadn't thought about the insulin resistance at different times....... I was told I was 'insulin sensitive' so I find the less I take the easier the control! Due to see her tomorrow so we'll see! Thanks for the post.