The Bad Days?

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, I have now been pumping for 7 weeks. These past weeks have been a massive learning curve regarding how my body reacts to insulin! I have been adjusting basal rates (currently on 8 different settings!) but despite being incredibly positive and dedicated towards giving this 110% the last week has been REALLY HARD! and emotionally draining . I have resulted to using my insulin pen to reduce a succession of highs! having discovered a beautiful KINK on the end of my cannula, having decided to change as a last resort. It really feels like this last week has taken me right back, when I had been progressing so well I do feel more positive today but just wondered if any other pumpers have days like this? Would just be nice to know I am not the only one? Thanks

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Poppy2 , I have been on my pump for a little while longer than you. I still feel as if there are issues and at times there can be two days which are not the same.
Insulin Pumps do take a lot of work but the benefits should outweigh the negatives.
I feel like after 4 months I'm still no where near my optimum levels on Basal just yet. I did some afternoon basal testing on Friday, made some changes for yesterday to test again and had a hypo a midday, so that was that out the window for another day. Couldn't even be bothered with trying it again today.
I've not had any kinked cannulas but I guess this could very well happen at some point.

Reactions: 6 people

iHs

Hi @Poppy2

You are not alone.....there are loads of pumpers out there in the real world who will or have already, experienced the same thoughts as yourself.

Using a pump in the first 12- 18 months is at times draining so nothing is perfect but with time it does get easier as you get used to dealing with the problems and get less panicky. For sure, always use yr insulin pen if bg goes high and the correction settings dont seem to make bg get lower. This can down to many things like basal need altering, set needs inserting in a different area, set not working right, carb content not calculated correctly and so on ........... We all make mistakes at times in getting the carb content of food accurate as not everyone has a mobile phone with internet access and there are loads of places that serve food and unless somewhere like McDs, KFC etc is being used, then its down to guess work and hope for the best lol.

In general, most people using pumps will be drawn to bg testing frequently as you just cannot take anything for granted for too long as you have found out by bg testing and then realising that there was a nice kink on the end of the tube which might have restricted the flow of insulin entering the cannula. With time, you will find a way to insert the set so that the tube clip joins in such a way as to not restrict the flow. Tubes are fairly resiliant though as there is also an inner tube inside the outer tube so although tubes dont break, you do have to be careful.

Keep calm and keep on trucking.........it does get easier

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You most certainly aren't the only one to feel utterly exasperated with pumping sometimes @Poppy2 , There is so much to be aware of all the while and it is sometimes hard trying to pinpoint the cause of any problems

You've got 7 weeks of hard work in the bank now so don't despair, all that effort to get your pump set up correctly isn't wasted. There are days when things just don't go right, sometimes it's operator error with mis-calculated boluses, other times it is a problem with absorption that requires a new cannula, and very often it's basal rates that need tweaking just because. You become the pump equivalent of Sherlock Holmes trying to establish what is causing the problem. Usually if all else fails I do change my cannula to a different site.

I've been using a pump for going on 16 years now and I get good days and bad days, the good days and improved control massively outweigh the bad days. Stick with it, it does improve with time :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Poppy2 , I have been on my pump for a little while longer than you. I still feel as if there are issues and at times there can be two days which are not the same.
Insulin Pumps do take a lot of work but the benefits should outweigh the negatives.
I feel like after 4 months I'm still no where near my optimum levels on Basal just yet. I did some afternoon basal testing on Friday, made some changes for yesterday to test again and had a hypo a midday, so that was that out the window for another day. Couldn't even be bothered with trying it again today.
I've not had any kinked cannulas but I guess this could very well happen at some point.
Thank you! I am more hopeful today! I think it is such a massive learning curve that some days the slightest small thing can be overwhelming! Well done on your progress with the pump.

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! I am more hopeful today! I think it is such a massive learning curve that some days the slightest small thing can be overwhelming! Well done on your progress with the pump.
Glad you are more hopeful today.
There are always going to be days that are a challenge.

Reactions: 4 people

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Poppy2

You are not alone.....there are loads of pumpers out there in the real world who will or have already, experienced the same thoughts as yourself.

Using a pump in the first 12- 18 months is at times draining so nothing is perfect but with time it does get easier as you get used to dealing with the problems and get less panicky. For sure, always use yr insulin pen if bg goes high and the correction settings dont seem to make bg get lower. This can down to many things like basal need altering, set needs inserting in a different area, set not working right, carb content not calculated correctly and so on ........... We all make mistakes at times in getting the carb content of food accurate as not everyone has a mobile phone with internet access and there are loads of places that serve food and unless somewhere like McDs, KFC etc is being used, then its down to guess work and hope for the best lol.

In general, most people using pumps will be drawn to bg testing frequently as you just cannot take anything for granted for too long as you have found out by bg testing and then realising that there was a nice kink on the end of the tube which might have restricted the flow of insulin entering the cannula. With time, you will find a way to insert the set so that the tube clip joins in such a way as to not restrict the flow. Tubes are fairly resiliant though as there is also an inner tube inside the outer tube so although tubes dont break, you do have to be careful.

Keep calm and keep on trucking.........it does get easier
Thank you for the great support and advice, I am realistic about the hard work pumping entails, just think I hit a wobble yesterday x

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You most certainly aren't the only one to feel utterly exasperated with pumping sometimes @Poppy2 , There is so much to be aware all the while and it is sometimes hard trying to pinpoint the cause of any problems

You've got 7 weeks of hard work in the bank now so don't despair, all that effort to get your pump set up correctly isn't wasted. There are days when things just don't go right, sometimes it's operator error with mis-calculated boluses, other times it is a problem with absorption that requires a new cannula, and very often it's basal rates that need tweaking just because. You become the pump equivalent of Sherlock Holmes trying to establish what is causing the problem. Usually if all else fails I do change my cannula to a different site.

I've been using a pump for going on 16 years now and I get good days and bad days, the good days and improved control massively outweigh the bad days. Stick with it, it does improve with time :)
Thank you- I like that Sherlock comparison! That really made me smile! WOW 16 Years pumping! Do you get a long service award for that? That's incredible, I have only known about pumping for the last 4 years or so. Do you mind me asking what pump you currently have? Just curious with 16,years experience which Model you have advanced to x

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I started on the pump in August and still have difficult days!!! it has changed my life though as I was having 5 hypos a day and these have all stopped. I have ripped my pump out after catching on a door handle ouch !!! but its all so worth it. I am still adjusting my basal rates as just gone onto lchf diet so my bloods have improved. Keep with it :)

iHs

@Poppy2 if you read some of my posts back in 2010 when I first started using the Combo, I too refered to being 'Sherlock' as well.

Big tip...is when changing basal rates, keep in mind if the weather temp has changed or if less or more bodyweight is the reason or if the cannula is in a different area on the body..
Some pumps have a lot of basal rate settings that need to be adjusted, while others have less. I think the more perfect one tries to be, the more we all stumble at times so try not to panic

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you- I like that Sherlock comparison! That really made me smile! WOW 16 Years pumping! Do you get a long service award for that? That's incredible, I have only known about pumping for the last 4 years or so. Do you mind me asking what pump you currently have? Just curious with 16,years experience which Model you have advanced to x

No long service award, just some bruises on my stomach ;)

I started with a Disetronic pump and had about 4 of those then I moved area and my new pump clinic only used Medtronic. I've used a Veo for 4 years and am changing to their new 640g pump in the next few months. Pumps have become smaller with more features although the Disetronic was a really straightforward model and easy to get used to- which was just as well as it was pre me having home internet so nobody much to ask!

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with what's been said @Poppy2, persevere and don't give up as its early days.

Ekat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going on 3 weeks and I feel like I'm starting over :/ I'm trying to stay positive but I'm thinking of going back to pens. Good luck!! We will get it down eventually :)

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going on 3 weeks and I feel like I'm starting over :/ I'm trying to stay positive but I'm thinking of going back to pens. Good luck!! We will get it down eventually :)
Hello, you have come to the right place! This forum is fantastic for information, guidance and practical support because it is full of people who have or know someone with Diabetes. It can be hard to find empathy from people who have no experience of being Diabetic ( and pumping!! ) It is REALLY HARD WORK! but as others have said we are still the novices in this massive learning process. We are pumping to try and gain stability of our Diabetes and flexibility for lifestyle choices. In these early weeks and months it isn't always clear about the positive impact pumping may have, because it is such a massive learning curve requiring commitment and dedication. I have good and bad days (particularly bad last weekend). But we try again and push forward. I keep a daily diary account of all my levels, food and carbs, activity etc (I know I can then download from the pump!) and every couple of days I review all aspects of my readings and do a summary of my progress, a bit of a self assessment- this helps me to put things into perspective. Every hiccup (for example my cannula r linking!) I see as a positive because it makes me extra vigilant next time when my BM's begin to rise! I feel very lucky to have been given this opportunity, but appreciate it isn't for everyone. Try and push on and take all the help and advice you can get from here and your DSN . Do you have the book Pumping Insulin? By John Walsh.......its a must! Good luck

Ekat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The only person I used to relate to about diabetes was my aunt who passed away last year at the age of 50. My grandmother who also had diabetes died at 42 so I have no other living relatives who I can talk to or friends that have diabetes type one. I'm grateful to read everyone being so honest on this site.
So far my love hate relationship with this pump is growing and I know how lucky I am to even have one. I plan on sticking this through and figuring it out as I go along. THANKS again

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been IDD since 1971, had lots of ups and downs including changes over that time but moving to a pump was the biggest. Lots to learn, lots to adjust, work out how your body uses the insulin 24/7 as its different every hour, food absorption into carbs also varies over the day and night.

I did have days where I had to work on my basal's and found this hard too (still have those days but much easier). It maybe took my around 3 months before I felt at home with the pump, but, its the best thing I ever did and would never go back to a pen (except for emergencies).

As has been said above, stick with it :), it will get easier.

Reactions: 3 people

Ekat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been IDD since 1971, had lots of ups and downs including changes over that time but moving to a pump was the biggest. Lots to learn, lots to adjust, work out how your body uses the insulin 24/7 as its different every hour, food absorption into carbs also varies over the day and night.

I did have days where I had to work on my basal's and found this hard too (still have those days but much easier). It maybe took my around 3 months before I felt at home with the pump, but, its the best thing I ever did and would never go back to a pen (except for emergencies).

:) I'm ready to stick with it, thanks for the motivation not to give up on the pump.

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for your reply. The 3 month mark seems to feature a lot with regards to pumping! Appreciate everyone's advice regarding personal experiences I wouldn't go back either! Fantastic not having to chase my insulin like I constantly did on MDI's! Even my waistline is starting to benefit too!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had my pump for three months. I've had Type 1 since 1967. My hb1ac has gone from 9 to 6.2 in the three months. I found I had to go slowly with my targets. I set my original target blood sugar at 140, then once I got that, 120, then 90. And at the last change I narrowed the range I was using. I have been testing around six times a day. I had to stop and check my "estimates" of carbs I was eating. They were quite far out and presumably have been for years. So, even after years and years of diabetes, it was like starting over (without the fear and resentment, fortunately). Now I am focusing on limiting my average deviation over the day - no peaks and troughs. I had to be quite firm with my endocrinologist, who seemed to want perfection in a month! I knew it would take longer. But I am very, very pleased. I haven't even started using many of the features of the pump yet - "patterns" etc. The single best thing is the bolus wizard, for me, and the ability to suspend it when I am exercising it. TBRs are great too. But don't rush. It will take time. My second month was a nightmare of peaks and troughs as I found out how all my regular and irregular habits affected my blood sugar. Actually, Now I have got most of that down, I am really enjoying it!

Reactions: 5 people