Diabetes.co.uk

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Mike read it again.....are there qualified experts giving advice here? No it's patients telling patients....

Is it a valuable service....judging by the comments yes it is (note the exact wording service vs advice) I myself feel it's good to exchange information with other patients.....

Wouldn't it be great if there were some academics here that could step in and say things like....well studies have shown that if u do this then that or the danger is bla bla bla, but as this ain't a charity it will never happen so we will continue to help each other tap in the dark.

Why do we need expert advice? If I followed my qualified dietitian's advice, I would be very ill. I choose to manage my own condition by taking on board the advice of the good people here who live with diabetes. This forum is a great resource regardless of the owner's agenda.

We know what's best for our own bodies. A bit like when you came off oral medication when your qualified doctor suggested you just reduce it. You didn't need expert advice then, just a instinct that you were doing the right thing. You can't get that from academic studies :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/am-i-doing-the-right-thing.58457/

Reactions: 5 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
ok so someone comes on here and says....the latest bestest treatment is a dash of arsenic with blueberries....and I bet u someone here will hop on and try it....thats when u need an expert, or alternatively....how long have we been given metformin....since the sixties....is there something better? Has the rest of the world moved on and we have stayed behind...thats when i would like to see an expert, independant and paid for by this site, pop up and say....you know the latest treatment is xyz and to hell with what Nice and the NHS says.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
the forum did mange to get questions and answers ? from Dr Hilary Jones, but what I can gather it was a bit of a flop, but maybe others would be able to comment on the Q & A's regarding diabetes care.
ps Arsenic and Blueberries,:eek: not a good combination and rather a little flippant:oops: we are diabetics, not brain dead :rolleyes: :cool:

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 12 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok so someone comes on here and says....the latest bestest treatment is a dash of arsenic with blueberries....and I bet u someone here will hop on and try it....thats when u need an expert, or alternatively....how long have we been given metformin....since the sixties....is there something better? Has the rest of the world moved on and we have stayed behind...thats when i would like to see an expert, independant and paid for by this site, pop up and say....you know the latest treatment is xyz and to hell with what Nice and the NHS says.
There are already "experts" out there. They can't make their mind up either. There are experts that say statins are great, there are experts who reckon they're the work of the devil and wouldn't go near them. There are dietary experts that also disagree on basics. That's the trouble with experts, they differ in opinion. So, if there was a paid expert here, that in no way gets you the best information. People use this forum because the information is real, not learned from a book or study. You get real life experience. Yes, you'll still get different opinions but that's life. I do have issues with the money making side of this forum and sometimes feel good advice is occasionally ignored for fear of upsetting certain sponsors but an on site expert is not the answer.

Reactions: 7 people
C

catherinecherub

There are experts and then there are experts.
Who decides who the expert should be and will the expert be biased?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the forum did mange to get questions and answers ? from Dr Hilary Jones, but what I can gather it was a bit of a flop, but maybe others would be able to comment on the Q & A's regarding diabetes care.
ps Arsenic and Blueberries,:eek: not a good combination and rather a little flippant:oops: we are diabetics, not brain dead :rolleyes: :cool:

Best wishes RRB
Now you tell me ! I've just had raspberries and arsenic on toast ! ( joking )

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Now you tell me ! I've just had raspberries and arsenic on toast ! ( joking )

I should hope not, thats sacrilege to the wonderful raspberry.:mad: But seriously....................

Unfortunately one medical professional will say yes this (ie diet ) and has tested it out, and is marvellous and the way to go. Another medical professional on the other side of the world, will say a resounding NO, seen that on a programme hosted by Michael Mosley last year ( was it fat's?) it's just :wacky: and :arghh::bag: at times.

It would seem so many NHS guidelines are in the dark ages, also money costs, and what works for me, will not work for another Type 1's diabetes management and control. Sorry for the, 'here we go again' but we are ALL so different.

RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I bet nobody would hop on that, because it's patently stupid. I still don't understand what you're going on about. And why are you saying that metformin is the best treatment type 2 diabetes? Based on what? You really shouldn't be giving medical advice since you are not an expert.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Did you know that arsenic is used in homeopathy? :wacky:

No rowan I didn't :confused: only in the olden days and in Cigarettes, yes :eek: but that's probably another thread, an interesting one too :)

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Best wishes RRB

You're right, RRB - Blueberries play havoc with my BS levels ;)

On a serious note and in reply to the various posts by the OP, I like this site precisely because it gives me a chance to discuss things with the real experts - people who have had Diabetes for years and who have a lifetime of valuable, hard earned, experiences to share.

If it hadn't been for this site, I would have blindly followed the NHS standard advice and there is no way I would have got my diabetes under control. I know that for a fact because even now if I eat more than 30g of carbs a day my blood sugar shoots up and stays up - where would I have been with 150g+ of carbs a day? Probably on more tablets and still very ill!

Reactions: 4 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I dont hold a grudge if they make a living caring for the sick.....the issue here is a bit different....there is a charity called Diabetes UK.ORG which is a not for profit organisation. Then there is this site here called diabetes.co.uk which is talking the talk and walking the walk but someone is making money from it....if people are aware of it then thats fine, after all they do provide a service, but I think most of the members here are not aware that the one is a charity with the pure intention of helping diabetics and the other is a clone making money on the back of our illness....

again if the facts are known and you are ok with it then cool....but if not then its a bit deceitful imo.

Here's a thing
diabetes uk.org is a charity true ,but like most charitable institutions they make money too.
They own not one but three registered companies, employed just over three hundred people full time and paid out somewhere in the region of twelve million in wages.
Do I begrudge that not at all because of the research grants etc that they give and the work that they do in raising awareness of diabetes.
Of the three hundred plus people employed by them I wonder what proportion are diabetic ? And if they are not are you going to accuse them of making money off of the backs of our illness too.

Now forgetting the forum for a moment this place diabetes.co.uk gives out a lot of useful information too they make it clear that they are not affiliated with diabetesuk.org and have never tried to solicit money from me in any shape or form so for them to be able to run their website do I mind them having a shop or having adverts no not at all. If I minded I would go elsewhere nobody's forcing me to stay.

The forum side of things I see this as a support structure if I wanted real medical advice I'd take myself off to the Drs but if I need a little advice from like minded people who live with our condition every day then I come here.

Sorry for the ramble folks

Reactions: 10 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a thing
diabetes uk.org is a charity true ,but like most charitable institutions they make money too.
They own not one but three registered companies, employed just over three hundred people full time and paid out somewhere in the region of twelve million in wages.
Do I begrudge that not at all because of the research grants etc that they give and the work that they do in raising awareness of diabetes.
Of the three hundred plus people employed by them I wonder what proportion are diabetic ? And if they are not are you going to accuse them of making money off of the backs of our illness too.

Now forgetting the forum for a moment this place diabetes.co.uk gives out a lot of useful information too they make it clear that they are not affiliated with diabetesuk.org and have never tried to solicit money from me in any shape or form so for them to be able to run their website do I mind them having a shop or having adverts no not at all. If I minded I would go elsewhere nobody's forcing me to stay.

The forum side of things I see this as a support structure if I wanted real medical advice I'd take myself off to the Drs but if I need a little advice from like minded people who live with our condition every day then I come here.

And that Sancho is perfectly ok...if people are aware of the situation re .co.uk and .org fine....and if people are aware that advice dished out here is from layman to layman then thats cool....my issue is that it is very easily mixed up....my doc sent me to this site...I am sure (and I will ask him) if he knew the situation he would send me to the .org site....

I am also aware that the .org site makes money, the difference being that they have to reinvest their profits into their charity where as the Singh Panasar family can decide to do with theirs what they like....and even that is ok....if people understand the situation.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Then I don't understand why you have been so difficult about this? It seems that you are in line with many people and that your doctor is either much better than most, pointing you here, or much like most and has little idea about the Internet and Web addresses.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Then I don't understand why you have been so difficult about this? It seems that you are in line with many people and that your doctor is either much better than most, pointing you here, or much like most and has little idea about the Internet and Web addresses.
Mmm I wonder if he is an idiot re websites or getting kick backs???? Does that answer your question?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have found the simplest way to deal with a question like that is to ask the GP directly, which I did in relation to insulin choices. That will tell you more than speculating indirectly on the forum!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Here's a thing

No rambling at all and so true though :cool: I don't have another adult here, haven't done for many years and I can't and wont put my diabetes concerns/worries/problems upon my teenager. I am so glad to be part of a forum and in particular this one, it gives us all an outlet to discuss, moan and debate diabetes issues or just natter about the everyday trials and tribulations. It's a thumbs up from me, in that respect :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Mmm I wonder if he is an idiot re websites or getting kick backs???? Does that answer your question?
Aaah! So THAT's why you're being so difficult about this!! It all makes sense now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Brightside, next time ,why don't you just ask him, and see what he says or whether he can't answer because of the shock by being dumbfounded :wideyed: ;)

Last edited by a moderator: