Afrezza inhaled fast acting insulin

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Sam is type 1. He says he feels like an entirely different person. He no longer feels sick. Zero cough. Zero lows, no fear of lows anymore.

Reactions: 2 people

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The need to carb count is cut waaay back.. See all the people in the USA who support that.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Even Alfred Mann says that it is necessary to carb count as a type 1. The insulin action is quite interesting:

76e468205614a7e279293a71f032e313.jpg

4bc7346e90b2b88d53ce887c85862475.jpg

As you'd expect it is rapidly absorbed and is flushed through relatively quickly, probably by virtue of it being a monomer rather than a hexamer. Having said that, my experiences with the current fast acting is that I don't see the result of them still being in my blood beyond 3.5 hours.

Whilst Sam may be a wonderful case study, there were 2000 people on the trials and I don't believe it was wonderful for all of them...

I'm afraid I'm very much a cynic when I see something like this having claims made about it from someone who appears to be promoting the product.

Having said that, I will always put myself forward to trial something like this. Who knows how real it is...?

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Even Alfred Mann says that it is necessary to carb count as a type 1. The insulin action is quite interesting:

You are right that it is a monomer. You are dead wrong about Sam Finta. He does not promote at all. He is one who will help anyone towards a better life in diabetes, with no bias other than to assist. I can't begin to say all I have researched on this subject in the last 1 1/2 years - untold amounts of reading and studying. You are at day 1 of learning about Afrezza and it will take awhile for you to learn about it also. The clinical trials did not allow patients to use Afrezza at the correct time in relation to meals , so the trials gave much poorer results than what someone can get in the real world. Read all the other ones who are on Afrezzauser's site also. After it being on the US market one month, there are no reported lows.

76e468205614a7e279293a71f032e313.jpg

4bc7346e90b2b88d53ce887c85862475.jpg

As you'd expect it is rapidly absorbed and is flushed through relatively quickly, probably by virtue of it being a monomer rather than a hexamer. Having said that, my experiences with the current fast acting is that I don't see the result of them still being in my blood beyond 3.5 hours.

Whilst Sam may be a wonderful case study, there were 2000 people on the trials and I don't believe it was wonderful for all of them...

I'm afraid I'm very much a cynic when I see something like this having claims made about it from someone who appears to be promoting the product.

Having said that, I will always put myself forward to trial something like this. Who knows how real it is...?

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Yes, carb count, but if you see all who are taking Afrezza now , they don't have to the way they used to. Afrezza is not as critical with that as injectables are. ALL are saying that. Of course Al Mann will say to carb count. It is intelligent for anyone to do that. That is NOT the point. The point is on injectables you must carb count VERY CAREFULLY and calculate how much of your injectable you need.
AND how often do you go high because you have missed on the carb counting ??? Be honest with yourself now. With Afrezza there is none of that worry. It is very forgiving when you use it.
It is rolling waves, no big valleys and peaks anymore.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Makes no sense to me. The minimum dose is apparently 4 units. But I am Type 1 with high sensitivity. My maximum dose is 6units. I use a pump because I can administer fractions of a unit. This looks like a big step backwards to me.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Makes no sense to me. The minimum dose is apparently 4 units. But I am Type 1 with high sensitivity. My maximum dose is 6units. I use a pump because I can administer fractions of a unit. This looks like a big step backwards to me.

I am not a doctor but have studied Afrezza in detail for a long time. I do know this -- one unit of Afrezza does not equal one unit of any injectable. The pharmakinetics are entirely different. I understand your question well and will do my best to have the answer for you soon from those who are in the medical field in the USA and are prescribing it.
I can only speculate by logic on your question - I attempted 4 times and deleted my answers, and can't say more as I am not an endocrinologist. I am afraid I would say something incorrect. I am going to get your answer though. Back to you as soon as I find out.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's odd. It's just come out of trials. How did you study it for a long time? Anyway, it won't affect most people in the UK until NICE gives approval, if it ever does, so there's not much point in "pushing " it.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It has been in trials and in the N. American news for 10 years now. A person could easily access the huge number of articles about it and see live webcasts of Mannkind's quarterly reports to see the progress of Afrezza, and this I did. In the last year there have been literally 100's of articles out on Afrezza. The only issue is to sift through it all and figure out who knows what they are talking about. Way before the approval, I also saw live on webcast the FDA responses to questions asked by the public to their chosen panel of experts. At this point , it was voted 14 Yes out of 14 for Type 1 and 13 Yes and 1 no for type 2 .
I am not able to write all I have learned on the topic as I would be here for a week. I will do my best to answer any questions you have though.

It will be in the UK. Phase 3 clinical trials are underway now. It will get approval for the UK and they have based their studies on the US information .
I have little doubt that it will be available for you. The issue is not whether or not it will get approval. The issue is where will it be manufactured for the UK ? Sanofi is working on all this now.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Not the answer you are looking for yet, but further explanation on how Afrezza works.-
Afrezza delivers first phase insulin, meaning insulin in the first 15 minutes of delivery which in turn suppresses hepatic glucose production lowering fasting glucose in the am and also post meal glucose.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
go to: WebMD Afrezza ratings and see how diabetics like Afrezza.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@mountainman, are you at all affiliated with MannKind or Sanofi?

You've been a member for 16 hours and have only promoted afrezza.

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I think it sounds promising mountain man! Especially as the guy who invented it, also invented the pump, and that seems to be common practise for a lot of people now. Keep up your research, I find it insightful and interesting .

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mountainman, are you a person with T1, an investor with Mannkind ? If you have T1 and are genuinely impressed with the very preliminary results, then I apologise.
I ask because
a) investors were spamming Tu diabetes forum.
There is a 53 page thread on that forum. In that thread, there are certainly contributions from both investors wanting to see a return on their investment so hyping the product and genuine diabetics trying it out .It is far too early to see any considered response from these latter since Alrezza was only released to the US market in February.
(you can of course be both investor and PWD Jenny Ruhl who many on here know of writes a post on the Tu diabetes thread saying that she was once herself an investor but has sold it, partly because of the conflict of interest and undoubtedly there are others who invested because they were diabetic. )
b) There was a mention of this practice here: http://seekingalpha.com/article/2902656-mannkind-investors-dont-screw-up-the-afrezza-launch
c) A person with a username Mountainman has been a member of the Mannkind investors board since 2013

I'm very interested to read how genuine PWD get on with Alfrezza . If it can work as flexibly as a pump then it may be a great replacement/alternative . I'd far rather not have to sort out genuine experiences from advertising though. For me the latter is in fact counterproductive and makes me far more likely to dismiss the product alongside all those other 'miracle cures and treatments'

If you have T1, why don't you introduce yourself. Tell us about what your lifestyle and insulin regime was like and how Afrezza has helped.

Reactions: 10 people

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mountainman, are you a person with T1, an investor with Mannkind ? If you have T1 and are genuinely impressed with the very preliminary results, then I apologise.
I ask because
a) investors were spamming Tu diabetes forum.
There is a 53 page thread on that forum. In that thread, there are certainly contributions from both investors wanting to see a return on their investment so hyping the product and genuine diabetics trying it out .It is far too early to see any considered response from these latter since Alrezza was only released to the US market in February.
(you can of course be both investor and PWD Jenny Ruhl who many on here know of writes a post on the Tu diabetes thread saying that she was once herself an investor but has sold it, partly because of the conflict of interest and undoubtedly there are others who invested because they were diabetic. )
b) There was a mention of this practice here: http://seekingalpha.com/article/2902656-mannkind-investors-dont-screw-up-the-afrezza-launch
c) A person with a username Mountainman has been a member of the Mannkind investors board since 2013

I'm very interested to read how genuine PWD get on with Alfrezza . If it can work as flexibly as a pump then it may be a great replacement/alternative . I'd far rather not have to sort out genuine experiences from advertising though. For me the latter is in fact counterproductive and makes me far more likely to dismiss the product alongside all those other 'miracle cures and treatments'

If you have T1, why don't you introduce yourself. Tell us about what your lifestyle and insulin regime was like and how Afrezza has helped.
Ooh I say...that changes things a bit...I hope you are genuine MMan.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@phoenix Well said. I've been doing some digging on the web to try and verify the claims that have been spammed by @mountainman . So far all I can find are the afrezzauser blog (which seems to be Sam) and a couple of other users. There is precious little evidence from PWD about using the product and there is very clear evidence in the FDA trials (which Afrezza failed twice) that the product can have a side effect on lungs.

From an investment perspective, sales of Afrezza have been disappointing in the first month on general release in the US (hence the investor spamming that has been seen) and analysts have downgraded the performance of MannKind, making the stock less attractive.

I can find no negative feedback from any PWD on Afrezza, probably due to some form of NDA signed when undertaking the market trials, so the positive evidence is currently, in my view, still marketing.

There is a currently a phase three clinical trial in operation in the UK and Europe, and we may see further information come about from that later this year.

So while the story looks wonderful, the information that is out there is still, in my view, falling into the "Propaganda" category as there is no negative coverage whatsoever. And that is simply not normal.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If an investor is or was spamming this forum for any kind of drug, it would be a shortsighted waste of their time. Seeing that most members here are in the UK, and therefore have limited ability to purchase anyway :rolleyes:

I have my own concerns about Afrezza, and am still dubious about claimed for new "Wonderdrugs " as I've seen it all before :rolleyes:.

Signy

Reactions: 6 people