Afrezza inhaled fast acting insulin

iHs

Im grateful for this thread and for mountainman's msgs about Afreeza. For many diabetics in the UK who dont like using MDI bolus/basal because of all the injections, then an oral insulin that can just be sprayed into the mouth cavity and work extremely quickly, will be a must have. As it is, a lot of diabetics are now using twice daily insulin and as long as they dont mind moderating the amount of carb that they eat, the insulin works fairly well and doesnt get in the way of having a reasonably good lifestyle. For those who dont want to modify their carb intake and eat the same as someone who doesnt have diabetes, then its bolus/basal, a pump or say your prayers hope that a wonderous cure will manifest.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with you IHS on the potential of this medication. It may well be a useful drug for the people you mention and also for T2s.
As you probably realise I'm not a great believer in big Pharma conspiracies. Quite simply, new drugs and many research trials won't take place without the necessary investment and funding but nevertheless, I do like openness and disclosure of any interests

Reactions: 4 people

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@mountainman, are you at all affiliated with MannKind or Sanofi?

You've been a member for 16 hours and have only promoted afrezza.

I have zero affiliation with either of them. I simply have interest in this subject as it is about the same as the first invention of the first insulin - that is how different Afrezza is from all other things on the market. With medical people in the family, I grew up listening to this every day, always about the latest in medical findings.
Afrezza is so unique and stands alone in its sector currently. There is no other inhaled medication for diabetes in the world. Aside from that, what it accomplishes for the diabetic is beyond their expectations . In the field of medical science, a person would be hard pressed to come up with a medication that the patients feel changes their lives for the better to this degree. It is my opinion that we are in the making of history here.
I can talk about Lantus ,Metformin or CGM's if you like, but I can't say anything on these subjects that hasn't been said 10,000 times already.

The idea of Afrezza is that in time, I feel very much that there will still be MUCH LESS talk about any form of pill or injectable for diabetes in the future because this will be old technology. It will still be necessary to have these other medications, but to a much , much smaller degree.
I have been reading how endocrinologists feel about Afrezza - this is a paradigm shift in the world of diabetes. The only ones who will be upset are the makers of all injectables and the syringes as they will be losing market share. Already in the last few months there is a big increase in commercials everywhere in N. America from diabetic medical companies - they are in fear of what will happen to their main money makers, as they watch their profits dwindle.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Im grateful for this thread and for mountainman's msgs about Afreeza. For many diabetics in the UK who dont like using MDI bolus/basal because of all the injections, then an oral insulin that can just be sprayed into the mouth cavity and work extremely quickly, will be a must have. As it is, a lot of diabetics are now using twice daily insulin and as long as they dont mind moderating the amount of carb that they eat, the insulin works fairly well and doesnt get in the way of having a reasonably good lifestyle. For those who dont want to modify their carb intake and eat the same as someone who doesnt have diabetes, then its bolus/basal, a pump or say your prayers hope that a wonderous cure will manifest.

That's the thing - with Afrezza pretty much all fear is taken away as you realize that you don't have to worry any longer about a high and it is MUCH harder to go into a low. It equalizes the BG so that there are smooth , rolling waves. Not my words, but those of Sam FInta, Afrezzauser in the USA, says it is as though you are on an airplane and you know that with Afrezza as the pilot you will have smooth landings only.
Can you imagine when it is approved for children how the parents will feel, to not have to get up 4 times/night to see if their child is in a coma ?? Can you imagine not having to carry as many snacks and juice with you because you realize you are NOT going to go into a low because Afrezza does not make your BG dive ?? Can you imagine not having to add up every single carb to figure out your dose of injectable, but with Afrezza only average it because it will work great like that ? This is ONLY what I see. If I come across anyone with a bad experience, I will tell you, but there are none yet.

Inventor of Afrezza , Alfred Mann, did much more for humanity than invent this and the insulin pump. He is BIG in medical devices - a cochlear implant so people can hear , another for eyes, and that is only the recent part of what this man has done. He deserves a Nobel prize for his work to lessen the suffering of people. Google the accomplishments of Alfred Mann and you will be stunned. I wish I had 1/10th of his knowledge and drive.

Again, the only people upset are the ones who make the injectable insulin and all pills for diabetes. They know they are going down and don't know what to do about it. In fact , I see other articles every week, written by those on Wall Street , the financial capital of New York City, and it is principally terrible lies as they attempt to push the whole Mannkind company down so they can save the big guys in Pharmaceuticals. These articles are so bogus and obvious that they work for hedge Funds it is sickening. So, in view of that, expect to see articles written by this group and therein lies the importance of knowing abut the science of Afrezza ahead of time, to be able to sift through to the information that is true.

Reactions: 2 people

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Im grateful for this thread and for mountainman's msgs about Afreeza. For many diabetics in the UK who dont like using MDI bolus/basal because of all the injections, then an oral insulin that can just be sprayed into the mouth cavity and work extremely quickly, will be a must have. As it is, a lot of diabetics are now using twice daily insulin and as long as they dont mind moderating the amount of carb that they eat, the insulin works fairly well and doesn't get in the way of having a reasonably good lifestyle. For those who dont want to modify their carb intake and eat the same as someone who doesn't have diabetes, then its bolus/basal, a pump or say your prayers hope that a wonderous cure will manifest.

The main difference I see about using Afrezza is everyone who is using it now and comments on it says their life is sooo much better with it. The words you use such as "a reasonably good lifestyle" and "insulin that works fairly well" are not used by Afrezza patients. They are saying they feel SO MUCH BETTER with Afrezza that it is changing their lives. The terrible highs and lows are gone because if you notice you are going into a high you can cut it off and be back at normal in a half hour. No injectable can do that.

Afrezza is not sprayed into the mouth. It is inhaled into the lungs. One drops the cartridge into the inhaler, exhales, then inhales deeply and holds their breathe for a few seconds.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ooh I say...that changes things a bit...I hope you are genuine MMan.

I have no knowledge of any Mountainman on some finance site. I climb mountains, simple as that.
This is typical actually of why I spend so much time in the mountains, such negativism I don't need. Do you now understand why I spend so much time in the mountains ? I have a simple goal in my life, to work hard and inbetween that, help others . We all could use that lesson.
I find Afrezza to be a genuine leap forward and want to tell others about this drug that is of such great benefit as compared to all other diabetes medications. There is no other agenda there. Please find someone else to bother with having to defend themselves when they are trying to help.

Actually, that is exactly what happens to most really new ideas - it is disbelieved, it is made fun of, it is rejected because people have a hard time to open their minds and change. They go only with what they know and the current "standard of care." Well, the current standard of care is going out the window within the next few years. Why not get on track now with a healthier life for us all ?? I see no sense in waiting. Doing further damage to the body, as a diabetic, is the furthest thing from my mind. Looking for ways to level the BG and therefore lead a better, longer and safer life is all that matters.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no knowledge of any Mountainman on some finance site. I climb mountains, simple as that.
This is typical actually of why I spend so much time in the mountains, such negativism I don't need. Do you now understand why I spend so much time in the mountains ? I have a simple goal in my life, to work hard and inbetween that, help others . We all could use that lesson.
I find Afrezza to be a genuine leap forward and want to tell others about this drug that is of such great benefit as compared to all other diabetes medications. There is no other agenda there. Please find someone else to bother with having to defend themselves when they are trying to help.

Actually, that is exactly what happens to most really new ideas - it is disbelieved, it is made fun of, it is rejected because people have a hard time to open their minds and change. They go only with what they know and the current "standard of care." Well, the current standard of care is going out the window within the next few years. Why not get on track now with a healthier life for us all ?? I see no sense in waiting. Doing further damage to the body, as a diabetic, is the furthest thing from my mind. Looking for ways to level the BG and therefore lead a better, longer and safer life is all that matters.

And that is admirable.

But the fact still remains that there are none of us in the UK who have any say in what is acccepted for use and is validated for prescription by NICE. Even if there were borders we could cross to obtain it, I suspect that the cost would be too much for most of us. And cost and effectiveness is what NICE will be taking into consideration.

I agree, it is good to be aware of new innovations and treatments, and I would hazard all of us would love a treatment that made life easier , if a total cure is not yet available. But whatever treatment gets through the process, it will not be suitable for all. For example, Afrezza is not recommended for those who have respiratory conditions such as asthma, or are, or have been, smokers. It is also no suitable for those who micro dose with insulin.

I'm somewhat reminded of the fuss made when Lantus was launched by Sanofi, and human insulins were hailed as far superior to porcine and bovine. In reality, they just didn't suit everyone, and further down the line problems were highlighted that did not , or were not , seen in the clinical trials.

" Why not get on track now with a healthier life for us all?? I see no sense in waiting."

It truly isn't as simple as that. Even if people here wanted to try Afrezza,that option is not as yet open to them. In the meantime though, " getting on track" is exactly what folks on here are trying to do, with the technologies and lifestyle choices that are currently available to them. And doing very well indeed, some of them :)

Signy

Reactions: 8 people

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And that is admirable.

But the fact still remains that there are none of us in the UK who have any say in what is acccepted for use and is validated for prescription by NICE. Even if there were borders we could cross to obtain it, I suspect that the cost would be too much for most of us. And cost and effectiveness is what NICE will be taking into consideration.

I agree, it is good to be aware of new innovations and treatments, and I would hazard all of us would love a treatment that made life easier , if a total cure is not yet available. But whatever treatment gets through the process, it will not be suitable for all. For example, Afrezza is not recommended for those who have respiratory conditions such as asthma, or are, or have been, smokers. It is also no suitable for those who micro dose with insulin.

I'm somewhat reminded of the fuss made when Lantus was launched by Sanofi, and human insulins were hailed as far superior to porcine and bovine. In reality, they just didn't suit everyone, and further down the line problems were highlighted that did not , or were not , seen in the clinical trials.

" Why not get on track now with a healthier life for us all?? I see no sense in waiting."

It truly isn't as simple as that. Even if people here wanted to try Afrezza,that option is not as yet open to them. In the meantime though, " getting on track" is exactly what folks on here are trying to do, with the technologies and lifestyle choices that are currently available to them. And doing very well indeed, some of them :)

Signy
And that is admirable.

Signy

You're so right. Diabetes care is complicated, not simple. That is the reason to try to simplify it. Do I want diabetes ? No, no one does, but given the chance to have freedom from as much concern and worry about it is priceless.
I don't know how much say people have in the UK towards getting a chance to speak before those who decide whether or not a drug will be approved. I only know the process in N. America where an individual can speak before the Food and Drug Administration if they ask and are reasonable with their request in the way that they are knowledgeable about the subject. This matters a lot, to know how patients feel who were in the trials, to hear from medical professionals about how their patients may have been asking for the drug. If the public in the UK has no opportunity to speak on behalf of a life altering medication, I am truly sorry as that is not fair to the ones who need the medication.

Remember, all injectables do not compare to Afrezza. The pharmakinetics are entirely different . Afrezza is in a class by itself right now. I know, hard to believe. You will see in another year or two as Afrezza goes into the world. It is not advertised in the USA yet as that is the law there, no advertising at the beginning of launch. ALso, Sanofi is just now going out with their representatives to inform the MD's about Afrezza. It is not good to advertise before the doctors even know about it. It is called a "soft launch" and will gear up to Full launch within a couple months. The only Rx's out there have been due to word of mouth by regular people.

iHs

The main difference I see about using Afrezza is everyone who is using it now and comments on it says their life is sooo much better with it. The words you use such as "a reasonably good lifestyle" and "insulin that works fairly well" are not used by Afrezza patients. They are saying they feel SO MUCH BETTER with Afrezza that it is changing their lives. The terrible highs and lows are gone because if you notice you are going into a high you can cut it off and be back at normal in a half hour. No injectable can do that.

Afrezza is not sprayed into the mouth. It is inhaled into the lungs. One drops the cartridge into the inhaler, exhales, then inhales deeply and holds their breathe for a few seconds.

Hi

I appreciate that Afreeza will be absorbed through the back of the throat and then to the lungs as people inhale through their mouth but the mouth cavity is still used.

Some time ago, I had the pleasure of being able to use Generex Oralyn as a friend got hold of it for me in India. Oralyn worked fairly well and was absorbed very quickly meaning less of it was needed. Its downside was that it didnt taste that good so a few sprays to eat food also meant swallowing a few mouthfulls of coffee or tea. In appearance, it looked just like a Becotide asthma inhaler so not at all big. It never got FDA approival or CE approval either but none the less, it did work, which for me, was amazing. Thankfully nowadays, I use a pump instead of bolus/basal multi jabs but there could well come a time when I wont be able to use infusion sets anymore because of absorption issues so not sure what insulin regime I will change to but before that happens, I hope that I will be able to use the artificial pancreas for a while

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

I appreciate that Afreeza will be absorbed through the back of the throat and then to the lungs as people inhale through their mouth but the mouth cavity is still used.

Some time ago, I had the pleasure of being able to use Generex Oralyn as a friend got hold of it for me in India. Oralyn worked fairly well and was absorbed very quickly meaning less of it was needed. Its downside was that it didnt taste that good so a few sprays to eat food also meant swallowing a few mouthfulls of coffee or tea. In appearance, it looked just like a Becotide asthma inhaler so not at all big. It never got FDA approival or CE approval either but none the less, it did work, which for me, was amazing. Thankfully nowadays, I use a pump instead of bolus/basal multi jabs but there could well come a time when I wont be able to use infusion sets anymore because of absorption issues so not sure what insulin regime I will change to but before that happens, I hope that I will be able to use the artificial pancreas for a while

Oralyn is one I have never heard of. I am pleased that you were able to get it and try that. I guess they figured out some things about it that warranted it not getting approval. Sorry for you about that.
I like that the inhaler for Afrezza is disposable every two weeks, then you use a new one. Easy to load, no chance for error. Afrezza has No TASTE.
Food tastes like food , which matters since Afrezza is used at the beginning of the meal, or 5 minutes before, depending or where your BG sits. if you are a bit low, Afrezza is used a few minutes into the meal. If you are a touch high, use Afrezza a few minutes BEFORE the meal.

Keep in touch and I will let you know over time about any negatives reported for Afrezza. I am still waiting to hear from others about their experiences with it .
My work has to take precedence a lot , so sorry if I disappear from here for days at a time.

iHs

Oralyn is one I have never heard of. I am pleased that you were able to get it and try that. I guess they figured out some things about it that warranted it not getting approval. Sorry for you about that.
I like that the inhaler for Afrezza is disposable every two weeks, then you use a new one. Easy to load, no chance for error. Afrezza has No TASTE.
Food tastes like food , which matters since Afrezza is used at the beginning of the meal, or 5 minutes before, depending or where your BG sits. if you are a bit low, Afrezza is used a few minutes into the meal. If you are a touch high, use Afrezza a few minutes BEFORE the meal.

Keep in touch and I will let you know over time about any negatives reported for Afrezza. I am still waiting to hear from others about their experiences with it .
My work has to take precedence a lot , so sorry if I disappear from here for days at a time.

http://investor.generex.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=735258

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's not a case of people being able to stand up and shout at NICE. They have a process whereby clinical trials have to be undertaken and demonstrable results that generate outcomes that are better than the currently available options have to be shown. This is especially important for treatments that cost more than the incumbent solutions as the state pays for all diabetic medication.

On that basis, the outcome of the phase 3 trials is extremely important.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So they are not allowed to advertise for 6 months - looks like that are paying for people to do SEO on diabetic forums.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's not a case of people being able to stand up and shout at NICE. They have a process whereby clinical trials have to be undertaken and demonstrable results that generate outcomes that are better than the currently available options have to be shown. This is especially important for treatments that cost more than the incumbent solutions as the state pays for all diabetic medication.

On that basis, the outcome of the phase 3 trials is extremely important.

Thank you for the explanations. The outcome oft he trials here also matters immensely.
What was decided in the US was that with so much less concern for hypos if Afrezza is used , there will be considerable less cases at the hospitals. Instead of the Emergency room filled with yet another diabetic hypo or hyper case, which is what happens now, the hospital costs will be way down, saving the state a lot of $ that way. Also, since Afrezza causes no weight gain or significantly less, it is anticipated that obesity will be less of an issue in this sector of the population - plus the complications that go with obesity, so over time again, hospitals may realize greater savings by far.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The key point in the US though is that medical insurance pays the cost. So there is no value for money measurement.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So they are not allowed to advertise for 6 months - looks like that are paying for people to do SEO on diabetic forums.

No, not allowed.
No problem . People are more excited about this medication than anything else that has ever hit the market, including all medications in any field. I have been hearing for a couple weeks that the news of Afrezza will go viral because it's helping in ways that have never been seen. The diabetic population of the US alone is 30 million - that's a lot of talking that is starting. Just wait until they all find out. This was the reason for the controlled launch of Afrezza. Sanofi and Mannkind had to be sure they could keep up with demand. On the manufacturing side of things, when producing for a chronic illness where the medication is required at all times, the company has to be super sure they will NOT RUN OUT . The plant in Danbury, Connecticut is about to have FDA approval of additional lines . They work there 24/7 in production.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You know it's against the rules of this forum to register in order to advertise a product. How do we flag a board/post for modding?

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You know it's against the rules of this forum to register in order to advertise a product. How do we flag a board/post for modding?

It is inappropriate for anyone to use my excitement about this and accuse me of such things. I know nothing about advertising. No education in that at all. I am excited and maybe you need to be also.

Reactions: 1 person

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
It would be nice to hear from type1 who actually use Afrezza,not just marketing talk.I am sure if it is as good as has stated,we would of all heard about it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It would be nice to hear from type1 who actually use Afrezza,not just marketing talk.I am sure if it is as good as has stated,we would of all heard about it.
I agree. This is the one thing I am missing in relation to all the posts on here. There is "afrezzauser", a marketing pwd, and then there is little else on the Web to either agree or disagree with mountain man.

Whilst the idea is marvellous, I'd like to here from at least two or three others of the 2000 or so people involved in the clinical trials.