Worst place....

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
@kevinfitzgerald The unhappy tree? I've missed that story somehow, also any mention of the police - has it been deleted or is it in another thread?
If you (like me) have a book's worth of amusing hypo anecdotes please do add them here! :happy:

Hello there,

Quite new to the forum like yourself mangobe. Still finding my feet with it. Don't even know how you tag in to someone!
It was in Type 1 Diabetes - What are your hypo symptoms. But it does seem to have disappeared Must have got deleted somehow!
Never mind I have loads of them and shall add a few more in the week. Basically I got lost and ended up hugging a tree in Swiss Cottage.. I think someone thought I was assaulting it! Police picked me up and sorted me out. In a good way!

KevFitz

Reactions: 8 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
It's weird how some hypos I can feel coming on but some hit you like a freight train with hardly any warning! Yesterday I was sat at work, I'd done too much bolus (unbeknown to me) for what I'd eaten and was sat quietly reading my book at my desk. Somebody came to the counter that I had to go and sort out which I did. I thought, hmm, I'm feeling a bit odd and thought, oooh I've forgotten to eat my yoghurt (which I did). Then a couple of minutes later I felt really 'spaced' out so thought, better take my BM. 2.8!!!! I must have been REALLY low before I ate the yoghurt!! Then I grabbed my jelly babies, two biscuits and a bag of crisps! Lol! Oh, then I went too high and had to give myself a further injection! Doh!

I don't really remember ever having a really bad hypo being out and about or in an embarrasing situation. My friend used to have awful hypo's and she'd be chatting away to me one minute and 'gone', totally vacant the next!! Good job she had me around to sort her out as she hardly ever got a warning when she was going low!!

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh remembered something from when i was about 11... Woke up screaming (having a hypo) when me mam came in the bedroom I said there's a snake!!!! Under the wardrobe!!! She tried to tell me the wasn't but I was adamant, had me dad moving the wardrobe at like 3am coz I defo saw the snake go under there.... Was obviously a magic snake coz it disappeared! Lol x

Reactions: 7 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypo stories - one of my favourite literary genres! ;)

I was diagnosed in 1981! Can you remember your first hypo (but not the one they deliberately give you in hospital so you know!)

KevFitz

JThomo13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one that all can remember is in the morning thinking that I'd had a weird dream in which walked into my parents bedroom said I was having a hypo eating dextrose then went back to bed. Turns out it that actually happened but I did t remember any of it

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had two round the midnight hour where the police were called. I must have been terrifying, bare foot, sweating in my little cotton nightie. That must be why it was so hard to peel the copper out of the armchair and send him on his way....... Took me years to get over the hypomnesia and realize how very much he was enjoying himself.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
School field during P.E in secondary school. I should point out that no one knew I was a diabetic, I panicked and sat on the ground and ate grass cos I thought it might raise my blood sugar and it was the only thing at hand to eat. Good enough for cows, eh? Surprisingly it seemed to work.

On the last bus of the night after working late at college, I was halfway into a 40 minute journey when I realised I didn't have my dextrose or any chocolate. All the shops were closed and anyway I didn't fancy getting off the bus at that time of night cos it would've been a long walk back. Just managed to make it home in time.

I can't remember my first, but quite a few stick in the memory. I was having a hypo on a lunch break and I was all pale and sweaty as I passed a couple walking arm in arm. They were really staring at me and as I turned back to look at them I saw the man lean in to her and say "bloody druggie". I gave him a right mouthful which I guess didn't help and change his opinion of me

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a great one a few weeks ago. I'd just finished work and was on my way to collect my car and go home when I got terribly confused as to where I was going...I ended up turning round and going back the other way three or four times before realising I was hypo. I grabbed my JB's and went to the nearest coffee shop...planning to drink coffee and sit it out. Only by the time I got to the counter...I was dangerously confused...I managed to order a coffee but paying for it became a real problem...JB's in one hand...pound coins in the other, I tried paying with JB's...that didn't work...tried eating the pound coins...that didn't work and all the while the lady behind the counter was looking at me like I was a crazy person...eventually I put coins and JB's in cupped hands and let her figure it out...she didn't comment. She recognised me a few days later and asked if I was ok, apparently she'd never witnessed anyone going hypo before and was quite intrigued by how it all works...needless to say...I gave her a brief lesson and feel happy that there is one more person with a greater understanding out there.

Reactions: 15 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am slowly - too slowly - learning to break the habits of a lifetime and ask for help when I am hypo. Being a single parent has really brought it home to me. No more self reliant heroics, no more trying to do it alone out of embarrassment or pride. My last hypo was not my worst ever, it was my "best ever" in that sense. I told the security guard I was diabetic, I needed sugar, it was an emergency, I was confused and couldn't find the drinks section, could he please get me a Coke and I would pay for it as soon as I felt ok. The guard got a manager and they found me a seat and kept an eye on me for what was probably half an hour until I felt ok and safe to continue. The point is, if you can bear to tell people you are diabetic, it's an emergency, and you need help, it can make a world of difference to the outcome. God knows those words can be hard for us to say.

Reactions: 10 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am slowly - too slowly - learning to break the habits of a lifetime and ask for help when I am hypo. Being a single parent has really brought it home to me. No more self reliant heroics, no more trying to do it alone out of embarrassment or pride. My last hypo was not my worst ever, it was my "best ever" in that sense. I told the security guard I was diabetic, I needed sugar, it was an emergency, I was confused and couldn't find the drinks section, could he please get me a Coke and I would pay for it as soon as I felt ok. The guard got a manager and they found me a seat and kept an eye on me for what was probably half an hour until I felt ok and safe to continue. The point is, if you can bear to tell people you are diabetic, it's an emergency, and you need help, it can make a world of difference to the outcome. God knows those words can be hard for us to say.
The thing I hate about asking for help is that I hate people fussing over me...maybe just that I'm not a good patient...maybe the time will come when I need help...but for the moment...as long as I can deal with it alone...I prefer to just get on with it.

Reactions: 6 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I managed a 1.9 whilst swimming last Friday night, I hadn't been feeling well but forced myself to have a swim as my 6 year old daughter was having a lesson and likes to have a swim with me first, so managed about 24 lengths and started feeling a bit shaky so did a test and came out at one of my best all time lows, ate some jb's after fumbling round with trying to open a gate the wrong way round and panicking I was going to collapse in my cossie.. Then had to tell my daughters coach I was low whilst feeling embarrassed (don't know why but hypos make me incredibly self conscious and embarrassed..) she didn't want to leave me alone but had to say I was ok just needed to sit down.. Had a good Chinese afterwards though when I came round !!

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Picture the scene - a beautiful summers day and a lovely picnic in the park with the children I was nanny to then a leisurely stroll home along Chiswick High Road........ suddenly I collapse to the floor and come round to find a lovely lady holding a bag of frozen prawns to my head, (she thought it was heat stroke) I managed to thank her and stagger to the nearest sweet shop and eat the contents.

mangobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in 1981! Can you remember your first hypo (but not the one they deliberately give you in hospital so you know!)

KevFitz
Hi @KevFitz, fellow 1981'er!
Sorry its taken me so long to reply. I've been taking a break from this forum but presume in the meanwhile you've had time to work out how to tag members with @ or invite them to start private conversations? I have already posted some stories about my first hypos at different points earlier in this thread, but I wasn't diagnosed in the UK and never had the 'pleasure' of an induced hypo. In fact I never had hypos at all until I lost all warning symptoms in 1995 (have previously posted some comments on that too)

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mangobe. Can I ask, what would you call a 'warning symptom' if you never had hypos before 1995? I personally think that when most people talk about 'warning' symptoms they are already in hypo territory but just not that bad. Very few of us can actually predict a hypo.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry its taken me so long to reply. I've been taking a break from this forum but presume in the meanwhile you've had time to work out how to tag members with @ or invite them to start private conversations? I have already posted some stories about my first hypos at different points earlier in this thread, but I wasn't diagnosed in the UK and never had the 'pleasure' of an induced hypo. In fact I never had hypos at all until I lost all warning symptoms in 1995 (have previously posted some comments on that too)

Hello there Mangobe,

Firstly you tagged KevFitz and my profile name is kevinfitzgerald and I still got your message. You can probably tell IT is not my first language !

Slowly learning the lingo. Yes I've learnt how to start private convo's. I will need to try and find the threads you've posted this on as sounds interesting.

I like mad hypo stories. I still need to post some more !

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello there Mangobe,

Firstly you tagged KevFitz and my profile name is kevinfitzgerald and I still got your message. You can probably tell IT is not my first language !

Slowly learning the lingo. Yes I've learnt how to start private convo's. I will need to try and find the threads you've posted this on as sounds interesting.

I like mad hypo stories. I still need to post some more !

October 1981 me. What a great decade !