Diabetes and depression

marc1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a good mix I know but has anyone else suffered with severe depression whilst obviously trying to control there diabetes aswell?

Really struggling at the moment and feel really bad about it as my wife really has to put up with a lot from me.

I'm 28 and have been diabetic for 24 years. Since the age of 16 I'd say iv never had great control and even more so the last few years haven't been great at all.

I do my best to keep my levels at a good rate but with the whole depression thing I'm finding it more and more difficult.

Don't really have anyone to talk to about my issues and I'm sorry for raising such a horrible subject really but thought I'd get it off my chest and see what people have to say about it all.

I hope everyone's ok.

Thanks

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m type2 and have depression and struggle like you
it was my psychiartrist last year that got my gp surgery to do blood tests as my depression had got worse, that was when i found out i was diabetic
at the moment, i don,t know if its the diabetes or depression that is getting worse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have diabetes and I very down at the moment :(

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
You're a constant source of support to many of us, so I'm so sorry to hear you're down at the moment. Tomorrow will be a better day :)

Reactions: 6 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Not a good mix I know but has anyone else suffered with severe depression whilst obviously trying to control there diabetes aswell?

Really struggling at the moment and feel really bad about it as my wife really has to put up with a lot from me.

I'm 28 and have been diabetic for 24 years. Since the age of 16 I'd say iv never had great control and even more so the last few years haven't been great at all.

I do my best to keep my levels at a good rate but with the whole depression thing I'm finding it more and more difficult.

Don't really have anyone to talk to about my issues and I'm sorry for raising such a horrible subject really but thought I'd get it off my chest and see what people have to say about it all.

I hope everyone's ok.

Thanks
Hi marc1986,
I won't go on too much I'm 52 and have suffered servere depression since the age of 16 still have it to this day, tried all the therapies and types of medication available and still on them, I had hell of a lot of problems controlling my type 1 which I've had since 12, I know it's difficult, but firstly you've got to want to help yourself, get some sort of plan together see if your wife will help you, definately get your GP/ DSN involved. With some fine tuning and advice from outside you'll hopefully see an improvement. Have a chat to your DSN about a pump if you haven't considered it already, as soon as I started pumping in Nov 99 my diabetes improved almost instantly.
As for the depression good control of diabetes is a definate plus, but talk to people it helps I swear by it, I was and still can be a right miserable git, their are lots of things you can do for yourself, self help groups, and people at the end of the phone don't be alone it's nothing to be ashamed of.

C

catherinecherub

I hope everyone's ok.

Thanks

You could be suffering from diabetes burnout.

How do I know if I am suffering from diabetic burnout?
For once the answer is very simple -
Are you so sick and tired of being a diabetic and having to manage your disease that you have lost the motivation to do so and have just given up?

If the answer is yes then you are already suffering from burnout.

However if you have not quite got to the stage of no longer managing your diabetes but have any of the symptoms listed below you are well on the way to burnout and need help.

1. Are you frustration and anger at poor results despite all your efforts?
2. Are you worn down with the day to day management of your disease?
3. Were you highly committed but now have lost all motivation?
4. Are you depressed - does life seem to have lost all meaning?
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/diabetic-burnout.html

You are entitled to psychological help from your Diabetes Team. Please make an appointment to see your G.P. who can put you in touch with a psychologist/counsellor who will be able to help you. Nothing to be ashamed of and it happens to nice people. Managing a chronic condition 24/7 is something that people do get depressed about.

Reactions: 4 people

marc1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the replies guys really appreciate it.

Iv been docs and explained how I'm feeling etc, got put on anti depressant tablets, iv been taking them for two weeks so obviously still early days yet and nothing has changed.
It's just frustrating I guess.

I'll have a good couple of days then whack a bad day where I'm a grumpy one and can't keep my mouth shut and end up annoying the wife that much that we don't talk! She does struggle with my mood swings and I can't blame her for it being honest, it can't be nice but yeah, I'm not proud of being a pain in the backside more often than not at present.

Suffering with anxiety aswell and insecurities and paranoia etc. all emotions and feelings that I haven't had before so it is a struggle at the moment.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Marc

Welcome to forum. Glad you've found us.

I think the vast majority of us have experienced depression alongside our diabetes. T1's and T2's.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1427229798.832795.jpg

Perhaps its because we have these thoughts on top of daily living snxiety and stresses.

I have this printed out on my fridge now.
Mainly because I have my Mum coming to stay and she has no appreciation really of my thoughts...

I think that is one of the reasons of depression is because it really rakes another diabetic to really realise that we look ok on the outside but on the inside we have a lot more going on in our thoughts.

I also think males can find it extremely tough as they talk less if their real emotions than women, they can also be embarassed at personal private occurences that can occur with diabetes and also quite often they are the bread earners and feel they have to provide.

So you definitely aren't alone.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have good control of my diabetes, but I have suffered off and on with a mild-ish depression for about 10 years. I've never sought treatment partly because I was worried about the dr pushing pills on me and also because I recognise when its creeping up on me so I know, however bad it gets, it will disappear just as quickly as it arrived. Mine usually arrives for 2/3 week periods at a time, maybe 4/6 times a year.

So I've learned how to cope with it. That said, if it actually became crippling I'd be at the docs in a shot

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not

Iv been docs and explained how I'm feeling etc, got put on anti depressant tablets, iv been taking them for two weeks so obviously still early days yet and nothing has changed.

I'll have a good couple of days then whack a bad day where I'm a grumpy one and can't keep my mouth shut and end up annoying the wife that much that we don't talk! She does struggle with my mood swings and I can't blame her for it being honest, it can't be nice but yeah, I'm not proud of being a pain in the backside more often than not at present.

Suffering with anxiety aswell and insecurities and paranoia etc. all emotions and feelings that I haven't had before so it is a struggle at the moment.
Yes it's always our loved ones who take the brunt of the flak, it can be really frustrating for the other person as they don't understand the running of the daily injections/diet/moods and trying to balance them and feel good about yourself

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls

I hope everyone's ok.

Thanks
I was diagnosed with late onset T1 just a few months ago and it came as a bolt out of the blue. I went through a myriad of emotions, fear, anger, depression and finally determination to get D by the scruff of its neck. I have only got one life and I'm determined to hang onto it no matter what. I'd be the first to admit I'm fed up with this condition, but I'm learning to become more self disciplined and control this irritating disease. You have the rest of your life ahead of you and you must be positive, not just for yourself, but your wife as well. You have far more experience of diabetes than I do, but I've learned in the space of a few months that it's something that can be controlled. Yes, it's a rotten deal we've been handed, but never let it get the better of you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was diagnosed with late onset T1 just a few months ago and it came as a bolt out of the blue. I went through a myriad of emotions, fear, anger, depression and finally determination to get D by the scruff of its neck. I have only got one life and I'm determined to hang onto it no matter what. I'd be the first to admit I'm fed up with this condition, but I'm learning to become more self disciplined and control this irritating disease. You have the rest of your life ahead of you and you must be positive, not just for yourself, but your wife as well. You have far more experience of diabetes than I do, but I've learned in the space of a few months that it's something that can be controlled. Yes, it's a rotten deal we've been handed, but never let it get the better of you.

It does get the better of you sometimes when you have had it a while. Thats why so many children rebel, because they want to be like their friends...

Initial diagnosis is hard. I remember it very clearly.

It is not always easy, not to let diabetes impact on your thoughts. Yes, it can be controlled but the things that you are told at diagnosis alone can impact severely on your thoughts..."you will die early, you will get complications, and shown a ward if amputees, you'll get a medal when you get to 25 years with it"...... Of course those thoughts that I was given in my head have stayed with me....

There was no internet in those days to communicate with others...

So a lot of us diabetics that have lived with diabetes a long time can feel down at times. Its not a walk in the park to renew your driving licence every 3 years etc... Its things that non diabetics don't think about from passing their tests to 70 years old...

Theres a lot to diabetes and depression, and being positive isn't always easy.

Non diabetics get depression too, so its not just us, but I do believe it can be harder to cope with.
Saying all that, Marc.. You have found a great place for support here... Talk any time...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I would imagine 2 weeks will be too short a time to notice any big changes, stick with them and if matters don't improve then go back and see your gp, really hope you get through this difficult time in your life.

Reactions: 3 people

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
I am really sorry to hear about how low you are feeling. I have experienced a severe depression in my early twenties which I know was almost completely to do with diabetes and my negative relationship with it and so with food. More than twenty years later I am lucky enough to be still here and with two great kids and a marriage which has outlasted so many others around me.
Having said that I am once again pretty close to burn out myself and plan to discuss it when next at the clinic. My mistake has, over the last couple of years been I think to find other reasons for feeling low and not want to admit that I just find life with diabetes really exhausting on and off.
There is no way to take a break without feeling unwell is there, frustrating but do-able.
Take care, start talking and good luck.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Gosh Robin Im sorry you are feeling down.
You help so many people,what would we do without you.
I have relised what I thought was false hypos is anxiety and i am struggling with that at the moment.
Other people and family can make us depressed and worry,its not just diabetes.
I realy do hope you feel better tomorrow x x x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hope that you can pick yourself up RRB. Miss you.. Haven't seen you around too much this evening....

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Gosh Robin Im sorry you are feeling down.
You help so many people,what would we do without you.
I have relised what I thought was false hypos is anxiety and i am struggling with that at the moment.
Other people and family can make us depressed and worry,its not just diabetes.
I realy do hope you feel better tomorrow x x x

Sorry to hear you are struggling, please take care, Thank you Pat, tomorrow is another day with you lovely members X

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
RRB !!!!

Calling in .... take care.

Mike :)