What I like about being Diabetic

G

gemma6549

So I thought I'd go for a new angle :)

Firstly, I was diagnosed at 15 and finding out finally gave me the push I needed to move in with my dad, he was type 1 too and it gave me a whole new understanding of what life was like for him, meant I was better equipped to help him with hypos etc, and generally brought us closer together.

Routine, I like routine so the regular blood testing somehow satisfies that part of my personality, when I test and get a result in target range I feel really happy and proud of myself.

Free prescriptions, you have to admit it can be really handy!!

HCP's, I've met some great ones in my time and I'm so grateful for all the work the NHS and it's staff do, we are so unbelievably lucky in this country. I would love to move to America but I couldn't afford it!!

Regular monitoring with the doctors means that any other issues are picked up on in advance and other health issues are also dealt with in a more urgent manner because of the effect it can have on diabetes.

Other diabetics, particularly when I did the DAFNE course, I met some great people.

It encourages me to live a more active and healthy lifestyle, if I wasn't diabetic I might be a bit of a bum :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 people

PunkyRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are very positive about diabetes. I hope that the positivity from people like you rubs off on me.

Reactions: 6 people
G

gemma6549

You are very positive about diabetes. I hope that the positivity from people like you rubs off on me.

It's really not so bad, if I was gunna get a lifelong condition and had a choice I would definitely choose this one :)

Reactions: 4 people
G

gemma6549

I thought of another....if you have to go in for a day patient procedure/minor op in hospital you usually get the priority morning slot because of fasting beforehand :)

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some great points @gemma6549, pleased that you can see the positives in what can be a very difficult condition to live with.......... :)

Reactions: 2 people
G

gemma6549

Even the possibility of a reduced life expectancy means I tell my husband he has to let me retire early ;)

G

gemma6549

At the works Xmas do I get cheese and biscuits for dessert even though it's not on the menu :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Love this post @gemma6549 I like a lot of things about being diabetic too, I didn't always feel like this! But I've never felt more okay with it as I do now.

I was diagnosed aged 3 and as awful as it was for my parents I'm happy I was diagnosed then rather than a teen onwards, It was just a way of life for me, can't imagine my life without it really, I do think I'd be a different person.

I like that I can freak people out with needles & blood.

I like that I feel really clever when someone asks me a diabetes related question.

I like that I can eat sweets coz me blood is low (who else can actually use sweets to 'fix' themselves?!)

as you mentioned, free prescriptions - winner.

The people I've met on here - love.

I'll be back with more coz I know I could go on for ages but my brain is really sleepy lol x

Reactions: 10 people
G

gemma6549

Love this post @gemma6549 I like a lot of things about being diabetic too, I didn't always feel like this! But I've never felt more okay with it as I do now.

I was diagnosed aged 3 and as awful as it was for my parents I'm happy I was diagnosed then rather than a teen onwards, It was just a way of life for me, can't imagine my life without it really, I do think I'd be a different person.

I like that I can freak people out with needles & blood.

I like that I feel really clever when someone asks me a diabetes related question.

I like that I can eat sweets coz me blood is low (who else can actually use sweets to 'fix' themselves?!)

as you mentioned, free prescriptions - winner.

The people I've met on here - love.

I'll be back with more coz I know I could go on for ages but my brain is really sleepy lol x

Love this too :) sometimes I do get a bit excited about a hypo and make the tricky decision of what sweets to have

G

gemma6549

I also like that it's made me so much more educated on other things, health issues , what different tests and results mean.

I get a little sense of excitement if I see someone testing their blood or injecting and feel like I somehow know them in someway, I almost want to wave my hands at them and say "me too!"

I developed an eating disorder I don't think I would've had without diabetes, but again it's made me so much more knowledgable, stronger, and meant that I've been able to help others in their recovery

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought of another....if you have to go in for a day patient procedure/minor op in hospital you usually get the priority morning slot because of fasting beforehand :)
Not where I live!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get a little sense of excitement if I see someone testing their blood or injecting and feel like I somehow know them in someway, I almost want to wave my hands at them and say "me too!"

Yeah I feel like I'm instantly connected to someone if I see them injecting/finger pricking! Like we're from the same 'place' haha

Reactions: 14 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have to agree here... there are more of us with this lergy than we think :***:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
loving this thread.

Oddly my boss has since found that he likes my condition too since he now uses me as a weathervane to decided when to give the team a break if we are working some fairly phyical tasks.

Reactions: 9 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a very lovely thread :)
I also have lots of things that I like...

In particular, I LOVE a nice gadget, and what with pens, pumps, glucose meters and freestyle libre, I am well equipped with those :)

I also like a nice spreadsheet and a bit of data to play with, so that's all good too!

And as already mentioned, free prescriptions and CHEESE are bonuses too ;)

Reactions: 12 people