1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What I like about being Diabetic

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by gemma6549, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

LOL ! It's way cooler than the " rolled up trouser leg and funny handshake " thing ! :D

Signy

• Like Like x 5
  2. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You get free cheese?
    Yes, this is a good thread. As we used to sing, you gotta accentuate the positives, eliminate the negatives, latch on to the affirmatives: that's what gets results.
    All together now ...

• Like Like x 18
  3. Heathenlass

I'm not sure that from others perspectives , this is a good thing - that as more kit has come available over the years, I have become a " Kit Geek " capable of boring the pants off non "D's" and accumulating a historical time line of defunct meters, strips, pens etc :confused:

Well, I suppose everyone has to have a hobby - not sure if it's a good thing or not ! :D

Signy

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

OMG IMAGINE IF WE GOT FREE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: oh the excitement! :D

• Like Like x 10
  5. Heathenlass

Oh yeah yeah ! :D That would be a GOOD thing ! :D

But wait , wait ... what if we got prescribed a well rounded mature cheddar, got used and dependent on that, then the pricing authority decreed that NHS cheese would henceforth be Tesco Value Mild ?:eek::eek:

Oh the horror !:depressed:

Signy

• Like Like x 8
  6. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm T2 controlled by diet but the positives for me are that I was finally diagnosed withan under active thyroid as part of my BS screening and am now, at last, receiving treatment for it - free prescriptions. It has also made me re-access my diet and lifestyle and I now feel fitter and healthier than pre diagnosis and I have qalso proved the consultant who, many years ago, told me that I was one of his few patients who could blame their metabolism for being over weight and I would find it nearly impossible to lose weight because in the last year I've lost 3 stone and it's still going down - and I'm also in jeans and trousers without an elasticated waist :)

• Like Like x 12
  7. AndyS

AndyS Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wait what's wrong with rolling up a trouser leg? Got a rather nice tattoo on show if I do that.
    And as for funny handshakes, well depends on the handshake.

Also... free cheese? Damn I need to find out how to get this free cheese on prescription.

• Like Like x 6
  8. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not for much longer there's a promise of fifty billion quids worth of cuts and a lot of the financial gurus are saying to remove that amount of money from the people of this country has to include the above and the hardest hit are going to be those in work.

9. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They smoke cheese round here .....

• Like Like x 9
  10. Didnt plan for this

Didnt plan for this Type 1 · Member

MMmmmm........nothing like free cheese. Let's start a campaign! ;)

On a serious note, I like this thread too. Its all too easy to notice the negatives and forget the positives......I've often thought since my Type 1 diagnosis that insulin was discovered less than 100 years ago, which really isn't that long. If any of us had been born back then, well......no need to say anymore. That's something to be thankful for! :happy: Then all the advances since then, BG monitoring, insulin pumps!

On a lighter note! I do quite like the organisational element of diabetes, appeals to my control freak side! Pretty good 'fit' illness for me. My husband is always teasing me about my supplies being organised into pouches for this.....bags for that....boxes for the other in the fridge.....
    :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
  11. Didnt plan for this

Oh.....and I quite like trying to kid myself that a little bit of plumpness is okay as it makes cannula insertion less painful! ;)

• Like Like x 7
  12. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

Hey we all need a bit of warmth in the winter :) I'm done spending my life trying to be skinny

• Like Like x 6
  13. Flowerpot

Flowerpot Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I felt like going over and embracing the only person I have ever spotted getting his pump out in a cafe and bolusing for food. Seeing someone out there in the natural environment - rather than in a pump clinic where it's odds on favourite - really made me smile. I wanted to shout out "Do you want to see mine?" except the poor bloke would have thought I was deranged.

Buying a pretty pencil case for all the pump bits and pieces, spare pen etc I carry round, it's like that start of new school term feeling when you were able to choose new pencils and felt tips.

• Like Like x 10
  14. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

@gemma6549 -- absolutely cool thread :)

I love my life and had I not been diabetic many things may have turned out differently.
    I like the odd glass or 3 of red wine which my BG's tolerate very well:D

Most importantly being diabetic has allowed me to view others with compassion for I am indeed lucky.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Heathenlass

Compassion - good point. It was having diabetes that influenced my career choice . Otherwise I would have been a vet. And a whole lot richer ! Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

Signy

• Like Like x 9
  16. Didnt plan for this

:hilarious: Thanks for making me laugh flowerpot - I would be exactly the same in the cafe situation! Lol

Totally agree its like being at school when you get all the kit and organise it - another little plus! There is a quote about enjoying the small pleasures in life!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Didnt plan for this

Too true Gemma6549 - and energy bills are already too high, so I consider the extra layer of self insulation a green, energy saving measure! I'm very environmentally conscious like that me.....;)

• Like Like x 7
  18. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

Exactly looking after yourself and the planet :) like it!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This has really made me smile...thanks for brightening my day everyone :)

• Like Like x 11
  20. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Well some folks dont even have a hobby, not that I am saying that this is a good reason to get D mind you.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook